PDA

View Full Version : Chances of employment on Helis..........

Richie Coulson
31st Dec 2000, 04:39
From a new CPL point of view, whats the current situation and likelyhood of getting a professional helicopter flying job??

Are there any sponsorship schemes around? Whats the score with Bristow and the larger operations?? Whats the chances of instucting??

In adittion, whats the route to a CPL (H)??

Thanks in advance

Rich

helimutt
31st Dec 2000, 14:49
Hi Rich,
Don't take what I say as gospel but I am presently following the self improver route to a commercial licence. I am doing it the old CAA way as the JAR way is still in transition stage for helis and no-one seems to be able to make up their minds. I gained the assistant instructor rating earlier in the year but the jobs are far and few between. I have the CPL tech exams in Feb but this will leave me with about 300 hours and an AFI rating plus a CPL(H)(R)when I also comlete the Nav subjects. The R being a restricted licence due to JAR regs. The chance of employment is dependant on your flying skills, total time/experience, who you know. There are sponsorships about but not many. There should be an upturn in the industry in the next couple of years , hopefully, as spending over 40,000 pounds and not having a job is a difficult position for anyone to put themselves into.
My e-mail for any further info I can give is [email protected]

Mikey.

Whirlybird
31st Dec 2000, 22:07
Rich,

The present route to a CPL(H) is 150 hours TT including 50 (might be 55) hours P1, the CAA ground exams, and a 30 hour course leading to the commercial GFT. As helimutt says, this is a restricted CPL, though what it's restricted to I'm not certain - the UK I think. The instructors rating if you want it now comes afterwards.

This is all in the process of changing to JAR, and you need a partial pass in the ground exams by June 2001, and to pass all of them by the end of 2001, though there are rumours that this may be extended. And of course you need a Class 1 medical.

I'm not an expert but I'm in the middle of studying for the ground exams, so I'll be happy to answer anything else if I can.

------------------
Whirly

To fly is human, to hover, divine.

Thomas coupling
1st Jan 2001, 02:13
Refer to the previous thread headed:"what are my chances" for a debate on the subject...

http://www.gograph.com/Images-7298/AnimatedGif/redstar.gif

------------------
TC

SPS
2nd Jan 2001, 17:51
I wouldn't have too much false hope pinned on UK instructing right now.

As the rules changed last year (1st Jan 2000)
making CPL H a requirement for any Heli.inst. rating there was a huge rush of trainees beforehand, followed by a glut of AFI's afterward.

BUT in few years time (when the dust has settled and more people are put off by having to go to the huge expense of CPL to earn little money instructing) there will be a shortfall.