PDA

View Full Version : cao48 3 crew ops

Mango
14th Nov 2005, 05:56
Can sombody explaine the following to me.

From the regs 48.1 para3. 3 or more crew

3.5 An operator shall not roster a pilot for a tour of duty in excess of:
(a) 16 hours for turbo-jet type aircraft; and
(b) 18 hours in other types of aircraft, except where specifically varied by CASA.

3.6 An operator shall not roster a pilot in excess of a total of 14 hours of active duty in any tour of duty.

3.7 An operator shall not roster a pilot in excess of 8 consecutive hours of active duty in any tour of duty.

What is confusing me is...shall not be rostered for 16hrs turbo jet and 18hrs other types...but then, shall not be rostered 14hrs active duty...and then, shall not roster for 8 consecutive hrs of active duty.

slice
14th Nov 2005, 07:25
I think active duty refers to the time spent actually involved with the operation of an Aircraft as opposed to dead-head transport, rest within a single shift etc.

So a single tour of duty must not exceed 18 hrs (16 hrs turbojet)

but only 14 hrs can be made up of duties actively associated with operation of an aircraft (other 4 hours can only be transit rest, deadhead transport, ground transfers etc)

Furthermore only 8 hours of active duty can be done at a time.

So a tour could look something like this

7 hours duty 4 hours transit rest 5 hours duty - that would comfortably allow say a Syd-Per-Syd in a 727.

Just my interpretation - I could be wrong

mustafagander
14th Nov 2005, 09:13
A little RTFQ needed here.

3 crew means 1 too many pilots for the window seats. Hence they can all have some time out of the seat. Time in the seat = active duty, total time = tour of duty. NB Rest time can be while in the air and for our operations usually is.

I think the CAOs further specify the different types of rest facilities on board - seat or bunk.

Mango
14th Nov 2005, 10:48
Thanks 'mustafagander & slice'

That was the direction I was stearing towards but wanted to make sure.

:ok: