View Full Version : Older Captains

Pirate
9th Nov 2005, 10:27
I was interested to read the last page feature in the current "Flight", reiterating the forthcoming pilot shortage and stressing the need for experienced captains. I lost my job in the aftermath of 9/11 being a very experienced commander but on fairly elderly round instrument type jets. I undertook a 737 300-900 conversion at my own expense but that led nowhere, the occasional interview giving elliptical reasons for rejection which roughly translate as "too old".

I'm currently quite happily employed in the aerospace industry but I do hanker for a return to the flight deck. Is there anybody out there with any thoughts on the prospects of a 55 year old returning to the fray?

:confused:

captplaystation
9th Nov 2005, 14:23
Why the hell not,but I might contemplate avoiding the main low-costs unless you really want to spend your twilight years working your rocks off.No offence intended, but since 9/11 this industry just got/gets worse & worse.Constant exposure to slow deterioration is almost sustainable,what you are contemplating is like jumping in a cold pool with memories of the caribean; having said that I was sat home for 10 months after 9/11 and I missed flying, more than the money(& I missed that to within a week or two of bankruptcy!) so I'm a fine one to speak eh?