PDA

View Full Version : WONDERFUL Wooden Wonder, the Mosquito.

Noah Zark.
13th Nov 2005, 18:59
In my loft, trawling through heaps of old Av mags, I came across this article in Roger Bacon's "Straight & Level" page, in the 29th. Sept. 1984 issue of Flight International.
It is reproduced here with the kind permission of today's Editor, Mr. Murdo Morrison.
"Nephew John Hodson of Rolls Royce Inc. wants help in his search for a 1944 Mosquito pilot who, somewhere over England, drew alongside a B-26 piloted by a young USAAF officer called Russ Thayer.
Young Thayer thought he would show the Mossie how to fly, and opened up to full boost.
The Mosquito pilot stayed with him, put his undercarriage down, turned on his back, feathered one engine, and then pulled away.
If the Mosquito pilot is reading this, would he please get in touch? Russ Thayer is today (1984) a senior vice-president of Pan-American, and John would like to effect a re-union, and perhaps get some help to impress him with some more Rolls-Royce power."
Ahh, De Havilland! (and R-R!)
Does anyone know if ever such a meeting took place?

Saint-Ex
17th Nov 2005, 12:36
Never had the luck to to fly a mossie but I dont believe any had an inverted oil or fuel system until the Mark 34. I am assured, however, that it could reach Vne straight and level on one engine!