PDA

View Full Version : Lecture in Oxford 9 November

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2005, 15:12
This may interest a few people, I can speak very highly of the speaker as being somebody with an encyclopedic knowledge of how helicopters work, and an excellent lecturer. Sorry for the late notice. You're unlikely to cause offence by just turning up, tea and biscuits are laid on.

G

Wednesday 9 November 2005 7pm for 7.30
Begbroke Science Park, Oxford

‘Duck…here comes another one’
an insight into what really makes
helicopters fly!

Speaker – Simon Newman – Southampton University

Simon is a senior lecturer in aerodynamics at Southampton University and will share his knowledge with us in his unique way.

Open to members and non-members – all welcome
Enquiries to [email protected] or by calling 01869 336006

Oh yes, directions..

Directions: from the A34 north of Oxford, exit at the Peartree interchange following signs North for A44. After approximately 1.5 miles, turn right at the roundabout, signed Begbroke/Sandy Lane. The Science Park is on the left in 1/3 of a mile. On arrival at the Begbrook gate (gate should be open) – proceed up drive and then turn right. Parking area will be immediately in front of you. The presentation takes place in an auditorium located in the Old Farm Building which faces you as you travel down the drive on what is then the right hand end of the building.

Brilliant Stuff
9th Nov 2005, 20:21
How very sad sounds liek an excellent lecture, would have loved to have gone, alas I am on Duty anyway.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2005, 22:04
It was, you missed an excellent - if rapid lecture.

Dr Newman managed to cover most of the fundamentals of helicopter design, aerodynamics, shipboard operations, blade sail, vortex ring, helicopter configurations from gyroplane to helicopter to convertiplane and compound helicopter, finishing off with how BERP tips work without once resorting to maths and so far as I could see losing any of the audience. The question and answer session was pretty wide ranging - covering the aerodynamics of LTRE, pros and cons of the Fairey Rotodyne, helicopter noise, and rotor blade design. (In fact I think he covered about half the final year of my first degree in under 90 minutes!).

Overall, a very enjoyable evening with an incredibly knowledgeable speaker.

G

212man
9th Nov 2005, 22:14
So Far; got the Book, but not seen the lecture or got the T-shirt!. Pity:(