PDA

View Full Version : CPL training with RQAC or Curtis, which is better?

lhcdennis
9th Nov 2005, 08:58
Hello
I'm going to learn flying in australia with the ab-initio training to CPL/MEIR. I have selected two schools, one is RQAC in Archerfield, another is Curtis Aviation in Camden.
RQAC has been training China Airliner's cadet. And using C172 and BE76 on their flight training. Curtis famous for aerobatic. will be using on Citabria Explorer or Piper Cherokee Warrior, Piper Dakota or C182 and Piper Twin Comanche.
I can't decide which one is better. Have anyone give me some opinion on this two schools? Which one has better ground school, aircraft, or instructor, compare with Archerfield and Camden which is better for training even in airline career?etc...
Looking forward to hearing from you. :O
Thank you

Horatio Leafblower
9th Nov 2005, 11:37
I can't speak for RQAC but a couple of my ex-students have gone to Curtis to do some advanced work.

They speak very highly of the equipment and quality of instruction.

All the best with your training.

Wombat35
9th Nov 2005, 17:33
Personally,

I have always found Curtis Aviation to be professional and efficient. I have been flying with them on and off for almost 10 years. I love the 7gcbc's so much I have just bought one!

The best thing is that you will really enjoy your flying as well as "ticking the box" .

Good luck with whatever you choose.

bigfella5
12th Nov 2005, 10:58
Go with the aero club. Highly professional.....not hard to figure really:ok:

catseye
12th Nov 2005, 20:33
The question you need to ask yourself is ... what do I want to get out of my training. Am I heading for a career flying from sealed runway to runway whilst putting up with ATC. Alternately do I want to learn about grass strip, sloping runways and no ATC with a 1 minute taxy.

Decisions, decisions......

For info the Camden option only has a tower on the weekend

The Eye

Counter-rotation
12th Nov 2005, 21:52
Well I did some training at RQAC and let me tell you it was tragic. Indeed, this was a while ago, but I would caution anyone about going there. Nearly turned me off aviation altogether. Money-grabbing ar****les who were not the slightest bit interested in the standard of training.

I hope the people involved in ripping me off have the same visited upon them.

CR :yuk: :ouch:

TurboOtter
17th Nov 2005, 09:22
I agree with counter,

I've been to both, RQAC a long time ago, but all they want is your money, they once cancelled a booking for about 30 hours of aircraft hire because they thought I owed them $50, turned out they f#$ked up as usual.
I have even tried to get a certificate that I am entitled to from them however they claim they cannot issue it any more! Low low organisation.

As for Curtis I did some training there, lovely guys, have all the time in the world for you, willing to help all the time. Far better pricing and the staff and instructor care.
The after sales service is great to!

GO TO CURTIS you will be happier!

PeteB
18th Nov 2005, 01:20
I converted my UK CPL and ME/IR with RQAC, and then completed an instructor rating with them. I now work there as an instructor. Obviously I am biased towards the company, however as a past student, I feel that the comments above are a little harsh. If the above was true in the past, it certainly is not now.

It would pay you to do some further research on the club, preferably talking to some students - past and present.

As far as I know, the club has an excellent reputation in the industry, we have excellent instructors, and very supportive ground administration staff. The Aero Club at present is very busy, and I would question the need for it to be in any way 'money grabbing'.

You may also be interested in the Airline Academy of Australia, which is the side of the company training the China Airlines Cadets. It is run as a full time ground theory and flying training school, from ab-initio to CPL and beyond.

Please do some further research and try not to be put off by people that have had poor experiences in the past.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or to call the club, we are always happy to help.

Pete.

185skywagon
18th Nov 2005, 01:23
It (RQAC) had a fairly average attitude towards PPL students in 1989. Only interested in the "potential airline type students".

Oz Vegemite
20th Nov 2005, 04:41
I did my training at RQAC a number of years ago and found them to be very professional.

I have a couple of mates who have been training with them over the last 2 years and they have been very impressed with the professional approach of RQAC. RQ have certainly raised the bar when it comes to standards and procedures. After all they have been round a long time and have graduates in all the right places.

Good luck with your training you won't go wrong with them.

Oz V

pjay
20th Nov 2005, 21:30
lhcdennis,
Many things should be considered when choosing your flying school -
Qualifications and experience of instructors - just holding an instructor rating is fine for the ab-initio/PPL work, but to get a half decent CPL/IFR instructor you should be looking for someone with experience outside of instructing as well.

Attitude - Patience and empathy are very important quality's for an instructor to have when training students. If you can find an instructor who can remember how hard it was for themselves when they were learning, it will make the process not as painful as it can be. Notwithstanding this, they should be quite firm and not budge on the standards and skill level required. Just talking to the instructors (not the salesperson) you can get a good idea if it is evident. Ask a couple of questions and if you get the brush off - there's you answer.

Availability of aircraft/facilities - No use being only to able to fly once in a blue moon, especially if you are a full timer.

Maintenance - Don't know what Curtis are like (probably good if there general reputation is anything to go by), RQAC's are maintained by one of the very best around.

Ground school support - this is essential. I've seen many students wash out because the trouble they had applying themselves to the books. If you are in this category, ask lots of questions of both staff and students, computer based assistance is not enough.

If you have the opportunity, go to both places and have a look around and see where you feel most comfortable. Generally, they will make an appointment with the 'salesperson' for you who will try to 'sell' you their school - go with that as they will give you lots of info on price etc. But drop back in on the week-end unannounced and have a look at things how the operate when the CFI isn't there. See if anyone is interested enough in you to take the time to talk to you etc.

Good luck, and remember getting your licence is the easy part, getting yourself a job is somewhat akin to climbing Everest. It is a very tough industry.
PJ:)