PDA

View Full Version : Basic Wireless Network questions

Binoculars
12th Nov 2005, 13:32
I'm amazed at how little a search for wireless networking throws up in the way of results. I wish I could ask some intelligent questions, but my general understanding is so basic that I don't really know where to start. Here's the story.

Binoette1 lives in a unit where she can't drill holes in the wall for Cat5 cable, and the phone is in the kitchen, which is not where she wants her laptop. From this I deduce that she really needs a wireless network. I know diddly squat about wireless, and I'm 1000km away anyway. With her birthday tomorrow, I said I would consult with my elders and see what I could come up with to get her up and running at minimal cost.

My Google search for FAQ on wireless networking keeps directing me to sponsored sites that promise step by step details in foolproof language for a fee, or free superficial questions designed to confuse even further. Hence I return to the Pprune Oracle, the source of all knowledge.

Her laptop is a Dell, about 18 months old I think, and I don't have the specs with me so I'm not sure what facility it came with for wireless, err, stuff. :confused: She also is not yet connected to broadband, but I am trying to organise everything together. The sum total of my knowledge from hours of head scratching comes to this; 8.11b is old hat, 8.11g is better and standard, and 8.11n is the latest and best, at a cost. For her needs, 8.11g will be ample. She will apparently need a wireless ADSL modem/router (or is it just a router?). She has a 56K modem and an ADSL modem which has never been used, but not a wireless one. Does she need extra cards as well? PCI? PCMCIA? Is there a difference, if so, what? Adapters? Anything else?

Appreciate any advice on a basic level, given that I wouldn't know DHCP from a hole in the ground. Or better still, directions to a FAQ site that answers the basic questions.

Oh, and if there are any guru Ppruners in Brisbane who would be prepared to go around and supervise the setup for a bottle of single malt or whatever, so much the better.
:ok:

spekesoftly
12th Nov 2005, 14:15
If the Dell laptop is not already wireless enabled, it's a simple job to upgrade it with either a USB or PCMCIA adaptor - they just plug in to the respective external port. (PCMCIA is a bit neater, and less vulnerable).

Short of time, and not familiar with Oz telecom, so over to another for the rest.

SyllogismCheck
12th Nov 2005, 16:33
Basically from phone line to computer you need the following:

Filter. Just a little box that plugs into the phone line and prevents interference between the data and voice parts of the line. Literally a couple of £s, or $s.

Modem and wireless router or Wireless modem/router. As say your daughter already has a modem, just a wireless router would suffice. However, as there will be a need to purchase a router anyway, to get one with an integrated modem would probably be worthwhile just for simplicity and convenience. Over the cost of a stand alone router the extra cost is minimal and its one less thing to connect up, find a power supply for and have wires trailing between. £70 (or equivalent) for a reasonable wireless modem/router. Probably £40+ for just the wireless router if you decided to use the old modem.

PCMCIA Wireless adaptor. Basically the 'mate' of the wireless router that goes in the laptop. As to whether the laptop is already wireless enabled, being 18 months old unless it was a really top spec one, I'd have thought it unlikely. A search of the exact model number on the net will yield the full specs to be sure however. £35 or so over here.

Thats all the kit required. Many places sell bundles. A wireless modem/router, PCMCIA card to match and any other bits and bobs required. These often represent good value for money. It's well worth a shop around the various computer bit retailers websites to find a good deal.
In addition, I suggest asking opinion of the kit you're thinking of selecting from those here knowledgeable enough to know the good from the bad as, I'm told, some brands are trickier to setup/more tempremental than others.

As for setting up. I was lucky perhaps, but I pretty much stuck the PCMCIA card in my laptop and let windows install it, plugged my modem/router into the filter in the phone wall socket, then turned it all on, went into the setup screen of the modem and gave it my ADSL account details and it all worked. I did later have someone explain to me how to secure the network as I had no idea of the best way of doing so.
I appreciate that the setup/securing bit is going to vary from modem to modem to some degree so trying to give detailed explanations is probably futile. Even having someone who's reasonably familiar with setting up such things talk through it on the phone step by step as she goes should be sufficient to see it done though.

Tinstaafl
12th Nov 2005, 16:49
She has a couple of options to connect - some wired, some wireless - with various equipment options.

Conventional modem:

Run a phone extension cable under the door & across the room to where she wants to sit while dialling in conventionally, or

Setup an el-cheapo 2nd hand desktop PC (with a modem in it) next to the phone jack to handle the modem duties + a wifi connection built or plugged in to it and a second WiFi device for the laptop

This PC is left permanently on & uses Windoze or Linux to dial out on demand. It also manages the WiFi network connection.

ADSL

Optimum option: The ADSL modem has an RJ11 socket. Plug it into any WiFi router. It connects to the laptop's wifi hardware.

Note: Some wifi routers are available with a built in ADSL modem which makes a one-box solution to the ADSL+router combination above.

Not so optimum: The current ADSL modem she has only has a USB connection. In this case you'll need a PC with a USB port + a Wifi card in it to do the WiFi network stuff similarly to the modem + PC I mentioned earlier.

WRT to 802.11b or g or n for the WiFi network: 11b is quite fast enough for internet work. It operates at 11Mbs while broadband internet connections are typically 512Kbs up to 1 or 2 Mbs.

If she will want to watch video eg with a home digital entertainment system using her WiFi network then .g or faster would be more appropriate.

NOTE: If a desktop PC is part of the solution then it's essential to have it running a firewall. There's stacks of Linux out-of-the-box firewall setups. The biggest hardware hurdle is if the PC uses a Winmodem device to dial out ie non-broadband option. Some are supported under Linux whilst others are more problematic.

Saab Dastard
12th Nov 2005, 20:13
If buying a wireless access point or combined WAP and ADSL modem, it is well worth the extra to get one with a built-in hardware firewall.

By all means add a software firewall as well, and ensure that AV is installed & updated regularly.

Belt, braces, chewing gum, string AND baling wire!

BTW - if you are likely to want to share files between 2 PCs or print over a wireless network, you will notice a difference between g and b. Believe me!

SD

Binoculars
13th Nov 2005, 01:18
Thanks good people. Getting there slowly. Is a PCMCIA card the same as a PCMCIA adaptor? For example, either of the first two Belkin models shown on this page? (http://www.qldit.com.au/ProdSearch.aspx?prodcat=0000000798&ProdType=0000000054)

Tinstaafl
13th Nov 2005, 03:36
Each of those is a PC-Card (aka PCMCIA) & would work in a laptop with a PC-Card slot.

PCMCIA is the original specification & uses a 5V/16 bit interface @ 16 MHz. PC-Card is the newer spec, using 3V/32 bit interface @ 33 MHz

An older PCMCIA card will work in a laptop with the newer PC-Card spec. slot (the newer slot is backwards compatible & will recognise the older type card). A newer PC-Card won't work in an older laptop with the older PCMCIA slot.

PC-Card has been the standard since around 1998 or so.

If your daughter's laptop doesn't already have WiFi built in to it then you'll need a WiFi PC-Card for it. Chances are your daughter's laptop has the newer PC-Card slot unless it's a really old lappy.

If you can find out the type of ADSL modem she already has it would help w.r.t. what other stuff you may need - if she gets broadband, that is.

Binoculars
13th Nov 2005, 07:20
For a couple of hours there I thought I had it figured out. :(

OK, here's the deal. The modem she has is a 4 port Billion Bipac5100, which has an RJ11 socket, and the lappy is a Dell Inspiron 1200 which is eight months old. I now remember that when I was discussing the configuration with her prior to order we decided not to get a wireless card as an option because she didn't have a wireless modem. So now let me see if I've got this right.

Option 1 is to buy a wireless router and a Wi-Fi card (sorry tinny, you lost me; are those Belkins I linked the Wi-Fi card we're talking about?) She installs the card, plugs the modem into the phone socket in the kitchen, and plugs the router into the modem. Now once properly configured there is no need for her laptop to be wired to anything configured she should now be able to use her laptop anywhere within range. Yes/no?

Option 2, slightly more expensive, is to buy a wireless modem/router and Wi-Fi card. Her old modem is unnecessary, the modem router plugs directly into the phone socket, configure, and Robert's your father's brother; wireless connection anywhere within range. Yes/no?

SyllogismCheck
13th Nov 2005, 10:51
Yes, the cards you linked are what you need. Someone may disagree with me here, but really any 'g' card will do the job for surfing the net, sending emails etc. You don't need anything fancy. (I have a number floating around which I use in my work laptop. Old, new, expensive and cheap. There's no difference between them. In fact one of the cheaper ones gives me the best range in the garden.) The one at the top of the page will do the job just fine. The laptop is new enough to be able to use any card you buy, ie, it's beyond the backward comapatability point mentioned by Tinstaafl.
You will need this card as I checked the specs and an Inspiron 1200 does not have built in wireless capability unless it was specified as an extra, which is most unlikely and may not even have been an option.

Option 1. Yes, entirely correct.

Option 2. Yes, entirely correct.

Which option you take is entirely a matter of cost over convenience. I'd plumb for the latter though for the sake of about an extra £30 or so. It's likely to be easier to setup and less 'glitchy' in use.

Binoculars
13th Nov 2005, 11:25
Many thanks, SC. I think I have now digested rung one of the ladder. I too would go for option 2 and will when it comes to de-wiring my own system, but B1 is somewhat peeved that the modem she paid $100 for 18 months ago and has never used is now worth probably $40 second hand. So she'll take a bit of convincing to assign it to the scrap heap, but as has been mentioned, that $40 if she can get it is about the difference between a wireless router and a modem/router anyway.

Thanks to all respondents, my knowledge base on wireless products has gone from 0.0 to 0.4 in two days. :ok:

Agent86
13th Nov 2005, 13:12
Binos,

Option one above may be awkward as the Billion is already a router! Adding a wireless router to that can cause some fun as your addresses get translated twice. Best to plug a Wireless acess point in to the Billion if you really want to keep it...or use option 2.

At the risk of muddying the waters even further....

Have you considered an Iburst setup. this is a wireless broadband setup that works in BNE/SYD/MEL/CBR (but sadly not PER). See Iburst (http://www.iburst.com.au)

Basically it is a box (or a PCMCIA card...more expensive) that lappy can access net from without telephone lines. One BIG adavantage is when renting you can move house and take it with you.
I have one setup in BNE with a wireless router attached in the hotel where our crew stay. anyone wth wireless can connect and if we move accom I just move the box. No transfer/setup fees!

Shop around for an ISP as there are a few. Ozemail, Chilli, are 2 I have used.

If you already have ADSL connected then it may be too late. But worth considering for any renters.

Binoculars
13th Nov 2005, 14:09
On second thoughts, reduce that level of understanding from 0.4 to 0.2. :(

I think this is probably best reviewed in the sober light of day.

All further responses welcome.

:uhoh:

Binoculars
14th Nov 2005, 12:01
OK, a decision had to be made, and I've ordered a Billion 7202G wireless modem/router and a Netgear WG511 for B1 to pick up for under $200 total. She should pick up $40 for the old unused Billion ADSL modem, so all systems should be go.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Agent86, the iBurst technology looks like that at Unwired (http://www.unwired.com.au/index.php) which is apparently available only in parts of Sydney atm. Interesting; it would seem to be the way of the future. A little over the top for B1 at this stage though.