PDA

View Full Version : SQ FO or CX SO

a_320busdriver
15th Nov 2005, 07:00
Hi, was just wondering what is the opinion out there about joining SQ as a FO versus CX as a SO? In terms of upgrade time to wide body capt and long term career move? I have searched for this a lot and have not really found much. Thanks

BANANASBANANAS
15th Nov 2005, 07:06
Both are good companys to work for but consider the wider aspects such as cost of living in each country.

I was recently offered positions in HKG and SIN and HKG is a financial struggle for a single guy. If you are married with a young family its almost impossible. Also consider health issues. The industrial smog that blows in from mainland China is not healthy.

For me SQ wins every time but you have to decide for yourself what your priorities are. Both are good airlines and will provide career progression for you.

a_320busdriver
15th Nov 2005, 07:15
I understand that at CX upgrade time to capt from SO is around 9 years or so. How long is the wait for upgrade to capt as an FO at SQ?

huckleberry58
15th Nov 2005, 07:33
Generally minimum of 8 years in SQ. You can't really compare a SO in SQ to one in CX because a SO in SQ is purely under training for around 8 months whereas one in CX is operational and will remain a SO for 3 years as a cruise relief pilot. Paywise, CX is obviously much better and IMHO you will save much more. Lifestyle wise i would say Singapore is a better place to stay.

Left Wing
15th Nov 2005, 08:54
SQ eyes closed wins. Life style and schooling, also level of english is very good.

Virtual Reality
15th Nov 2005, 08:58
CX SO is much better, although it takes almost 9-10 years to be upgraded to Capt (from date of join), at least you know that you will be upgraded (or at least to undergo command assessment board) compare to SQ, unless there is no local who qualified at that time, you will remain on the right seat forever.

a_320busdriver
15th Nov 2005, 09:11
huckleberry58

I was asking about SQ FO not SO and CX SO.......

It seems upgrade time at SQ is also around 9 years. Is it longer for expats?
Anyone out there who was an SQ FO and is now a Capt - how long of a wait?

LOK
15th Nov 2005, 16:31
a_320busdriver,

You have raised a very interesting topic!Unfortunately all replies on different PPRune Forums on how long to expect command upgrade with SIA Cargo as an expat FO joining on local terms are very vague.Can anybody please help us on this topic and provide an accurate answer?

Thank you

huckleberry58
16th Nov 2005, 00:17
Oh, oops. Sorry.

jollyt
16th Nov 2005, 03:47
Virtual Reality, fact is all FOs in SQ are on national terms regardless of nationality and the selection for command does not favour any nationality only that once you have been selected, all else being equal, the local goes on the earlier course. This has been going on for many years now with many foreigners of different nationalitiesgiven their shot at it. Average time, 8-10 years

akistar
18th Nov 2005, 03:32
CX is the best. SQ is just a copy cat.
SQ FO work like a slave. Command upgrade for expats FO is 10yrs minimum. During your ten years, you are subjected to scrunity. One slight defect will cause you 6 months deferment, and it adds on, two defects...1 year. Your ten years are on local terms. If you are upgraded to captain, you are still on local terms. You will not be able to afford the 2-3 thousands Singapore Dollars/child for your kids' education each month in the int'l schools...

CX SO is 9 years...that is fixed, based on seniority...all on expats terms

By the way, just to add, an SO starting salary in CX with expats terms is earning more than a captain in SQ on local terms

Dani
18th Nov 2005, 08:14
I don't think so :rolleyes:

cpt744
18th Nov 2005, 15:05
Short answer: CX

Long answer:
Depends on your (your family) likings of the 2 cities in terms of life-style. For this part, best way is to bring family to both places and hear what they want to say..

As for your career choice, depends on how good you are in getting used to SQ's assessment of potential commanders. Don't listen to ONE sided opinion that it will regardless take you 10 years to make Captain. I have in my personal contact 2 young and bright chaps with recognized flying experience that made commanders on the A340-300 after 5yrs odd as expat FOs (this is at least 4-5years ago and yes they ARE on local terms) and definitely were one of the youngest Captains at their time and they are still with SQ. For those who are doing well BUT without prior heavy equipment hours, most make it in 8-9yrs if they met the requirement (sectors and hours).

Money wise, you won't do so well if joining SQ in the LONG RUN. CX Captain's pay in terms of NETT gain should be double of SQ's, though I do stand corrected on this part as I have lost touch of CX pay package. This is the reason why my short answer of CX being the better choice as SQ's overall welfare is at best playing small time catch up with CX and since you are prepare to aim for a decade duration for command prospect you might as well choose CX, which takes much better care of expats.

Well whichever your choice is, all the best..

skyskyhigh
19th Nov 2005, 06:04
I agree with CAPT744 about his short answer : go for CX !!!!!!!!!

I would not hesitate and go for CX ! You have much more respect as an expat pilot than SQ will give you . SQ is and should be still a great employer and you will fly for a worldairline but this is what CX is as well .

About pay , CX is so much better (and yes I would reckon almost double than SQ , don't know the SQ package just the big guidelines ) .

But above the pay , CX gives so much more benefits such as better allowances for renting/purchase , much better ID /Interline agreements (as SQ just gives a few tickets ECONOMY per year depending on your years with the company according to a friend SQ Capt on expat terms )

Life in HKG , a great city , you got everything (and yes we do have the pollution ) especially if single or without children . But even with children (my case) is it still enjoyable for the moment and we really have good children education allowances , so we can choose any school we want .
Life in HK or SING ., I do like Singapore as well but is kind of small . OK easy to drive to Malaysia etc .....the main difference between HK and SING , HK the city to be when single/no children and SING for a family according to me . But these are personal choices .

career just take CX if you have the choice . You will have a great pilot career in a great city and working for a greaat airline , do not forget we do get First Class ID tickets , which is quiet fun to fly ....some extra pay if one has to compare the econ ID tickets with SQ ....OK one does,t fly all the time ID but as an expat you will go back to your country or take holidays outside your base .

But you have to make the decision , me I keep SQ in my mind for later as a kind of finishing the flying and being able to live once in Singapore .

Good luck