PDA

View Full Version : Monarchs Seat Pitch

SamGuest
11th Nov 2005, 07:52
Ok, Surely we've all flew with Monarch at one time? I have, and had no problems, until i flew to Florida from Newcastle on their A330 plane.

From boarding the plane 'till getting off i had nothing but trouble!

My mum is only 5"5 and her knees were in the seat, when i saw this, i couldnt even think of what its going to be like when i sit down (or attempt to), i'm 6"3!

Okay, so i sit down, and i literally have to sit on my side with my back stuck into the arm rest and legs going accross into my mums legroom area, just to be able to get in! Even my flight to Rome with Ryanair had more legroom than that!

I would have moaned on to the crew, but i decided not to bother because it isnt their problem and i guesse there has been taller people with this problem, anyhow, she was kind enough to offer us an empty row so we had the middle seat free which was kind of her. What annoyed me was, she first moved a 4"11 grandma to the middle front seats that have more leg room "to make her more comfortable" :* :ouch:

Anyways, the point of this topic is, is there no limit on leg room for flights as long as this? i mean, it was REALLY bad, and no, im not just being one of the moany passengers but its quite a risk, if i didnt stand up allot i wud have been in more pain than i was after the flight :S

Comments weclome

qwertyuiop
11th Nov 2005, 08:11
You should complain to your tour operator. I believe most airlines would be happy to remove seats and create extra legroom but are asked to provide max seating by the charterer.

African Tech Rep
11th Nov 2005, 11:41
I’m not sure about the removal of seats – the layout is Approved and you can’t just take a row out – well you can but then you’ll be flying with an Un-approved layout.
Unless they have LOPA for the new config and EO for the change.

It would be easier for them to instruct trolley dollies to give tall pax an empty next to them – if there are empties available.

X11
11th Nov 2005, 14:18
MON A330's have the same pitch as every other charter A330 in the UK, they comply with minimums dictated by the CAA. This pitch is driven by the demands of the charterer in order to keep cost to a minimum / profit to a maximum, depending on your outlook.

Want more room? pay more money....market forces matey!

SamGuest
11th Nov 2005, 19:03
Besides XLA, Monarch and First Choice are the only ones who operate from NCL, couldn't get a seat on FCA for our desired dates, so Monarch it was (no chance of me getting on XLA, after the performance they've had from NCL this summer!)

Anyhow, regarding the comment of "Pay More", i was going to pay more, and i'm glad i didnt upgrade, because the seat pitch in "premium" was just as bad, i dont understand premium because;

- You board first? who wants to board first? when you board first it means your on the plane longer andf have people rummaging past you knocking you with their begs

- Private TV's? Well, thats just stupid, theyre so close infront of you theyd hurt your eyes!

-Wider seats? well, my ass fits into a normal one just fine

-More legroom? HAH! dont make me bloody laugh

</rant>

:D

toon
15th Nov 2005, 07:13
What rubbish, the seat pitch in premium is alot better, have flown with monarch to sanford in premium, different experience all together.
You pay's ya money, ya takes ya choice.

qwertyuiop
15th Nov 2005, 09:04
African tech rep,

I think you will find MON have just removed a row of seats from A cabin to provide more pitch on a couple of 757s. They are being used on schedule flights and it was diven by market forces!

Buster the Bear
15th Nov 2005, 09:04
Or you could book early and pay extra for a seat with additional leg room.

African Tech Rep
15th Nov 2005, 09:59
Qwerty = Yes – but I’m sure they didn’t “just remove seats” – if they did they would be flying illegally – there’s a fair amount of “background work” – new LOPA & Engineering order at the least.

So it’s not feasible to do this on a “pax load / per flight basis” – (ie 100 this time so take seats out – 110 tomorrow so them back in) - but it is feasible if they find they rarely fly with more than x pax to configure the plane to suit x pax.

I know some airlines that “route configure” – ie plane is on a to b for a month so one layout used – next month another route so different layout – they have more than one approved LOPA and EO’s to change between layouts.

If MON took a seat row out and increased the pitch of the remaining they may also have has to reposition the PSU’s – more paperwork.

My point was simply that something that sounds easy “take seats out” isn’t as easy as it sounds

I don’t think MON really care how many seats they have – as long as it’s not more than allowed by TCDS – which for the 752 is 164 or 219 or 224 or 239 and the 753 is 275 or 295 depending on the exits the plane was made with (FAA TCDS – UKCAA may differ) – they will reconfig to one seat if that’s what the customer wants, as long as it’s not just for one flight – or the customer pays LOTS.

bigMANofMAN
15th Nov 2005, 13:57
You really should make sure you know what you are talking about before you make comments !

Monarch Have removed a row of seats from certain A/c
It was all done officially too !!! Lots of Paperwork and Yes the PSU's were all moved to suit the new layout.

This was done to allow more leg room in the first few rows which Monarch charge more money for - The same way most airlines are going.

With regard to the Premium cabin - Yes there is more leg room- Yes there are seatback tellys - Yes the service is better and Yes you do get more for your money :D

bigMANofMAN

African Tech Rep
15th Nov 2005, 15:42
Big man – not sure if your shouting at me or not – but if you are please re-read my mails and then read the first two.
My reading was it was being made to sound as if you can just take seats out and put them back in as you feel fit – an opinion that actually quite a few people have because it looks easy and in reality is – it takes longer to get all the docs Approved than actually move the chairs.

I would be amazed if Monarch didn’t do it legally – but I can’t say that for all major airlines.
(and I can say that having once reviewed Monarchs docs for Regulatory Compliance)

If you weren’t shouting at me = sorry.

If we’re friends now – maybe I can suggest you grab a LOPA and let us who can’t be bothered to fill out the “your details booking form” on the website know the pitch – I’d guess 30” Standard, 32” “new config specials” with 34” in Premium.
Not important for me cause I’m not in the UK anymore – but Mr Guest may like to know.

bigMANofMAN
15th Nov 2005, 15:55
African Tech Rep

Not aimed at you personally ! :O

It does get me wound up when people like SamGuest post these comments that are unfounded. :*

It's people like that that give these airlines bad names, all due to a lack of knowledge.

My opinion is that unless you are in the know then you should keep the bad comments to yourself - you only end up looking stupid when people correct you !!!!!!!! :hmm:

As for the seat pitch - I have to admit - I dont actually know !!!
I know that Monarch's A/c are all in line with all the other UK charter airlines.

bigMAN

African Tech Rep
15th Nov 2005, 16:16
Think Mr Guest was really just an unhappy pax – who hopefully now knows it wasn’t really Mons fault (certainly not if a Charter flight) and now knows a bit more about what it takes to change a config and how to get better legroom if there is a next time.

I’ll add two things – that don’t seem to have been mentioned –
One – the difference between a 30” and 32” (or even 34”) is difficult to see – partly because the pitch is measured from foot to foot not cushion to back – but is “telling" when you sit down, especially after four or five hours in flight.
Two – always try and get an Exit Row seat – the gap here is Mandated so you can get to the exit, and thus legroom in these rows is best – NEVER get the row behind an exit row.
Of course this is “general” – not type specific.

PS
Glad your not upset with me - never really went with the biiger they are the harder they fall idea - I try not to upset Bigmen ;)

EI-CFC
15th Nov 2005, 16:43
I know that Monarch's A/c are all in line with all the other UK charter airlines

Aren't FCA trying to buck this trend and have better pitch on their aircraft?

X11
15th Nov 2005, 17:22
EI-CFC

FCA are offering more room, however fares are increasing exponentially per pitch inch! (as you would expect?).

EI-CFC
15th Nov 2005, 23:02
FCA are offering more room, however fares are increasing exponentially per pitch inch! (as you would expect?).

Definitely to be expected. It's an interesting move by FCA though. I wonder will it a) make others sit up and think or b) end up being quietly killed after a few months.

Is it only on their long-haul planes or are they doing something similar on short haul? (Although I personally don't consider 3-4 hours a "short" haul lol)

MRDOO
16th Nov 2005, 01:56
Samguest

Sounds like your'e 6"3 wide, not tall

thegoaf
16th Nov 2005, 06:43
I have flown on a Monarch A321 with the new seat pitch in I think it is 6 rows. I was in one of the reconfigured seats. It is an excellent product, providing oodles of space and I am sure will be very popular.

dada
16th Nov 2005, 06:53
moan moan moan - if your tall it's tough - you have lots of benefits being tall (bigger pants, better views, able to get in clubs when you're 12 etc), but the drawbacks are having to pay adult busfares when you're 8 and having to fold your legs up in cattle class. you cant be trated differently you lanky g*t.

Engine overtemp
16th Nov 2005, 18:14
SamGuest, I suggest you check your facts!
i was going to pay more, and i'm glad i didnt upgrade, because the seat pitch in "premium" was just as bad

It is not difficult to check seat pitches online (http://www.airlinequality.com/Product/seats_europe.htm) and you can tell then that Monarch "Premium Class" offers 34" seat pitch (as opposed to 29" at the back of the aircraft).

This compares favourably with, say, BA at 31" in economy class.

:E

bobspud
27th May 2006, 06:12
You really should make sure you know what you are talking about before you make comments !

Monarch Have removed a row of seats from certain A/c
It was all done officially too !!! Lots of Paperwork and Yes the PSU's were all moved to suit the new layout.

This was done to allow more leg room in the first few rows which Monarch charge more money for - The same way most airlines are going.

With regard to the Premium cabin - Yes there is more leg room- Yes there are seatback tellys - Yes the service is better and Yes you do get more for your money :D

bigMANofMAN

Hi,
Im flying Monarch to Male later this year. Im concidering getting my flights swapped to First Choice. Do you know if the Monarch Premium Seats are made of leather?

Regards,

Peter

hapzim
27th May 2006, 07:23
As far as i am aware all premium seats are leather.

papa hotel
27th May 2006, 17:13
you clearly are the brother of the one recently booted out of big brother shabaz.

Go and have a hissiey fit you tit

glamourgirl!
27th May 2006, 17:36
am ex monarch crew. the premium seats are not leather.

jmc757
27th May 2006, 18:12
Aren't Monarch having leater seats fitted accross the fleet? Last longer apparently?

qwertyuiop
27th May 2006, 18:43
The new seats being fitted are not leather (or even faux leather).

Harry the Hound
27th May 2006, 19:49
Should of travelled FCA!

bobspud
28th May 2006, 08:22
Should of travelled FCA!

Wasn't on the table at the time as they wanted nearly £6,000 for a holiday that I booked for £4000. It was only after I brushed them off they came up with a figure of £3800 with premuim upgrades :( Im not really sure that leather seats matter as long as they are more comfortable than cattle.

Timba 2B
28th May 2006, 12:31
Hi All,
For future reference FCA is definitely worth the concideration.
Their newly designed 767 cabin layout is fantastic. The whole a/c apholstery is leather and every single seat (258 of them I believe - which is less than the average charterer) has its own, personal tv. 33" pitch in Star Class (economy) or 36" in Star Class Premier. Premier even comes with mood lighting - a colourful display to suit the time of day. All the extras - good quality food, comp drinks inc pre-take off cocktail and dedicated crew - what more can you ask for? Admittedly, you will pay more for the privelage but personally if I'm forking out a small fortune for a holiday, I'd rather invest an extra few numbers for the comfort rather than spend my well earned holiday on a couch because I can't stand up!
Also, I've travelled all over with a number of airlines and I must admit - FCA have some fantastic crew. It's actually nice to see some people who appear to enjoy their job and know how to have a laugh. I'd travel with them again. :D

10secondsurvey
29th May 2006, 06:58
I'd like to echo the points above regarding FCA. The seat pitch is excellent, even in the standard seats, but please note this only applies to their long haul routes. on short haul, the seat pitch is the usual crappy 28 or 29 inches, which is pretty uncomfortable for anyone over 5 foot eight. Short haul can mean flights where you are on the aircraft for over five and a half hours, which by my reasoning is a long time.

It should be noted that Monarch offer a 'premium' product on their shorter routes, which DOES NOT give greater seat pitch, that only applies on the long haul routes, in some instances.

Best bet long haul charter is definitely FCA (first choice), without a question.

Posters above who merrily say if you want more room, you just pay for it, clearly don't travel much. On many charter flights/routes, these premium (extra legroom) options just do not exist!

TSR2
29th May 2006, 21:25
Monarch Scheduled offer 6" extra legroom seats at a supplement of £15 per flight and you can select your own specific seat. These seats are located at the front of the aircraft and are NOT the emergency exit seats.

WHBM
30th May 2006, 09:55
I am 6'0" tall and have never found an issue with IT seating. Just back from Faro, that was quite OK for me, likewise trips in past years.

I guess it's the way you sit. Yes, if I slouch lazily forward in BA Club my knees touch the seat in front.

10secondsurvey
31st May 2006, 19:50
WHBM,

It is fantsastic that you really enjoy cramped seating. The experience for other people however, is not the same, whether slouching or not. Even a midget could slouch forward to make knees hit the seat in front, so are you suggesting that the only reason other people find seating cramped is because they slouch?

First choice airlines are head and shoulders above other charter operators on long haul, as even their bog standard (non premium) pitch is better than BA/Virgin/Quantas economy long haul. No other charter operator offers this as standard. It is quite excellent, and much better than Monarch standard seat pitch.

rdwootty
31st May 2006, 20:23
:) Recently I flew to Tenerife with Monarch Scheduled.:DWhat a great fligth. I Paid for extra-legroom seats I booked the seat numbers when I made my reservation and was very pleased with both the Seating and Cabin service. So Pay the extra and enjoy the flight I say Otherwise sit in the back and don't moan.The flight was better than BA Scheduled so put that in your pipe and smoke it ( as they used to say)

WHBM
31st May 2006, 22:19
WHBM,
It is fantastic that you really enjoy cramped seating.
Where did I say that ? Thought I said it was OK, and that actually I didn't find it too cramped.

I've also done several business trips UK to Australia in Y (Cathay/Malaysian), that was OK too. Woman in our office only 5'2" and notably younger than yours truly did the same. Moan moan moan.

jet2impress
1st Jun 2006, 11:53
Heard a pax the other day say that we make the seat pitch so small, to force tall peple to upgrade to extra leg room. He said that the £10 extra legroom charge is a tax on tall people!!

mondriver
11th Jun 2006, 00:36
what a load of sh!te.....

If you aren't happy with 34" pitch seats, which is more than BA economy, then there's no pleasing you. People over 6ft tall fit into these seats easily, and they are very comfrotable.

SOme people just wont be happy unless they get a bloody armchair and a poof to rest there stinkng feet on...for economy class!!

FFS!

Wodrick
11th Jun 2006, 15:41
Always find a poof at MON :)