PDA

View Full Version : Poitical Correctness Nil, Sanity 1

Onan the Clumsy
9th Nov 2005, 18:00
There's a place out near Fort Worth called White Settlement that I had thought was simply named after someone, but I heard that it was originally a group of Europeans living amongst Indians.

Well they had a vote yesterday on whether or not they were going to rename it to West Settlement.

...and they lost

by 92%

AND... the local residents are now getting together to recall the mayor and the entire city council

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

:*

con-pilot
9th Nov 2005, 20:32
First ya all whoop us in football and Tex-a-cans are now showing good old common sense, I might have to change my mind about them thar Texans.:E

However, I must point out that last year the SPCA (or one of them type folks) wanted to change the name of Slaughter Oklahoma (named after a family, not an occupation) and us Okies ran them out of the state.

(Well we really didnt really run them out of the state, they got into their SUVs and left, just sounded better the other way):)

PT6ER
9th Nov 2005, 22:15
So, er,

what happened in French Lick Indiana then.........;)

pigboat
9th Nov 2005, 22:36
There was also a proposal to change the name of Fish Kill, NY. The town dates back to Peter Stuyvesant's time when the Dutch owned Manhattan, and Kill apparently meant River in the Dutch language. Sanity prevailed.

On another note, there has never been a proposition to change the name of Dildo NF, to Sexual Prosthesis. Newfoundlanders are obviously politically incorrect.

Darth Nigel
9th Nov 2005, 22:38
Or Intercourse, PA ?? (http://www.800padutch.com/intercs.shtml)

planepsycho
10th Nov 2005, 01:10
I always thought the town of Beaverlick, Kentucky sounded funny......this town is within 10 miles of two other towns called Big Bone and Hopeful Heights:confused: :confused:

tinpis
10th Nov 2005, 01:16
:sad:

26 April 2003 - The Australian government is preparing to flout a demand by the United Nations for it to intervene to remove the word "nigger" from a sign on a sports stadium in Queensland.

The ES Nigger Brown Stand at the stadium in Toowoomba, near Brisbane, was named after the town's first international rugby league player, Edward Stanley Brown, who toured Britain in the 1920s. He was nicknamed Nigger Brown not because he was Aboriginal in fact, he had fair skin and blond hair but because he used a brand of shoe polish, Nigger Brown, that was popular in that era.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1050777302366_2003/04/23/24n_stand,0.jpg

arcniz
10th Nov 2005, 01:22
Lets put in a word for changing the Floridian "Pensacola" to the more traditional Spanish "Peniscola".

pigboat
10th Nov 2005, 02:13
Thanks pp. You given me a great question for Sunday's quiz. ;) :D

tulsa
10th Nov 2005, 03:57
Pig Boat :
I used to live in Sask. I would think that someone might have to say something about:
Beaver Creek SK
Seemen SK
Climax SK
and for the SPCA ers:
Buffalo-jump-head-smashed-in Alberta.
I know that ther is more but tis late
Tulsa

Leftpedal
10th Nov 2005, 12:00
In the good old U of K we have

Penistone
which is near my favourite,
Cockermouth

Both in Cumbria....

RaraAvis
10th Nov 2005, 12:17
In Manitoba there's a town called Indian Head, not far from Moose Jaw.
For the main attractions of that quiet little place it's a toss up (depending on the season) between gazillion mozzies all size of a small buffalo or the famously crisp climate with temperature howering around -70C.
But the people are lovely.:O

CWL2YOW
10th Nov 2005, 13:39
In Saskatchewan, about 100km north of Saskatoon, there's a town called Prince Albert, which is also my girlfriend's home town. I had a lot of fun explaining what a Prince Albert is to her and her family. The town is normally referred to as P.A., either cos they are embarassed or too lazy.

Davaar
10th Nov 2005, 13:48
I was once a director of a corporation in Prince Albert, SK, which was called "Prince Albert X and Y, Inc", and we wanted to incorporate a subsidiary in the UK. The corporations authority in the UK vetoed this, on the grounds that titles of royalty may not there be used in corporate names. Much much discussion to persuade them that this was the name of the place. Diefenbaker practised law in PA.

brain fade
10th Nov 2005, 14:31
A town in florida called 'Boggy Bayou' was renamed 'Niceville'.

How........nice.

pigboat
10th Nov 2005, 15:26
On the other hand, there's Kangiqsualujjuaq, in Quebec. Before the natives became empowered it was plain old George River.

alphapat
10th Nov 2005, 15:26
I remember looking at a map of Colorado (i think) and seeing Cockburn and Gaylord very close to each other

Ralph the Bong
10th Nov 2005, 16:57
There is a brand of cheese in Australia called "COON".:}

Darth Nigel
10th Nov 2005, 17:25
Favorite town name in Quebec is "St. Pierre de Wakefield" :confused:

Paranoid Parrot
10th Nov 2005, 17:54
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

Sanity? Not sure about that.

:p

Farmer 1
10th Nov 2005, 18:36
Let me begin by explaining that nothing in this world interests me less than football. My knowledge on the subject is therefore not what might be called universal.

A couple of years ago, a certain English football club wanted to name an area of their ground after one of their famous departed players, a Mr Bell.

They decided against it, after it was pointed out the area would be known as the Bell End.

J Urby
10th Nov 2005, 22:29
Personally i like Twatt; a town in the Orkneys which had an airstrip in WW2

Carnage Matey!
10th Nov 2005, 23:52
It was always a bit of a hairy landing there. Best just do a touch and go.

Leftpedal
11th Nov 2005, 10:10
Wasn't there a helicopter company based there that had to close down following a pollution scandal? The local papaer had a headline that read;

Chopper pulls out of Twatt after dumping load.....

Collects hat, coat and shuffles out....

chiglet
11th Nov 2005, 18:48
Left Pedal,
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH CARBOLIC SOAP:mad:
Penistone is in Yorkshire, near Barnsley, as tha cooms oert Wood'ed Pass from Mankie
watp,iktch

2R
11th Nov 2005, 18:56
Favorite sign on Highway in sask
New York is big ,but this is Bigger,Sk:8 :8 :}

li'l ginge
12th Nov 2005, 06:45
I confess to having a snigger everytime I drive past the turn-off to Packenham Upper......

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Nov 2005, 06:57
Unfortunately, sanity is not a state of mind subscribed to in South Africa. A concerted effort is being made by govt to wipe out all signs of the past while constantly harping on about it.:rolleyes:

The lessons of Zimbabwe have been ignored...:( :{

Loose rivets
12th Nov 2005, 08:36
or one of them type folks

I say old chap, it should be 'or one of them thayerr type folks'

Gobbler's knob....lots of thems in Tennessee. And of course Prat's Bottom in Kent:E

Paterbrat
12th Nov 2005, 13:04
The attempts to wipe out the past by some African states is reminiscent of the Khmer Rouge to wipe out the past and begin again by Pol Pot. Destroy and begin again???

Robert has done well in Zim hasn't he? And he the one who was screaming about the mess the Dominion had made of creating a stable economy viable state and peace progress and justice.
He has failed to even aproximate a tiny percentage of what was achieved before he began destroying it all in the name of 'progress'.

spanishflea
12th Nov 2005, 18:40
Ugley always gets my laughing, its just outside Stansted airport.

Putting a Womens Institute in Ugley was not a particularly wise idea...

Capt.KAOS
12th Nov 2005, 19:17
Used to live for a short while in:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit aka กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถาน อมรพิมาน อวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธ aka "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn" aka Bangkok.

Farmer 1
12th Nov 2005, 19:28
Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit aka ا෾ҹ ѵԹ ԹظҴš ѵ Ҫҹպ شҪȹ ʶҹ þҹ ǵʶԵ ѡзѵ ɳءԷ aka "The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn" Sorry, what was its other name again?

tony draper
12th Nov 2005, 19:31
Their relatives must need big envelopes.
:uhoh:

Paterbrat
13th Nov 2005, 20:18
Bangkok. The name, it means village, bang, of wild plums makok. or if you really like Krung Threp, the city of Gods, the Great, the Residence of the Emerald Buddha, the Impregnable City of God Indra, the Grand Capital of the World, Endowed with Nine Precious Gems, the Happy City Abounding in Enormous Royal Palaces Which Resemble the Heavenly Abode Wherein Dwell the Reincarnated Gods, a City Given by Indra and Built by Vishnukam, go ahead.:D

Farmer 1
13th Nov 2005, 20:25
Please make up your minds. Otherwise, how will the postman know where to deliver the letter?