PDA

View Full Version : SAA pax stranded at LOS

Gunship
14th Nov 2005, 18:43
About 100 South African Airways (SAA) passengers were stranded at Lagos International Airport in Nigeria on Monday, SABC radio news reported.

Among them were Gertrude Mongella, president of the Pan African Parliament, and cabinet ministers from various African countries as well as an SABC news crew.

The public broadcaster quoted SAA spokesperson Sarah Uys saying repairs to the airport runway restricted the weight departing aircraft were allowed to carry.

"Those passengers we could not move will get to Johannesburg by tomorrow, either with us or other carriers," Uys said on Monday.

LINK (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_1834240,00.html)

Flying Touareg
15th Nov 2005, 19:15
are they home now?:rolleyes:

Gunship
16th Nov 2005, 02:30
Dunno - it is SAA you know .. maybe they went "tech" :E

SortieIII
16th Nov 2005, 06:21
The public broadcaster quoted SAA spokesperson Sarah Uys saying repairs to the airport runway restricted the weight departing aircraft were allowed to carry.

Maybe it is because the one remaining partially serviceable runway at LOS does not allow take-off above a certain MGW?

:confused:

surely not
16th Nov 2005, 06:49
Spot on Sortie III, it is the weight limitation of the Lagos runway that is causing the problem. Apparently they can only operate at 70% load factor, and even then they have been going via Accra to top up with fuel.

If the pax are still stranded in LOS on the 24th Nov they could jump on the first Virgin Nigeria flight to JNB:D :ok:

Gunship
16th Nov 2005, 07:57
SN you are bragging mate .. ;)

PS: SAA never wanted to refuel at ACC as they said it was always to expensive.

Surely not ... the wheel turns ;)

SortieIII
16th Nov 2005, 08:05
SN...any idea when RWY 18R at LOS will open for business again?

Gunss, AFAIK SAA has not tankered fuel to LOS for a loooong time!:D

Gunship
16th Nov 2005, 08:09
Lo Sortie III ... what is AFAIK ?

I pressume you say they do not refuel there either ?

I know they normally go back on the same fuel.

I could never believe it until an SAA A340 diverted to Windhoek from ACC / LOS :cool:

surely not
16th Nov 2005, 08:30
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

AFAIK the restriction is take off ex LOS. SAA cannot take a full load and fuel ex LOS due to runway restrictions, therefore they take as much as possible then go to ACC to top up, spending approx 1 hr on the ground.

I also heard that the overnight work on the runway at LOS didn't finish on time this a.m and a couple of a/c diverted into ACC to await opening.

No idea when the rwy will be properly back on line SortieIII

Gunship
16th Nov 2005, 08:43
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Tx mate.

never too late to learn a new thing or two.

114-3 .. ;)