PDA

View Full Version : SMH article re Qantas: "Skipping Town"

Taildragger67
11th Nov 2005, 16:17
For all those without access to a paper copy of the SMH: article about Qantas' strategy plans.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/skipping-town/2005/11/11/1131578240548.html

sys 4
11th Nov 2005, 17:09
yes one of the company's corner stones is about to be sold of for a quick profit,which will evetually lead to a sh!t house product and many delays in the future.
Last 767 that returned from SASCO on thursday (C check)went straight into the shed to fix a multitude of defects(1 begin that only 1 toilet worked and many EIR problems),and to top it of there was no one to work it as the retrenchments had already started.

Sunfish
11th Nov 2005, 18:43
The trouble with outsourcing maintenance is that you need to have a large and highly competitive maintenance market competing for your business. If there isn''t one and you outsource, you will eventually get screwed bigtime.

The issue for Qantas is not what the maintenance market is like for the next three or four years - it's what is it going to look like in ten or fifteen years - long after the managers who make the decisions have crept away and pocketed their big bonuses.

If I was Mr. Dixon, and I was only concerned for my own well being, I would want to ensure that if I went through the pain of outsourcing heavy maintenance, I would want to see it reflected in my bonus. So the decision has got to be made very soon, otherwise the costs will reduce my bonus but the savings won't kick in before I leave.

It shouldn't be hard to model the maintenance demand around the world and the likely workloads five to ten years out, then make a guess at pricing , then do some discounted cash flows.

But then again, what is the core competency of an airline? Does it include being responsible for its own maintenance? I would argue that it does.

For example, what happens if there is a critical AD on a particular model that requires heavy maintenance capabilities to fix ASAP? Imagine the queue at SASCO etc.

gaunty
12th Nov 2005, 02:20
But then again, what is the core competency of an airline? Does it include being responsible for its own maintenance? I would argue that it does. :ok:

I gotta better idea why dont we start a company that buys, operates, maintains and then leases the product to all comers complete with their own livery, unifroms, crockery and napery and they can all go compete on whatever their "brand differentiation" is worth.

There is then true freedom in the market, anyone who wants, can start their own airline, by plonking down the readies and having a go.

The electronics guys have been doing it for years.

The possibilities are endless.

"Hero Air"

"Anti Hero Air"

"Ansett Refugees Air"

"Qantas"

"Jet*"

"Virgin Reconstituted"

"TAA"

:E :rolleyes: :{

oicur12
12th Nov 2005, 02:44
As Robert Crandell of American airlines once said - the ultimate airline is one that doesnt own or operate a single aeroplane.

How many shoes do Nike manufacture?

ys120fz
12th Nov 2005, 08:27
gaunty, I occasionally thought you spoke some sense, but you're no different from/better than Kaptin M, sorry HI'er.

You are a f&^%$#* wa**er, who f^&*%$# up your decision in 89 and can't live with it.

I have no difficulty. 16 years away and although I realize I screwed my decision, I don't let it rule my life. I may go back to Ozjet if it survives, and I hope it does, but I'm quite happy where I am.

Get over it f*&^wit.

HI'er
12th Nov 2005, 08:42
HTF did you (Gaunty), Kap M, and I, along with the Dispute manage to sneak into THIS thread??

I realize I screwed my decision, I don't let it rule my life.Yeah, right! :ok: :{ :ugh:

btw, I don't believe the Gaunted one was involved in your "I don't let it rule my life" psychosis, model airplane flyer.

gaunty
12th Nov 2005, 08:51
Goodness me I must have touched a raw nerve.

ys120fz must have forgotten his medication this morning, try an extra dose of Lithium old chap.

Never occured to me that a bit of fun about making moolah out of producing "turnkey" airlines, and I thought I was careful to discriminate equally, including all of the incumbent and wannabes, would send him or anyone right off.

Never been anywhere near Ansett, Australian, Qantas or any of the airlines involved in that year, in fact their actions cost me a very considerable amount of money, but I will still defend their right to have taken it and whether they were right or wrong I feel deep shame for the way their countrymen and country treated them.

The Voice
12th Nov 2005, 18:32
nothin beats playing the man instead of the ball when it comes to things '89.

Good thing it's misdirected hey Gaunty!

You are a f&^%$#* wa**er, who f^&*%$# up your decision in 89 and can't live with it. seems like a little inner searching may be in order methinks.

Buster Hyman
13th Nov 2005, 01:44
You need one of these Gaunty ->http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/lam.gif

jetjockey7
13th Nov 2005, 07:04
Buster...that is so apt and so funny