PDA

View Full Version : Moving from scheduled airlines to biz jets

aces low
15th Nov 2005, 09:40
I would welcome people's views on what is the best way of moving from commercial scheduled turboprop ops (as F/O) to business jets (multicrew). Airline flying is great but as a natural 'variety seeker' I think that there must be something more to flying than the constant repetition of routes.

Anybody out there have any ideas or views of a process for change, pitfalls to avoid etc?

Jarema
18th Nov 2005, 16:41
Frankly, I know a lot of people who moved from business aviation to airlines and are happy but I don't know any who left airline for business jets.

It might be difficult to get used to be ready to work most of time.

farmer jo
18th Nov 2005, 18:27
Aces Low
I left a UK major (Captain 737) for the corporate world 15 years ago for the reasons you mention. I could not stand earlies or lates !! from LHR to BFS,EDi, GLA etc I have now been with the same company since then and really enjoy the way of life. These two week involve a trip to States, at present in Mid East then Africa. Not for everyone but good fun sometimes very busy some time no flying for 3 weeks ! C'est la vie - Good Luck

4HolerPoler
18th Nov 2005, 20:02
PPRuNe Towers and I are just another two examples of airline types who migrated to the corporate arena. Both, as far as I know, thoroughly enjoyed our airline time, but grasped the opportunity to make the move and have no regrets in doing so.

If you have the same opportunity, assess the respective pros & cons & make your decision.

Best wishes.

4HP

aces low
19th Nov 2005, 08:40
I appreciate your comments. I have had some exposure as a pilot assistant, and have some idea of what I would be getting myself into, and think that the discipline of airline ops. is helpful to being a safe pilot.

I am a little confused as to how to go about moving across to the corporate sphere. All the jobs I see advertised (for FOs) seem to be for guys already rated on type...and I cannot afford to retype myself. Are there jobs out there for non-rated pilots? Has anybody got any suggestions as to how to start?

Thanks again

moku
19th Nov 2005, 09:03
Try applying to NetJets Europe. They will type you.

I used to do corporate work in the US and loved it. I am now with a UK regional airline and finding it not as fun as corporate. I think I will end going back in a few years. Much more fun and varied.
I did not have a problem with living off my mobile. Planning for concert and Theatre etc was tricky. I used to keep uniform, overnight bag etc in my car just in case I was out and about when the call came in. Worked well.

M.

aces low
19th Nov 2005, 09:08
Thanks. I have an application in with NetJets, but no repsonse yet. I hear they can be strangely picky.?

4HolerPoler
19th Nov 2005, 19:41
I hear they can be strangely picky? As is their right - it's their train-set.

Your comment "I have had some exposure as a pilot assistant" raises the concern that you have a long way to go on the experience chain before you can seriously consider a position with a corporate operator.

4HP

tarjet fixated
20th Nov 2005, 10:35
I would love to hear from former airline Cpt.'s like Farmer Jo; i am currently considering a life/career change from a major to the biz world and any personal comments and experiences would be greatly appreciated...i can tell you guys it's not an easy decision.
I am mainly interested in what you miss the most about the airlines and what you gained the most after the switch.

aces low
20th Nov 2005, 12:10
4HolerPoler, my comment regarding NetJets Europe was based upon comments that have been passed to me by applicants and from what I have read on Pprune. I'll be the first to admit I don't have the required experience of corporate flying...hence the reason for my initial posting!

Classic Catch 22? I cant get the experience without getting the job first. So to bring the thread back on track, how to get that first job.?

AFCAS TARGET
25th Nov 2005, 19:12
Was wondering the same thing myself. Have a few hours in the airline world but would really like biz jet gig, just suits my mind set. Any tips on how to get started???

Neptunus Rex
26th Nov 2005, 09:29
aces low

Check this site:

http://aviation-safety.net/index.php

Click on 'database' and you can view aircraft accidents by type. Bizjets seem to have suffered and inordinate number of hull losses over the years. So, be prepared to have to stand up for yourself in the face of a captain or owner trying to press on in adverse conditions. Most operators are nothing but completely professional but check the stats and draw your own conclusions.

All the best with whichever path you choose,

Neppie :cool: