PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security

The Voice
11th Nov 2005, 23:33
I have heard from a well informed and reliable source, that YPDN airport will soon be sporting its very own significantly manned police station, and that those officers shall be more responsible than the APS members presently there.

If this is being done in a place like DN, what is going on in other cities?

OzExpat
13th Nov 2005, 06:38
A cop shop was built as part of the plans for the new domestic and international terminals here, many years ago. For the most part, the cops based there are members of the Reserve Constabulary, who have received training in aviation security. They therefore have jurisdiction on and off airport property.

The situation is pretty much the same at Honiara and I think it's a practical idea.

I was talking to a member of the Los Angeles Airport Police, when passing through there a couple of years ago. They are armed and are accredited as members of the city police force, which gives them jurisdiction on and off airport property as well. Yes, they also have training in aviation security, so their jurisdiction extends to air side.

I guess this was one of the things about the American system that our "mate" Dick hadn't thought about eh? :}

The Voice
13th Nov 2005, 09:25
I'm hearing you Oz .. so now we'll have (in no particular order) Grp 4 security, police, APS and air marshalls .. you'd think it would make it safer wouldn't you ..

Capt Claret
13th Nov 2005, 21:02
Aw c'mon Voice, this isn't about making us safer, it's about the Govt and its agencies appearing to be doing something. :yuk: :yuk: :mad:

OzExpat
14th Nov 2005, 07:16
Nah TV, I'm suspicious of all Australian government motives these days. It won't make the place any safer, just more difficult for people to move around the terminal - and the upside for the government is that they'll have many more people to blame if anything goes wrong.

Simple really. :uhoh: