PDA

View Full Version : Heli charter operator in Esperance, WA?

McHover
11th Nov 2005, 18:05
I'm looking for heli charter in the area of Esperance in Western Australia for some film work that I may need to do in the next few weeks.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences down there recently?

Something along the lines of an AS350B would be ideal.

Many thanks,

McH

the wizard of auz
11th Nov 2005, 21:38
No choppers down there at all cobber..........or even close.
your best bet is to hire one in Perth and take it down there or use a fixed wing. the only charter company in Esperance........... or anywhere even close is Esperance air service. 0890 711467. ask for Sam or Rob.

McHover
11th Nov 2005, 21:47
Thanks mate, looks like it might be a long and lucrative position in for someone as the target we need to shoot is moving at a maximum of 30 km/h!

Any suggestions for Perth?

McH

And whilst we're at it..., any good nightlife in EPR?

BigMike
11th Nov 2005, 22:11
McHover:
Give Paul Gibson at Heli-West a call, Ph +61 (08) 9414 1000 or [email protected]

He is the Ops Manager there, and they have plenty of Film experience. They are based at Jandakot airport in Perth.

blade root
12th Nov 2005, 02:36
Also give Helicopters (Australia) a try I know they have a few AS350....

McHover
12th Nov 2005, 11:33
Many thanks guys, I will get in touch with both of them to see what they can offer.

Bit worried about the lack of suggestions on the entertainment front though....!

But I hear the fishing is good.

McH

BigMike
12th Nov 2005, 12:08
Entertainment? Head down to "The Lucky Shag" on the Swan river, just in front of the main downtown area in Perth. Sunday afternoons are the good!

Mongrel Dog
12th Nov 2005, 13:21
I believe there was a bloke working a B47 out of there a couple of years ago by the name of Brad. Not a Squirrel, but definitely more economically viable than a ferry from Perth Not sure if he is still there though. If you call Jandakot Helicopters they should be able to put you onto him if he is still around as he is a former student of theirs.

the wizard of auz
12th Nov 2005, 21:29
Brad was selling the 47 I think. was over in the wheatbelt somewhere. the only entertainment in esperance is fishing and drinking.................... and thats about it. town ceases to operate after 6:30PM. scenery is quite nice though.

blade root
13th Nov 2005, 22:36
Try the Pier Hotel...... Make sure you are wearing beer goggles, all the good looking ones are gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

902Jon
14th Nov 2005, 07:44
I was lucky enough to be in Esperance in March this year (and happened to get married while we were there).
There was a Bell 47 on floats doing pleasure flights from the harbour around Woody Island. Don't know if he is still there but Dave Rhodes former Bristow senior Ops officer lives there and could possibly give you the gen. pm me for details.
Nightlife - not a lot. A couple of Chinese restaurants and the mentioned hotel bar. Daytime - fantastic countryside - 60 ks east of Esperance is Lucky bay, the best beach I have ever been on. Just drive your 4wd on with your Esky full of beer and enjoy.

the wizard of auz
14th Nov 2005, 12:41
I lived there on and off for eight years........... and really have trouble remembering any outstanding times had there. beaches are alright...........certainly not as good as some others around the place, but if you have booze and a fishing rod you can pass the time. the beaches further east of lucky bay are better for fishing. plenty of good diving if your not scared of white pointers.
The Travs is a better pub to look at the talent. If you pick the right day on the weekend, head out to the slopes to the west of town on the twilight beach road, there is some good hang gliding to be had and watched. Take a rain coat with a windproof liner............ you will need it if you plan staying for more than a couple of days.

In2wind
15th Nov 2005, 11:20
There is an R44 there at the moment from Jandakot Helicopters as that guys KH4 is in for service I believe. That was as of Monday. Give Jandakot a call 0894175590 for his details.