PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Leary: Air France strike a blow for the common man!

glennox
14th Nov 2005, 08:14
http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2005/11/13/story9675.asp

BEagle
14th Nov 2005, 08:38
Couldn't he afford Business Class.....?

Even though I despise the way Ryanair is widely reported as treating its staff, I do not wallow in schadenfreude at MoL being bumped as reported. Or any other non-volunteer passenger, for that matter.

Back before security-paranoia days I used to be able to carry everything I needed for a weekend in a carry-on bag. So as I only had hand luggage, if the flight was overbooked and volunteers were requested to transfer to a later flight, then I would consider doing so.

But now that there'd probably be something the security people didn't like, no matter how careful I'd been when packing, I invariably take hold luggage and a small briefcase. So I would be very unlikely to volunteer to switch flights (and even more so airlines) if the flight was overbooked.

GlueBall
14th Nov 2005, 09:18
A tight wad multimillionaire who is still trying to make chickensalad out of chickensh!t. :{

Globaliser
14th Nov 2005, 09:42
BEagle: Even though I despise the way Ryanair is widely reported as treating its staff, I do not wallow in schadenfreude at MoL being bumped as reported. Or any other non-volunteer passenger, for that matter.I agree. And this is the first time that I have read MOL being quoted as saying something pretty humble and reasonable. I'm no fan of MOL or FR, but this made a refreshing change to read, and it sounds to me like he did the right thing this time.

EI-CFC
14th Nov 2005, 10:47
He seemed to take it quite well. People get bumped off flights all the time in the airline world, and MOL knows that as well as anyone.

manintheback
14th Nov 2005, 11:27
quote:

I thought heads of airlines were flown free as a courtesy on other airlines?

EI-CFC
14th Nov 2005, 13:34
Couldn't he afford Business Class.....?

Business Class pax get bumped too! Although, I'm not sure MOL would be too bothered with Business Class on a short haul route. Maybe he prefers to sit with the common people :D

I thought heads of airlines were flown free as a courtesy on other airlines?

I don't know what the situation on that is to be honest.

Avman
14th Nov 2005, 13:54
So why in the first place didn't he fly Paris-Dublin-Liverpool with his own airline? Nothing to do with the fact that his Paris (Beauvais) airport is 65 miles from Paris by any chance?!!

MarkD
14th Nov 2005, 14:15
I wonder how many people got excited at

O'Leary bumped off

EI-CFC
14th Nov 2005, 16:38
Perhaps a Liverpool - Beauvais route will be in the offing.. :D