PDA

View Full Version : RAF Exchange pilot gets into a mess.

Lu Zuckerman
24th Dec 2000, 05:38
I thought i would give this gem a new incarnation.

To: Baque Flip and Crab as well as Grey Area and all the rest of you Brits that I have crossed swords with on what Brits are taught Vs what the Yanks are taught.

The following happened at the US Coast Guard Air Station (Floyd Bennett Brooklyn, NY) in the early years of WWII.

On one occasion a "nonconformist" RAF autogyro pilot was approaching for a landing in an HNS along a flight path which took him over a concrete seawall when the aircraft suddenly lost lift. Fortunately, the main landing gear hooked on the inside of the seawall so that the aircraft could not roll backwards. It just sat there rocking back and forth with its tail over the seawall.

LCDR Red Lawrence rushed out of the operations office, crawled into the left seat and flew the helicopter out for him. It didn't take long to find out the cause of the accident. The pilot was STONED!

The station wardroom had a beer mess that was supposed to be closed until after working hours. The Commanding Officer was not aware of it, but some of the students were having a few after breakfast. That was the end of the beer mess.

PS “Red” Lawrence was my CO at CGAS Traverse City, Michigan

------------------
The Cat

------------------
The Cat

212man
24th Dec 2000, 05:54
I think posting the same message twice in one week is a sign of something, begins with s and ends in, ah can't remember now(politeness prevents me from saying, unlike some others on this forum!).

At this rate, sometime next week you could start a thread on whether the R22 should have been certificated or not.

Only joking, have a good Christmas.

------------------
Another day in paradise

Lu Zuckerman
24th Dec 2000, 06:06
To: 212man

While you were making your post, I removed the first version because I thought the three guys that it was addressed to would have made a comment. It was specifically meant for them because they raised several questions about how an exchange pilot that came from the UK would respond to learning gyroscopic precession in the States.

Nobody responded. However when I placed a juicy title on the same posting I got a bite within two minutes.

Thanks for responding and have a Merry Chrismas and a safe New Year.

------------------
The Cat

sarboy
25th Dec 2000, 22:26
I'm an RAF Exchange Pilot with the Coast Guard (narrows it down a bit - there's only one). No gyros in the tropical procession down here. Lots of nice blokes trying to be the best they can be with some pretty minimal training. Tried asking one of the instructor pilots how the doppler worked once - blank stares. Definitely sober though. Did you know Paddy Hayes (exchange to USCG at CGAS Brooklyn in 80s)? Sadly hoisting angels from the clouds now...

212man
26th Dec 2000, 00:53
Nice work if you can get it! Tampa in January is not quite the same as Anglesey. (Good place to build up some FW hours too).

------------------
Another day in paradise

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 25 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by 212man (edited 25 December 2000).]