PDA

View Full Version : Agusta 119 Koala

flipflop
20th Aug 2001, 00:42
I am interested in any details as to how the Koala is performing down under or anywhere else. Notwithstanding the current tail rotor problem I would really appreciate info on the following:
1. Range on the 3 tanks at cruise and range speeds and real fuel consumption figures.
2. Any difficulties without a rotor brake, blade sailing etc.
3. Any problems with the paintwork aft of the exhausts.
Thanks.

spinwing
23rd Aug 2001, 04:02
Flip Flop .....I suggest you contact Dan Tyler (Chief Pilot) at Careflight NSW (see www.careflight.org (http://www.careflight.org) ) and or Email [email protected] and ask for Dan's Email address ...he will be on top of the latest A119 info ....good luck...cheers :) :)

Geoff Williams
23rd Aug 2001, 09:10
flipflop

Great machine. I went to Italy to do the course and then flew the first one here in Oz. Only got up 50 hours but loved every one of them.
When you ask about the 3 tanks, the standard system with the upper, left and right tanks hold 486 kgs. That's 246 kgs in the upper and 120kg each in the lower cells. There is an option for 2 additional 106 kg aux cells that fit behind the rear pax seats.
I found the FBO @ around 70% TQ at sea level to be 190 litres per hours (152 kg) so you'll be able to work out the math.

I found it was a pretty dirty ship for exhaust on the boom, and as with any similar helicopter, I imagine that after time it would have an effect.

Rotor brake option was under developement when I was in Italy 12 months ago.
If you get a chance fly one. The first single I have found that the engine outperforms the airframe. A real 140 knots cruise.
As suggested, talk to the lads at Careflight as they will have more experience on the type.

rotorboy
26th Jul 2004, 17:05
Hey guys,
i am looking at a job in a A119. Any of you out there with signifcant time in one. What do you like about it? Dont like about it? It is a hot/high enviorment . 7000> pa with DA>'s 13K + possible. Any experince at this alt close to MGW?

The T/R looks awfully low to me. even lower then the Astar.

Didnt they have problems with the tail boom/ T/R at first.

Thanks

RB

Head Turner
27th Jul 2004, 08:26
I have no experience at the altitudes and temperatures that you are looking to operate in. However I've almost 900 hours on the A119 and so a few observations.

Was at 5000 DA at 30 degrees C at MAUM in a tight confined area and I did not have to pull 'Take off Power'.

Seat confort is ok for 1.4 hours after that it's pain. We modified our seat with better profiled foam and that made it slightly better.

Fuel burn at your DA will be very frugal and if you have all 5 tanks you will have about 4.5 hours endurance with reserves, depending on the torque you use.

Cockpit layout is very user friendly.

Overall performance is the best there is, better than the 350B3 but the ride is more sports car than family saloon as with the Squirrel.

Refuelling is great, no surge like the Squirrels/135's when fuel is near the top of the tank.

All pilot pre-flights and after flights inspections are easily done but you will need a torch to see the oil levels and other items.

The small inspection doors are very good and provide adequate views to the components and should you forget to close one then there is no chance of damage in flight unlike the problems that occur with the Squirrel catches.

The tail rotor clearance is no worse than the Squirrel. The A119 has very long skids and these support the weight well on soft ground.

Without going on I rate the A119 as the best single I've operated.
The early teething problems are past. Several mods have been put in place to rectify those past faults.

I still like the overall concept of the Squirrel for what it is but the A119 is just that little bit more of a work tool and thrives on working.

It could do with an autopilot to back up the excellent SAS just for those long ferry flights to make it really easy.

Koalainfoplease
11th Jul 2005, 13:34
Hi. I'm looking on info on the Agusta 119 Koala. If anyone has good or bad opinions please post.Thanks.

eagle 86
12th Jul 2005, 11:30
Once the new tail rotor system is fitted - best machine in it's class!
GAGS E86

MGT727
12th Jul 2005, 18:12
Just finished conversion great aircraft lots of power, expected it to have full FADEC still man start. Find it a little stiff on controls but great machine very easy to fly.

Koalainfoplease
13th Jul 2005, 12:00
Thanks for your responses.

There appears to have been a number of crashes in the last couple of years, including one less than two weeks ago of a Careflight machine in the U.S.

Without speculating too much, there appears to have been problems with the rotor RPM getting low. Possibly FCU related.

Anybody got any further please ?

hmb77
16th Jul 2005, 16:02
The Koala is powerful, but does not perform very well at high density altitudes. After having a look at the performance charts it looked like that aircraft was close to 800 lbs over gross weight under the given conditions that day. Take this with a grain of salt because there are a few unknown factors there. There's a video out from the local news in that area that showed the wreckage and it looked like it had just fallen out of the sky and colapsed. The blades were still intact (broken, but still attached to the air frame) and the tail boom was cracked right around the attcahement points to the main frame, indicating that the blades had not made contact with the tail boom. This, off course, is just speculations from my side. I am not an accident investigator.

tottigol
17th Jul 2005, 16:50
The crash in Durango was a text book example of SWP/PS. Inexperienced UH-60 pilot trying to fly EMS in hot/high conditions shooting an approach to a confined LZ with a substantial (15 kts) tailwind.
Killed the crew and himself.:mad:

Koalainfoplease
19th Jul 2005, 22:57
Thanks for the info....much appreciated !!

Head Turner
23rd Jul 2005, 09:39
I have just short of 900 hours on the Koala and know about operating in hot and heavy conditions and other situations. I love this helicopter because it can do all the things that our company wants from a helicopter:- almost 4 hours endurance for ferry flights and 7 pax capability when on location. 3 POB for 3.7 hours at 125 kts or 8 POB for 2.4 hours. 8 POB at 6800 feet at 35C. P&W PT6 a wonderful engine. Controls are stiff if you are used to EC/AS machines

Head Turner
13th Sep 2006, 08:27
The Agusta A119 Koala IMHO is the best light single engined helicopter for speed, functionality and looks. So why are they popular in the rest of the world but so few in the UK?

widgeon
13th Sep 2006, 23:00
Maybe the fuel consumption and range are a factor.

Dis-Mystery of Lift
13th Sep 2006, 23:21
I'm pretty sure that the Koala will eat the EC130 for cruise,range,speed.

Have flown it once and was extremly impressed.Like all newish types it takes awhile for them to get known.I know in Aussy they are selling well and a couple are about to come to our fair shores.

I think it's a fantastic machine that you can fill up with Pax and take full fuel and do about 130-140kts....nice:ok:

eagle 86
14th Sep 2006, 04:16
1789kg empty weight + 110kg medical equipment + 350kg (max 476kg) fuel + four crew 360kg leaves around 100kg payload (maw 2720kg). At 3000hp/25*C/max cont will have vertical ROC 500 + feet/min - at max cont 5000hp IAS 130. Fuel burn 180kg/hour.
GAGS
E86

andTompkins
14th Sep 2006, 04:36
With such a large price delta over the 407 and 350B3, it's hard to justify buying one for the performance improvements alone. They are fast, HIGE is better than the others, but HOGE lags behind the 350B3. Their DOCs are competitive if you believe what they publish.

I'm willing to bet it's the 500k USD base price delta that scares away most folks.

What do you guys think?

Tompkins

BlenderPilot
14th Sep 2006, 05:42
One thing I can say about the Koala, that engine better not ever fail when heavy because it's disk loading is extreme, blades don't really have inertia either, and I got the impression no helicopter falls to the ground faster than a Koala.

eagle 86
14th Sep 2006, 06:22
BP,
Still falls at the standard 1800 Feet/min.
GAGS
E86

Head Turner
14th Sep 2006, 07:57
BP
The impression that the Koala descends faster than the others is not proven and rotor inertia is no worst than eg Gazelle. Having completed many full EOL's the only comment I have is that leveling the skids for the run on, because of the rotor mast angle takes some practice.
As for the range and fuel consumption;-
With the 3 tank configuration, full fuel and full POB(8) gives 2.5 hours with reserves. With the 5 tanks fitted full fuel and 3 POB with luggage will give 3.7 hours at 125 kts (68%TQ) ISA. You tell me another heli with this range/load. Get up to 5000PA and the range is even better. These are proven figures with the Mk1 tail rotor, what differnces there are with the Mk2 tail rotor I do not know. Mk2 T/R is very much quieter than the Mk1.

widgeon
14th Sep 2006, 08:06
thanks for info , for comparison what is fuel capacity and burn for the 350 and 407. How does it handle without the AFCS , is it on the MEL. With the JAR regs is the ratio between light twins and singles in commercial service in UK much less than in the less regulated US and Canada ?.ie is the price delta between a 119 and a 109 enough to make up for the reduced capabilities ( under jar regs )?. Am I right that you could not fly an EMS Koala in the UK ?

Head Turner
14th Sep 2006, 10:00
Handling without SAS/AFCS is no worst than the others, and like all things helicopter it requires some practice to get the feel of it. If you are moving into Agusta from Eurocopter you will find the controls heavy as you will initially overcontrol, with familiarity it all gets back to normal. I have been impressed with the Koala's ability to lift in high temps with the PW PT6 doing a very good job.

andTompkins
15th Sep 2006, 02:25
for comparison what is fuel capacity and burn for the 350 and 407.

Straight from their websites ... well, not Agusta's (you don't expect them to distribute tech data to the masses do you).

Fuel Capacity:
407 - 127.8 gal + 19.0 gal aux (in the baggage hold)
AS350B3 - 143.0 gal (no aux, but they have a 40 gal ferry tank)
A119 - 160 gal + 28-gal aux RH + 42 gal aux LH

Maximum Cruise fuel flow at Sea Level, ISA (MIGW):
407 - 377-lb/hr
AS350B3 - 388-lb/hr
A119 - 477-lb/hr

Economical Cruise fuel flow at Sea Level, ISA (MIGW):
407 - 324-lb/hr
AS350B3 - 342-lb/hr
A119 - 383-lb/hr

Tompkins

widgeon
15th Sep 2006, 21:24
If my calcs are right the 119 can carry 3 pax for 3.7 hr with max aux fuel and the 407 3.2 hrs .( assuming the 407 can carry 3 pax with aux fuel ) . can you fly for 3.5 hrs without leaving UK airspace from many places in ENgland :O

Head Turner
21st Sep 2006, 13:32
Are there any A119 Koalas flying in UK/Ireland at present?

St. Venant
21st Sep 2006, 15:26
There is one A119 Koala in Ireland (N119BM) based at Weston I believe.

Vertical T/O
21st Sep 2006, 16:11
I beleive that one is actually based at Citywest. I heard there is another coming to southern Ireland aswell.

Big_Johnno
25th Sep 2006, 17:43
I have searched the internet high and low without success for information on the A119 SAS 3 axis duplex system. Can someone please explain the functions of it and how it works. Is it a full on 3 axis autopilot, something similar or something totally different.
Thanks Big John

Head Turner
26th Sep 2006, 07:45
Big_Johnno. The Stability Augmentation System (SAS) fitted on the Koala is basically the guts of the Agusta autopilot but without the hardwear associated with the autopilot. Therefore there is no heading hold/height hold etc, but the SAS will hold heading and altitude for short periods, to look up info in manuals and flight planning docs, but eventually will deviate and will require pilot input to correct. For me it worked ok, but had Agusta offered an autopilot as an option we would definitely have taken that option. IMHO the option of an autopilot at the expense of weight/cost would have enhanced buyers choice and likely to have attracted more sales.

ERAUStudent
8th Nov 2008, 10:25
I am taking a rotorcraft operations course from Embry-Riddle. I am working on a project on the Agusta 119 and am trying to come up with the DOCs. I thought they would post this on the company website, but no luck there. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find that info?:ugh:

chopper2004
16th Nov 2011, 08:46
Just have Heli Usa Airways FB feed and they have ordered 7 Koalas for Grand Canyon tours operating out of McCarran International.

Thats a first for the Grand Canyon tours as the popular airframes in use are EC130B4, AS50B3, Bell 407 and 206L.

Be great if Heli Usa could bring a completed Koala to Heli Expo next year :)

speds
5th Nov 2012, 21:01
AgustaWestland Unveils New AW119Kx Single Engine Helicopter at AMTC | AgustaWestland (http://www.agustawestland.com/news/agustawestland-unveils-new-aw119kx-single-engine-helicopter-amtc)

Bell407Gx drivers already sing the praises of the Garmin avionics on their thread at Bell407Gx. Garmin G1000H is now available in the AW119 Koala from AWPC.

mcnea4d3
13th Dec 2012, 20:05
Greetings all....starting New-Hire training Jan 3rd and in search of Operator Manual (or ep's, limits, etc.) for the Agusta 119...anyone have on digits to pass my way? :8

Thanks.

Andrew
[email protected]

Squat switch
9th Aug 2013, 16:54
Any one out there got experience of this beast?

I'm interested to know what you think of it, how it performs against AW brochure info.

Failures?

Support both engine and airframe?

Good experiences and the bad please.

HeliStudent
9th Aug 2013, 17:36
Take a browse through these to start with. :ok:

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/19823-agusta-119-koala.html

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/255245-agusta-119-v-bell-407-a.html

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/398531-agusta-a119-versus-eurocopter-as350b3.html

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/347818-119-vs-ec130.html

Flingwingbling
12th Aug 2013, 11:27
I just learned that a company in Asia has purchased an AW 119Ke and may be looking for a pilot/engineer. Do such creatures actually exist? Are there jurisdictions that allow one person to do both jobs on an aircraft of this complexity?

Anthony Supplebottom
12th Aug 2013, 11:59
Are there jurisdictions that allow one person to do both jobs on an aircraft of this complexity?

A light single with FADEC you mean?

I would be interested to know those jurisdictions where a dual role pilot-engineer is prohibited.

Flingwingbling
12th Aug 2013, 23:51
Do you personally know any (under 60, that is)?

RVDT
13th Aug 2013, 05:18
FWB,

Seriously valid point.

I might be one of the last of the dinosaurs @ 55 y.o?

:} <- Photo attached!

luispipeval
12th Nov 2013, 02:01
I was looking at your text... and I´m also interested in knowing more about the AW 119, maintenance, pro and cons, etc... specially looking for performance charts to see usefull load for altitudes between SL to 5000´and high temps between 40-50 C. Can you help me with this or where could I find more info on this aircraft?
So far I have heard/read very good comments on it.

xtremalsound
12th Nov 2013, 11:01
Hi Luispipeval,

I have worked with A119 in high altitude and temperatures and let me tell you that the performances of this helicopter has been always excellent.

There are plenty of A119s used in Spain and Chile for firefighting and all crews are really happy with it.

As far as you know the temperatures in summer at south Spain are around 40ºC, some time higher and the performances are really good.

Let me see If I can scan the performances charts and send you.

Cheers!

luispipeval
12th Nov 2013, 11:19
I´m looking for performance charts, and general information for the AW 119.. Heard is a good single engine helicopter... also want to know how is the maintenance and customer support... Any delays.. or common descrepancies?

Thanks for any info...

Luis

RINKER
27th Jan 2020, 09:12
Long time since this thread was active, nice to see a 119 around where I live in Scotland just North of Edinburgh, seems to come in and out of a private site on occasions.
Anyone know who operates it.
Not a complainer I am PPLH and just interested.
R

ApolloHeli
27th Jan 2020, 09:45
N119SX (https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1559466) is a private AW119 that I know is based in the UK, but I don't know if it's ever travelled up that far north. I can't imagine there's too many of them to pick from in the UK though.

RINKER
27th Jan 2020, 09:52
Hi Apollo thanks for this, not sure the colour of the one I see, its dark blue maybe, not like the one you suggest,

R

PilotEpisode
29th Jan 2020, 11:19
Yes, see this one at Ascot Heliport every year, eye-catching paint scheme!