PDA

View Full Version : sonning air ambulance incident

elvistheopsman
20th Aug 2001, 19:19
Meridian TV has just approached us to film an incident on railway line at Sonning (15:30hrs). An air ambulance unit landed on the railway embankment and promptly toppled over. Thruxton boys won the job I think - That is all I know but should be on 6pm local news.

Scant knowledge Im afraid but thats all the TV guy would let on.. Anyone know any more on this? :eek: :eek:

Rotorbike
20th Aug 2001, 19:44
From Meridian Online

MAN SERIOUSLY INJURED IN RAIL ACCIDENT

A man has been seriously injured after being hit by a train in Berkshire.

It is thought he was thrown off a railway bridge by Pound Lane near the village of Sonning.

The man, in his mid-twenties, lost a leg after being struck by a First Great Western Train.

He has been airlifted to the Royal Berkshire Hospital in Reading.

elvistheopsman
20th Aug 2001, 20:16
Hmm... not sure where TV man got the idea that the air ambulance was in trouble. Chinese whispers I suppose. Glad to stand corrected though.

Rotorbike
20th Aug 2001, 20:51
Meridian Online change their story:

RAIL DISRUPTION FOR BERKSHIRE COMMUTERS

Commuters face a long journey home tonight after an air ambulance became stuck on the railway line near Sonning in Berkshire.

The helicopter was attempting to rescue a man who had been hit by a train near the village of Sonning.

The man, in his mid-twenties, lost a leg after being struck by a First Great Western Train.

The line between Reading and London Paddington remains closed. This means there are no First Great Western services or Thames Trains services between Paddington and Reading and all the stations in between.

Customers coming from London are being told to travel to Waterloo and use the South West Trains service to Reading which is unaffected.

Rotorbike
20th Aug 2001, 21:00
Further news
http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100national/page.cfm?objectid=11250184&method=full

Rotorbike
21st Aug 2001, 12:59
INVESTIGATIONS CONTINUE INTO SONNING RAIL INCIDENT

Investigations are continuing this morning into why a motorist crashed his car and then made his way onto railway lines near Reading. The driver was then hit by a train and suffered severe injuries. The Thames Valley Air Ambulance was called to the line in the village of Sonning yesterday afternoon but got stuck on the tracks and was unable to move. The man was taken to the Royal Berkshire Hospital by land ambulance.

Source Meridian Online

Vfrpilotpb
21st Aug 2001, 13:12
Part of the centre concrete drain/wire conduit broke or slipped allowing the landing gear to fall into the void trapping the Hems/heli on the ground, Pilot decided it would be wrong to take off. Right decision! :eek:

Qualityman
21st Aug 2001, 15:14
Depending upon which region's News report you happened to catch, the story varied quite a bit.

Meridian said that the Air Ambulance was called out to the site, arrived spectacularly quickly and positioned into a fairly difficult site. The crew then stabilised the casualty and loaded him into the heli. At this point the Road Ambulance arrived and it was decided that in the interests of everyone concerned, i.e. The casualty, the Police, the Crew and onlookers, that it would be safer to transfer the casualty to hospital by road.

The Air Ambulance then lifted safely and returned to base with minimal fuss and delay. On the whole they portrayed a very positive and supportive picture of the role of the Air Ambulance Service and the fine chaps and lasses that crew it.

The BBC however played on the fact that the Rail service suffered form even longer delays due to the "Air Ambulance breaking down on the tracks." Come on Auntie Beeb, that's just not Cricket.

Which brings me to another point totally unrelated to Aviation but I'm sure some of you Gentlemen Aviators out there will have an opinion. How well would England have faired if Australia hadn't declared so early on Sunday?

Vfrpilotpb
21st Aug 2001, 17:42
Speaking for some of the fanatical Northern Tribes, who wear Union Jack Jock Straps, I would have thought without a shadow of a doubt the we would have most probably LOST :mad:

4Rvibes
21st Aug 2001, 17:51
Notwithstanding the actual facts contained in the above reports, undercarriage on an EMS helicopter should be down and welded at all times. :D

Roofus
21st Aug 2001, 23:49
Bit of bad luck for the pilot!

But by 'eck I've been saying for years, years I tell ya, that EMS Helicopters need them there skids!
Wheels just don't perform the wear a nice shiny set of skids do!
Have I ever told you....OUCH! Okay, Okay! I'll shut up!

Capn Notarious
22nd Aug 2001, 01:11
Was the camera running during the great descent. Because for certain if there is video footage: it is the only chance for mere mortals to witness an earthbound machine doing what Father Christmas does

Capn Notarious
22nd Aug 2001, 01:19
That question is for Roofus and his event: not the alpha alpha pilot

PANews
22nd Aug 2001, 02:42
There is one aspect of the 'incident' relating to the TVAC landing that has not been discussed.

I did not click onto it straight off but A N other raised it...

We know that the concrete culvert cover cracked a dropped the wheel partly into a 6 foot [2 meteres for the decimal chaps] void. And the after math was a 3 hour halt in the rail service because all four MR blades covered all four tracks [it would have been alright with an early two blade Bell type].

But who pays?

Each of the rail passengers stands to be compensated for up to 3 hours of delay. Is that cost finally down to Railtrack [the track operator], the train operator [Virgin, GW Trains etc] or the air ambulance?

As the air ambulance was invited onto the tracks [and they have done it before without incident] and was 'working' to remove the injured party from Railtrack property it may be down to the Railtrack insurance.

If not ....

I will ask about, but please chew on it if you care to.

Roofus
22nd Aug 2001, 04:42
Capt N. Sorry to say it wasn't. But if you're at the GatBash I do a good impression on a swivel chair! (no rude comments please!)
:p

PA. I don't know who is liable, but RailTrack reckon it costs £180 per minute delay, not including passenger compensation. So I suspect they ain't happy!

1S1
22nd Aug 2001, 06:23
Skids are for kids ;)