PDA

View Full Version : UK troops out of Iraq 'next year'

Dave Angel
13th Nov 2005, 09:48
UK troops out of Iraq 'next year'

From BBC website:

"British troops could leave Iraq by the end of next year, the country's president Jalal Talabani has predicted.
But he warned an immediate withdrawal of multinational forces rather than a gradual one would be a "catastrophe" for Iraq and would lead to civil war.

He told ITV1's Jonathan Dimbleby programme Iraqis did not want foreign troops to remain indefinitely.

"Within one year....Iraqi troops will be ready to replace British forces in the south," he said."

I suppose now instead of spending next Christmas in Basrah I can look forward to the delights of Afganistan!
:\

Not goin to hold my breath but good news is hard to come by these days! I can't see how the Iraqi forces are going to be ready by then but we can but hope :suspect:

cazatou
13th Nov 2005, 09:52
In 1914 Kaiser Wilhelm promised his troops that they would be home "before the leaves fall".

SPIT
13th Nov 2005, 12:44
If you believe that you must think Santa Clause is real ????:p ;)

JessTheDog
13th Nov 2005, 15:17
An iceberg-sized pinch of salt is needed for this one.

He has obviously been asked to deliver some good news in difficult times for Bliar and Dubya.

I understand the domestic arrangements in Basrah do not convey an impression of a temporary residence!

L J R
13th Nov 2005, 15:25
Just in time to sned them direct to Afghanistan. The deployment will saves AT Hours at least.

Melchett01
13th Nov 2005, 18:19
I would be very suprised if the coalition completely pull out of Iraq in the near - medium term - a situation akin to many places in post-war Europe is, I think, the closest we will get to pulling out completely as long as the US & UK have interests in the region.

I was attached to the US army in Baghdad in 2003 and even back then, there were plans for the long term which generally ran along the lines of all the various BGs, Divs etc drawing down to around 5/6 'superbases' in country, and I wouldn't be at all suprised to see that happening rather than a complete 100% withdrawal.

As long as we have interests in the region, whether that be oil, keeping an eye on the devious Iranians or supporting ops in 'stan, maintaining a forward presence in Iraq, Qatar etc will undoubtedly make life easier than upping sticks and moving around the place as we go from op to op.

vecvechookattack
14th Nov 2005, 13:15
Listening to MR Reid on the radio this morning, he said that there is a chance that we will START to withdraw next year, but ti will be a slow and calculated withdrawl and only when the Iraqi's are ready to take over.

I think that in 1945, the British Army started a slow withdrawl out of Germany, and.......well, you know the rest.

cazatou
14th Nov 2005, 15:08
vecvec

Sun over the yardarm a bit early today?