PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair turned down by HIAL

Spoonbill
24th Oct 2001, 19:17
Read in the business pages of the Scotsman newspaper, (Mon 22/10/2001), that Highlands & Islands Airports Ltd had refused permission for Ryanair to operate (presumably from Inverness), as there was no requirement for their operations.
HIAL are probably terrified that EZY/BRAL would throw their teddies out the cot.
Astonishing arrogance on behalf of the HIAL management.

The Groover
24th Oct 2001, 19:34
Spoonbill, don't believe all you read in the Trotsman !

My understanding is that HIAL refused to reduce the very favourable rates they had offered to Ryanair to operate STN-INV.

Well done to HIAL for having the backbone to stand up to the bully boy tactics that Ryanair seem to enjoy using.

As it is WE, the taxpayer that mostly keeps HIAL afloat (which I certainly dont have a problem with ), why should we also have to subsidise Ryanair ??

Arrogance my ar*e !!

TG

------------------------------------

That's the way its goin' down...........baby :mad: :mad:

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: The Groover ]

Hooligan Bill
25th Oct 2001, 14:16
The Groover is spot on. For the year 2000/2001, HIAL received between 10 and 15 million pounds in subsidies. Without these the airports would cease to operate as none of them operated at a profit (INV -2.6 million).

Having lived and worked in the region I am only too aware what a vital part of the community the airports are, and like the Groover am quite happy to pay my bit to keep them going. However, I would not be that happy to subsidise what is a for profit organisation, which only days ago was moaning that other airlines should not be receiving Government handouts.

HIAL already offers an incentive package (the one that Ryanair have turned down) to start up routes and any change to that would be a stab in the back to those airlines that have been operating the routes for a number of years, through good and bad times.