PDA

View Full Version : imax movie

gadgetguru
11th Nov 2005, 01:42
Picked up a cheap DVD yesterday titled: Straight up - helicopters in action, an IMAX movie produced by Rajon(?) in conjunction with the smithsonian institute, narrated by Martin Sheen. (FYI for any Aussies intrested, only $13 in JB Hi-Fi )

Content was OK, but the footage is sensational. As is usually the norm in the IMAX productions, would have loved to have seen this in the dome.

Was just curious if any of our PPruners featured/involved?

There was some interesting behind the scenes stuff; the squirrel-jock, with the nose mounted imax cam, explaining the overhead chinook shot, passing over the 2 rotor discs & the effect on lift with increased induced flow, the layman wouldn't have realised it so it was a nice addition.

I am curious to know how the 'chook' handled the rotorwash of the squirrel, as it wasn't mentioned, any chance anyone has encountered this, had any reason to fly in such proximity - (thinking along the lines of film work & not military). Is there a noticable effect in something so large, particularly with the twin discs, will it cause any significant pitching nose down tail down as the rotor wash passes over the length of the machine, &/or over sections of larger discs?

any feedback appreciated

zhishengji751
11th Nov 2005, 05:19
Thanks for the heads up!.. I've been looking for this. Hopefully they've got it up in Sydney too.

rotorfan
11th Nov 2005, 06:09
If you ever get a chance to see the real IMAX version, DON'T MISS IT! There is some tremendous footage there. The part that really got me is the 500 taking the lineman to inspect the high-tension powerlines. I felt like I was out on the platform with the lineman. Creepy! :ooh: Whatever those guys get paid, it can't be enough, lineman or pilot. High-tension, hell, high-risk seems more like it.... They must have big ones, made of titanium. :cool:

gadgetguru
13th Nov 2005, 20:29
I am currently working for the high-voltage transmission company in Victoria, so the H500 sequence doing the platform work was also of special interest.

I got involved with some of the engineers working on an incident where a 500 arced between, 2 seperate conductors, arc jumped across to the T-tail from a second conductor, through the airframe, through the guys, aluminium mesh suit, through the wand (which disintegrated) & out to the conductor that they were working on.

I was asked to produce some scale 3D models to determine AC spacing etc so that the distances could be determined. They were trying to make sure that any of the existing conditions had not been breached, & if not to make sure it didn't couldn't happen again by modifying the normal working procedures.

I got to have a look at the photo's of the arc points where the guy was sitting, the guys suit,(arse cheek & glove, reckon there might have been skid-marks all round that day. :sad:

The guy was OK, unconcious, hell of a headache & was kept in hospital for observation, not sure whether he has continued with the aerial work though.

vaqueroaero
13th Nov 2005, 22:46
I think the Flying Banana is operated by Classic Rotors out of Ramona, California. The next time I'm up there I'll ask some questions. It sure is a great machine.
They have a great collection of rare and vintage machines. Helicopter heaven!

Helibelly
15th Nov 2005, 07:04
I went to see the Imax film at the Science museum in London about the ISS space station, it was broke so they put on one about the human body. To a man everyone got up and left! What's the full title of the heli film (so i can amazon it).

gadgetguru
15th Nov 2005, 07:57
Straight UP: Helicopters in Action

try here (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=imax+movie+straight+up+helicopters+in+action&btnG=Search&meta=)