PDA

View Full Version : 'Jet Time'

Prophead
15th Nov 2005, 12:23
This may be a stupid question but....

I have heard that many airlines are interested in Jet time rather than SEP. I am about to start hour building and was thinking about buying a share in an aircraft.

Would hours in a Jet Provost be classed as Jet time and would it be any benefit when applying to the airlines.

Regards

Mike

mad_jock
15th Nov 2005, 12:46
Nope I am afriad not.

Not only would it be highly expensive way of hour building. The airlines are looking for pax/frieght jet time in a multi crew enviroment.

MJ

scroggs
17th Nov 2005, 07:08
A JP is a light aircraft with a jet engine (constant thrust, variable noise in my experience!), and will not count as 'jet time' for any airline.

Scroggs

A320rider
17th Nov 2005, 09:56
you need twin jet!

----------

Engine: One 2,500-pound thrust Bristol Siddeley Viper Mk 202 turbojet
Weight: Empty 4,888 lbs., Max Takeoff 9,200 lbs.
Wing Span: 35ft. 4in.
Length: 34ft. 0in.
Height: 10ft. 2in.
Performance:
Maximum Speed: 440 mph
Ceiling: 36,700 ft.
Range: 900 miles
Armament: None, although export versions featured two 7.62-mm (0.3-inch) machine guns, plus underwing hardpoints for a wide variety of bombs, rockets, or missiles.

Number Built: 520+

scroggs
28th Nov 2005, 10:07
Charley, your generalisations are broadly correct, though they should be obvious to anyone other than a casual observer.

Don't put too much credence in stories about ex-military people. Some may be true, but most are wishful thinking on the part of those who have a grudge against our pointy-nosed friends!

The ZFT thing is a bit of a red herring. It can be a problem if an airline conducts only ZFT courses - in which case, they're probably employing only experienced, type-rated pilots. Most airlines that take a renge of experience will accept that some of those they employ will not qualify for ZFT courses, and so they'll have to run some non-ZFT courses. The Jetstream is less than 12.5 tonnes, but is still multi-turbine and (generally) multi-pilot, and thus a bloody good type to have on your licence if your looking to get into airline flying.

Scroggs