PDA

View Full Version : Are passangers allowed to smoke on biz jets?

Boeing4ever
11th Nov 2005, 13:07
I was wondering if passengers on corporate aircraft were allowed to smoke in the cabin, since they are not affected by the same regulations as airlines.

I would personally be bothered as a pilot by the smell of smoke in the cockpit. What do you corporate pilots say?

Thanks,

Marco

Kopeloi
11th Nov 2005, 13:37
You could always tell the owner of the plane that he is not allowed to smoke as it bothers you.

Capt Crash
11th Nov 2005, 14:48
In NJE the pax are allowed to smoke once the light is off and some do smoke enthusiacally!!!

Personally, as soon as I smell smoke I check it is coming from the pax not elsewhere.

The passengers pay their money and I say 'let them smoke'!!

CC

Jarema
11th Nov 2005, 15:00
But does not JAR-OPS say that smoking is prohibited as long as oxygen installation is in use?

Mike

Capt Crash
11th Nov 2005, 15:13
Errrr, yes it does. If the O2 is in use I will tell the pax to stop smoking and put on the NO Smoking sign.

I guess there will be other things going on to stop them smoking, like difficulity in breathing.

PSF2J
13th Nov 2005, 11:37
Are you going to tell someone that has just £Xmillion for his biz-jet that he can't smoke in it? When oxygen is on, i agree, the rule is no smoking, but otherwise the boss is welcome to do what he wants.

LB1985
13th Nov 2005, 14:27
I guess the owner is free to do as he or she wishes. However, what I do find a bit strange is getting onto an aircraft where the entire crew is smoking - feels like being stood in a smoke-filled tube. What will (non-smoking) passengers make of the smell?
:confused:

redsnail
13th Nov 2005, 14:49
As CC's said the pax can smoke to their heart's content. We aren't allowed to. (Suits me, I don't smoke).

With careful use of the air vents and blowers etc the smoke smell can be minimised. :ok:

spanishflea
13th Nov 2005, 15:00
In a company such as Netjets where the aircraft are constantly switching between customers does this not cause problems when the aircraft arrives having had 5 passengers smoking like chimneys for the past 3 hours, and a new set of non-smoking passengers gets on?

pleiades
14th Nov 2005, 09:10
Errrr, yes ....I guess there will be other things going on to stop them smoking, like difficulity in breathing.

:p I really want to see the smoker trying to attatch the O2 and suck in the tar.... so happy to no longer be a slave to the ciggys!:ok:

but seriously, I would also like to see this question answered, I personaly would be appaled to get on an a/c that Im payin top dollar for and smell that incideous smell seeping out of the fabric:yuk:

Takeoff WAT
14th Nov 2005, 10:22
It depends on the aircraft owner's preferences. Some owners smoke so they don't mind having passengers smoke when the aircraft is out for charter.

The current aircraft I look after is a smoking aircraft and we find we get asked prior to quoting for a trip if the passengers can smoke on board. I think smoking aircraft are becoming rare.

I have to say that the aircraft is cleaned after every trip and I've never noticed a smell of old ciggys!

At the other extreme I had an owner who not only banned smoking on-board, he also banned shoes! Very difficult to ask a high profile VIP to take their shoes off before getting on when they paid X-thousand pounds to hire the aircraft.

Crew have to use their judgement and discretion.

Mzee
15th Nov 2005, 11:05
One owner we care for has a pipe clamped in mouth from the time he gets out of the car to getting into his car at the other end!
Somewhere in the cruise is the digging out, refill and relight process. Cockpit vents are on max to try and ameliorate smoke effects.:yuk:
Wish exit valves were in the rear!!

Boeing4ever
16th Nov 2005, 13:11
Thanks for all the replies - I thought that it might be a problem.

I agree with PSF2J that it would be somewhat difficult for an employee to ask the owner of a multi-million £/$/€ jet not to smoke in his own airplane.. :hmm:

Anyone else?

Marco

OFBSLF
16th Nov 2005, 17:04
I would think it would be easy to ask. Of course, you'd probably be looking for a new job very shortly :p

Fossy
16th Nov 2005, 23:57
There isn't any difference if you flying on a private or commercial aircraft, doesn't matter if it's an airline or corporate, minimum by JAR regulations you are allowed to smoke on the aircraft.

Smoking is prohibited by the Operator, not by law!

411A
17th Nov 2005, 01:38
Used to fly a corporate FH227B years ago where the company had a no-smoking policy in all their other corporate aircraft.
Used to carry the Vice-Chairman of the board, and he would sit up front with us and smoke Cuban cigars, along with the rest of the crew, myself included.

He would say...'they won't let me smoke on the Gulfstream, but I like your guys style.'

Couldn't see out the windows even on a clear day....:E

suchiman
19th Nov 2005, 10:04
Hey 411A, did you use to fly in Singapore on a Challenger?

chevvron
21st Nov 2005, 16:32
Mistakenly put on another thread!
Read in ther paper today that Catherine Zeta and hubby like to smoke when they fly hence they always use bizjets.

LHmain
22nd Nov 2005, 10:23
My boss smokes, so do I. He does not mind for me to have one, but if it is a client I refrain, even if the client smokes. Being as they pay more an hour than I earn in a month they can do what they like, within reason that is. Booze is a bigger problem. And of course the reborn christian ex smoker pain in the a**e type.

411A
23rd Nov 2005, 01:05
Not me, suchiman, my forte was the B707 in Singapore...many years ago.

MrKipling
24th Nov 2005, 10:57
Are passangers allowed to smoke on biz jets?

Only after sex :eek: Sorry Ill get my coat :)