PDA

View Full Version : Extracting a short clip from a DVD

John Farley
13th Nov 2005, 18:11
When giving talks to youngsters I find it useful to take relevant short clips from old aviation VCR tapes, convert them into mpegs, and insert them into PowerPoint slides.

How do I do the same thing starting with a new fangled DVD?

I would have thought that since the data is already digitised on a DVD it would have been an easier process than starting with an analogue source but so far I have failed.

Conan the Librarian
13th Nov 2005, 18:30
John, I have been trying to do the same for a few weeks with a DVD. There are many programs that wil let you read and then edit many DVDs (apart from mine) but the easiest I found was Roxio Easy CD and DVD, which allows you to capture the desired piece and then do what you will

I have also downloaded many other programs to do the same job with the DVD that I have, but still no joy on that score. If I can help, feel free to PM me.

Conan

BOAC
13th Nov 2005, 20:09
A useful info site (http://digitalfaq.com), John

John Farley
13th Nov 2005, 21:32
Thanks Conan

I have Roxio, but my version will not let me capture from a DVD. Maybe its too old.

JF

John Farley
14th Nov 2005, 14:28
Thank you BOAC. Sorry I missed your input yesterday!

John

marlowe
14th Nov 2005, 17:18
showbiz dvd version 2 by arcsoft will do exactly what you want to do you can take out bits of relevent "film" and reburn to dvd

Oggin Aviator
15th Nov 2005, 05:01
John

I've got a freeware dvd to avi program, max 10 minutes per clip. So I convert dvd to .avi, then use Windows Movie maker within Win XP to convert this to a .wmv which is massively smaller without actually losing any quality. This can then go into your ppt presentation. Even the smallest resolution conversion looks good on the big screen. Works a treat, in fact have recently done a whole load of conversions for my USN colleagues at work. PM with an email address and I'll email you the set up file which is 1.32 mb.

Cheers

Oggin

Conan the Librarian
16th Nov 2005, 23:50
Oggin, you have just posted a thread I wis h I had seen a week ago. I have downloaded a very good shareware prog called "DVDZip" which I thoroughly recommend to the house. It has done the job easily and with few inputs from me. I made the mistake of converting to AVI which my little handheld does not like, but despite various proggies and studio software,, oddly enough Windows Movie Maker (I hate puffing MS products) has come up trumps.

The vid grab that I was after is interesting and I hope to post it soon. (Anyone can host it maybe?)

Conan

Oggin Aviator
17th Nov 2005, 04:56
Conan

I must say that although most MS products are maligned, Movie Maker is a very useful tool for the amateur (like mysef). I was able to put together an awesome 6 minute filmette of my daughter's first ski lesson, all set to music, using video captured from my tiny 35mm digital camera and pictures from the same. I've also done a lot of work with it to produce a Fleet Air Arm Taranto tribute and some stuff for my American colleagues. The best bit is that it is free! (as it comes bundled with Win XP). It won't do more powerful stuff I agree but for what it does do it is very good.

The DVD capture program I use is called maxd2a (they also do an mpeg version called maxd2m, but that crashed all the time so I gave up on it) and can be found here. (http://www.dvd-converter.com/download/download.htm) The web page does say that you have to pay about $25 for it, although you can just download the trial version which limits you to 10 minutes. I've been using it for a while and there is no time limit before the trial version stops working. I think I will actually pay for the upgrade in due course when I get more into this sort of thing.

Cheers

Oggin

John Farley
17th Nov 2005, 10:21
Chaps

I am most grateful to one and all.

When I have done the chores I hope to make some real progress via one or more of your several solutions

Regards

John