PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear Question....

Easy226
9th Nov 2005, 19:12
Hello,

We are doing our final year project on designing a landing gear for a helicopter and we were wondering what job the item in the picture does (see link below). There is a joint to the left of the picture that joins the oleo housing of the gear to the wheel axle.

Is the main purpose of this to make the wheels turn and therefore gain directional control (on ground) by stopping the oleo from rotating around its casing?

Picture Link - http://www.pbase.com/slug/image/26140

Many Thanks

Dr Illitout
10th Nov 2005, 08:42
Hi easy.
I have not seen this particular U/C before but it looks to me that the links on the left of the picture are the normal "Torque links". They keep the inner part of the oleo and the wheels facing in the desired direction. The upper torque link on this U/C are attached to what looks like the steering collar and the silver link on the right is part of the steering or damping mechanism.
What aircraft is this gear fitted and is it a main gear or a nose gear?.
I hope this is of some use to you.

Rgds Dr I

south coast
10th Nov 2005, 15:25
i think it is a torque link which keeps the tyre assembly
facing forwards. linked so it can retract and extend as weight is put on and taken off in the landing and take off phases of flight.

recently the airbus in the usa with the nose wheel facing 90 degrees off, i would imagine due to the torque link not doing what it is supposed to.

Atreyu
13th Nov 2005, 00:06
yeah both answers are perfect :P Yeah that airbus in america wasn't pretty :S It happened as the gear extended, from the pictures, it was skewed 90 degrees in the air. Must have been a failure in the gear housing or during extention. it must have been working during the T/O Roll. The crew would have noticed that kind of failure. Hopefully :/

Excellent landing thought wasn't it?

Easy226
13th Nov 2005, 21:59
Yes indeed it was - saw the video on another site. Many thanks for your replies in the thread guys - it is much appreciated.