PDA

View Full Version : Virtual MODE - C

jumpuFOKKERjump
13th Nov 2005, 22:33
Was watching a dyslexic spud with no MODE-C wander across my screen squawking 2100 yesterday and had a sudden brainwave that may revolutionise life for such, um, spuds.

Viewers, when blundering about with no MODE-C terrorying RPT flights 10,000 FT above you why not advertise what you are actually at by squawking your altitude. At 3,500 FT AMSL squark 3500, at 6,500 FT AMSL squawk 6500. Its a generic code coz it ends in double zero so nothing can go wrong.

Don't fly at 7,500 FT AMSL

Patron of the League of Irresponsible Aviators and Radar Separators

bushy
13th Nov 2005, 22:58
What is a "dyslexic spud" Can't you speak english that peolpe might understand?

ThrillHouse
13th Nov 2005, 23:14
Perhaps he/it was at A021? Duh.;)

Cloud Cutter
14th Nov 2005, 04:22
I'm interested that your TCAS shows the aircraft squark code, how many do this? Apart from that I think it's a silly idea (sorry), you're not surposed to use the info displayed on your TCAS to provide seperation, let alone some micky-mouse, homemade version.

Do you have much non-trasponder mandatory controled airspace in Aus? We've all but done away with it meaning no aircraft can operate in controled airspace without Mode C, unless given an exemption. Of course if the aircraft is operating below controled airspace you can be fairly happy it's nowhere near you anyway.

DirtyPierre
14th Nov 2005, 10:46
Ah guys, perhaps he is being, ah, ...... ironic?

nike
14th Nov 2005, 15:06
Cloud, are you serious?????

Pressing the "profile" button might give you a little clue as to what sort of screen said a/c was pottering across.

Cloud Cutter
14th Nov 2005, 19:20
Roger, will stop feeling jeallous that my TCAS only shows a little dot :O

Capt Claret
14th Nov 2005, 21:14
Perhaps jumpuFOKKERjump's screen was in a radar room, not a cokpit? :}

Uncommon Sense
14th Nov 2005, 22:08
This is an argument I often have with myself - and all too frequently lose.... and win!

Which is safer or less safe - assume Primary Radar Coverage exists?

MODE A only Transponder (Usually ALT capable - just that the "spud" driving it has never been told the difference between ON and ALT), or No Transponder.

You might be surprised at how the respective targets get treated by ATC.

There is only one safest option - if you have got Mode C - Squawk the bloody Altitude. (Remember - You often only get 500' sep with Heavy Aircraft in the landing configuration - hint: wake turbulence.)

nike
15th Nov 2005, 04:42
and stop calling me roger