PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moth prangs in CT

4HolerPoler
13th Nov 2005, 10:31
Plane crashes in Durbanville
http://www.news24.com/Images/Photos/2005111312575013-crash.jpg

Cape Town - A pilot and her passenger were in a stable condition in hospital after their light aircraft crashed in Durbanville, Cape Town, on Sunday. Police spokesperson superintendent Debbie Pheiffer said the female pilot, 60, struck electricity lines near the airfield which caused her plane to crash. The pilot sustained an injury to her face while her male passenger, 57, suffered injuries to his lower back. They were taken to the Durbanville Medi-Clinic.

Gunship
13th Nov 2005, 10:52
Lucky to be alive indeed.

One can see the power lines in the beckground.

WX not very good here today. In fact raining right now and low cloud around ...

B Sousa
13th Nov 2005, 13:18
I agree with Guns on that. I thought Power lines were only out to get helicopters.
As has been mentioned here before, accidents have a long chain of "had I done that this would not have happened". Weather is always the last link to break.

glimmerman_alpha
13th Nov 2005, 14:37
Had a chance to visit the sight today. Lucky to be alive indeed.Some heavy power lines around in that area.

Fly safe

pointer41
13th Nov 2005, 15:58
:( Very sad, but also very happy... ZS-DEC was a nice example of my dream aircraft - one with little electrical things where pilots are pilots - yet very happy the crew survived.

Happy recoveries and many landings again!!!

propspanner
14th Nov 2005, 05:21
:{ :{ :{

ZS-DEC, yip a nice old timer.

Done some work on her (the plane) a year or so ago. One of the old ones that was looked a great deal after. And was great to fly in it

If it was the owner pilot that crashed "Pat" a speedy recovery.

And hope to see you soon with your plane in the ski again ;)

All the best!

4HolerPoler
14th Nov 2005, 06:44
Here's the latest:
Pilot 'lucky to be alive'

A well-known Cape pilot and her co-pilot narrowly escaped death after their Tigermoth aircraft had crashed on the farm Groot Phesantekraal outside Durbanville on Sunday. Pat Evans, 60, and Rene Theron, 57, both from Kommetjie, were admitted to Durbanville Medi-Clinic with slight injuries. Pietro Guerrini, Evans's cousin, said he couldn't believe his aunt had crashed her Tigermoth. She had been flying for the past 20 years and had logged thousands of flight hours. He said she was one of the most careful and safe pilots he knew and this was her first flight accident. "I'm just glad Pat and Rene are safe. Pat suffered a blow to her right cheek and Rene suffered slight injuries to her lower back." He said he had often flown with Evans, who was a brilliant pilot and flight instructor. "She said she didn't know exactly what had happened. She was on her way to the annual air show of the Tygerberg model airplane club outside Durbanville. She was planning to do a few aerobatics to entertain the crowd.

"People said she wanted to fly underneath a powerline but instead hit it. I can't believe she'd have attempted to do that," Guerrini said. A witness, Hendre van Rensburg, 15, said he and a friend Stephen Maritz, 15, saw the accident. They were selling tickets at the airshow. "We saw the Tigermoth coming in low. The plane's tail touched the powerline and the nose hit the ground before the plane tilted back and landed on its belly." Jason Dawson, a photographer for SA Model Flying and a trained paramedic, was one of the first people at the accident site. He said the women were lucky to be alive. An old friend and co-pilot, who didn't want to be named, said Evans was well-known for her high safety standards. He believed it was a freak accident. "Fortunately the Tigermoth can fly only about 60 miles an hour. If it had gone any faster, they might both have been dead." The Civil Aviation Association will release its findings about the accident later this week.

Speculative, I know, but it seems as if the "old" and "bold" lines on her graph finally met.

4HP

ASD
14th Nov 2005, 07:46
The Civil Aviation Association will release its findings about the accident later this week.

Thought they usually take a bit longer than that for findings?

MysticFlyer
14th Nov 2005, 08:22
So, ammendment to the last:

"You get old pilot's......and lucky ones.....now with a lot more experience"

I know....hat, coat....door....(after-all, some-one gusting 60 is still spring-chicken, hey Gunns?)
:ok: ;) ;) ;) (note three)

AfricanSkies
16th Nov 2005, 11:19
'Tiger Moth crashes Due Electrical Problem'

Definition of Experience : something you need just before you get it ;)

Cpt. Underpants
16th Nov 2005, 12:08
Linky To Video...

http://i1.zvhost.com/1/u/umlpl2yr.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/8821678202255526/tigermoth2/)

B Sousa
16th Nov 2005, 14:07
She had been flying for the past 20 years and had logged thousands of flight hours. He said she was one of the most careful and safe pilots he knew and this was her first flight accident.

It only takes one to sully your reputation or kill you.

People said she wanted to fly underneath a powerline but instead hit it.

The long chain.............break it and you fly again tomorrow.

'Tiger Moth crashes Due Electrical Problem'

That is good..........

I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but as a second post on this matter I hope other Pilots read that as a Helicopter Pilot for over 35 years I have lost many friends to these thin pieces of steel. Its a serious issue in the Helicopter world. We have to cross wires low sometimes as its the nature of the job. Another thing that some dont know is its taught to cross at the poles because the guy wires stretch much tighter than the conduit wires and are not as visible.
For Fixed Wing people this should be a no brainer, obviously this thread says, "we want to fly low also"
In this case they were very lucky, the drop alone from wires is a killer, if you dont fry before hand.
Be safe out there and take that extra 100' on the altimeter when your feeling like smelling the Roses.

Gunship
16th Nov 2005, 14:16
Linky To Video...

After watching it a few times I got the idea there was a sudden jerk right at the end before hitting the wires.

Like "Oh my God - powerlines !! "

Pulll - too late.

Damn a full 360 - they are lucky :ok:

ZS-NDV
17th Nov 2005, 14:53
Lucky ladies...

Reminds me of my own meeting once with powerlines in a C150 in Outshoorn.... Got away with just scratches... only recoverable part of the plane was the engine....

Keep it safe guys and gals.

Frenchy

ou Trek dronkie
18th Nov 2005, 19:05
I note the following and comment :

“He said she was one of the most careful and safe pilots he knew and this was her first flight accident. …”

Clearly, she was completely unaware of the nasty electrical lines she flew into. Had they been erected quite recently then ?

I would like to know who are the other “most careful and safe pilots” Pietro knows ? Just in case.

“She was on her way to the annual air show … She was planning to do a few aerobatics to entertain the crowd.”

So the aerobatics had been rehearsed and cleared by the safety co-ordinator ?

And then, from “An old friend and co-pilot, who didn't want to be named” :

Evans was well-known for her high safety standards … He believed it was a freak accident.

What exactly is a freak accident ?

And then this beauty : “"Fortunately the Tiger Moth can fly only about 60 miles an hour. If it had gone any faster, they might both have been dead."

I need to know more about this theory.

What a waste of a lovely aeroplane.

old Tiger driver.

PS I loved the “electrical problem”

propspanner
19th Nov 2005, 00:27
:} :yuk: Ou Trek Donkie,

Maybe you should take your Old Donkie ane get over the river and stay there!

The Tiger was on its way to a Model Air Show. For who do not know, radio controlled air craft. So for us who like to have a hobby, also nice to look at some of the Real Old ones in the sky.
And if you do not know the people, why make statements.

Are you in aviation at all? You want to tell me you have never made a mistake? :yuk: I know Pat Evens personaly, and she is one of the safest pilots. What ever happened, it happened! Just luck they are still here to tell the story.

So take your theories and get back over the Zimbezi, with your :mad: donkie and all!

:* :*

Pat hope you and your friend have a speedy recovery! And hope to see you up there again. ;)

Sandiron
19th Nov 2005, 03:23
So now a deliberate illegal act is an "accident"? Purleeze!

No, the only fortunately thing about this is that no-one on the ground was killed.

The only innocent party was the aircraft itself. As ATD says, " what a waste of a lovely aircraft".

MysticFlyer
19th Nov 2005, 05:42
Propspanner, jungleboys......bandwidth please!

To any AVIATOR this is a clear case of how an accident is about being in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing something VERY illegal. The details of how to avoid that scenario is contained in "Airlaw for Dummies 101 - Made EASY"!

You can either subscribe to it, and other similar worthwhile readables, or not, it's your choice. I smell expired membership here.

Why is it that basics of accident - recommodation - accident - noncomplyment needs to be explained to FELLOW PPRUNERS?

Methinks some chaps and gals is taking up bandwidth and space in an area where they are out of their depth - which is then followed by a AVIATION PROFESSIONAL explaining some unclarity on the rumour network. Go talk k:mad: k somewhere else!

SAFETY is not a rumour! Methinks the donkie's kick will be harder!

19th Nov 2005, 07:29
Wow, you guys are getting into a 1000KW frenzy. Under or over, intentionally or otherwise, wires continue to kill.

Mystic, Safety 101 for Dummies includes a very good bit about nature. It states that natural things do not occur in a regular order (trees, hills, rivers etc.). However man-made things mostly do, like powerlines. The moral of the low-level learning is don't try to spot thin almost invisible wires; instead scan for equally spaced and more visible things like poles.

This lesson, when applied, has saved and will continue to save lives.

MysticFlyer
19th Nov 2005, 09:45
Ja, ja I know,

From the 101 on avoiding powerlines in respect of a beat-up for model flyers, that went tit's up...

Rule #1 states: "Beplanning voorkom Spanning!":ooh:

Shocking stuff indeed in there, news to some:hmm:

propspanner
20th Nov 2005, 00:15
:rolleyes: To those :mad: , who do not know.

The Tiger has been around for some time now, and has been part of the model show for some years.

And up to know, well just have not seen "a Tiger" do a low beatup! Can it?? :confused:

Maybe some of you need to go do some homework and go and check the specs of a Tigermoth.
What is a Tigers aerobatic capabilities? Low "High" Speed Beatups?

If so, let us know?

So to those ALL, Stop the rumours! Get the facts on the table, and then give US all the info and findings.

And just a thought for the day, to the "Ace Pilots" hope your lucky starts are always with you
:D :D

And to all the normal pilots, safe flying:ok:

Gunship
20th Nov 2005, 05:02
Propspanner it is clear that she is a god friend and a you try to protect her.

Good for you.

Just a clarification. Old Trek Donkie might not answer you back - so I will - he has double digid hours in the old log book mate. He has forgotten waht you must still learn (if you make comments like that). :E

Take it standing up - she fecked up.

We all do at a stage - some make it some don't. Quite easy.

have a model day.

MysticFlyer
20th Nov 2005, 05:48
Rule #2,

Always stay ahead of the aeroplane.

Not always easy, but here a flypast was obviously asked for and she thought she will comply.

A couple of other points regarding display flying jumps to mind in terms of protecting property or putting lives into danger or being a nuisance, should you decide to operate below the 500ft arena.

A bit of PLANNING for this HIGH speed fly-by would have indicated the presence of high tension wires directly in front of them, endangering their lives and the spectators' tremendously. If you are planning to do a display, stick to the rules, because a lot of people have not and have subsequently paid with their lives as well as those innocent flying with them and of those on the ground. These powerlines are indicated on her map that should be in the aeroplane with her, thus an obstacle to aviod, should you be compelled to wander below this 500ft. safety margin

Rules in aviation is there to protect, you realize the nuisance this lack of foresight is now causing all of us trying to explain this to you, (clearly) a non-aviator?

We as pilots in the bigger scale of things should realize this clear and present danger (they are indicated on aviation maps), as it is not always this forgiving.

Accident investigation, although not all of our forte's, focus on preventing something from happening again. One should remove oneself from personal emotions, but not easy for relatives and friends after an accident, hence always the inevitable, excellent pilot, safest aviator, experienced very professional and look at the facts and non compliances surrounding the incident.

Thus we as speculators see, engine running, very low, not approaching to land.....powerlines and now your testimony of a PLANNED FLY-BY or BEAT UP with video to go with it. Turned out spectacular, although I'm sure that was NOT planned.

Keep those feet firmly on the ground! We share your prayers for their speedy recovery.

ou Trek dronkie
20th Nov 2005, 12:45
Thanks Gunship, I appreciate. :ok: :ok: :ok:

Yes, you got me right, I was going to ignore the rudeness of one of the contributors, who does not know north from south it seems, but in fact I am seriously OUTRAGED ! I cannot let matters stand as they are, not for one minute more !!!

I must make an important correction. Look here, the name is NOT donkie it is DRONKIE. Be aware of the difference. please.

Yet I notice the French for donkey is âne, so maybe we have happened on some Freudian typo link ? Interesting, interesting.

Well,

Since I am here anyway, let me say I entered the fray because I am tired of seeing remarks quoted by fools, ignorant fools. My interest is safe flight. When you want a very old aeroplane to perform a “low-level beat-up”, in a way you are encouraging pilots to push the envelope. I doubt that will please you. Low level beat-ups at air displays have an incredibly high record of broken aeroplanes and dead or battered pilots. This is not a well-kept secret. Yet still people encourage it.

“Jislaaik, you should have seen this ou, right on the deck, etc etc etc”

Pathetic, IMHO.

And O yes, “ the whistle of the wind through the wires as we gently side-slip into the tiny field, a quick blip of the throttles as we pop over the hedge and make a smashing three-pointer”, the goggles, silk scarf, Gosport tube, all very lovely and nostalgic, but flying into wire is another story.

Just to get it into context, try reading a magnificent book by Des Barker, an extremely knowledgeable and literate aviator if ever there were one. It is called “Zero Error Margin” and is the best book on safe (and other sorts of) flying at air displays I have read. It is a masterpiece. This man knows what is what, believe me. I suggest, humbly, all display pilots should give it a once-over, even if only to goggle at the photographs.

You see. Old Proppie man, many of us have lost good friends as a result of the stupid things they have done at air shows and would like to prevent others from falling into the same dangerous line of thinking. It is a complex subject and the best advice I can offer is to follow the law. The law is clear and I have no intention of repeating it (Thanks a stack for that oTd says the Ppruners)

Sincerely, I wish the good lady well and a speedy recovery, as I wish all those pilots who have similar misfortunes, of course I do. It’s nothing personal, but I am quite entitled, under the Pprune rules, to comment on why an aeroplane, on its way to carry out a low-level “beat-up” - how I cringe when I hear those words – flies into wire. And crashes. Unfortunately, I know a lot about it.

While I am pontificating, let me offer some more advice to you. Don’t make assumptions about contributors when you write to Pprune, you never who is hiding under a silly name. You will be surprised to learn that I enjoy radio-controlled models and spent a fascinating morning recently with my boet watching some toppies do amazing things with their aircraft. One of them, a WW2 pilot said he could do more with his mini bird than he could with his Spit. Then proved it. Fascinating.

BTW, the Tiger is aerobatic and it can fly faster than 60 mph.

OTd
:rolleyes: