PDA

View Full Version : First IR Renewal

Bentleigh
9th Nov 2005, 01:12
Gday

I have a question for those of you IR rated chaps and chapesses out there.

My ME Command Instrument Rating (ILS, VOR, NDB) is due for its first renewal in the next few months.

Any suggestions for what I should revise prior to the renewal, and what format the renewal will take?

Ta

maxgrad
9th Nov 2005, 02:01
Get a copy of the standard IR form. On the back will be the oral and flight headings.
Oral..On your computer or paper write the first heading. e.g knows recency req's. Then write your answer using all available info. Do this with all the headings and you will have a basic study pack.
I would expect the testing officer will ask you q's like ...flying SPIFR from a to b, you arrive at your dest then find your altimeter has an error of ..... Can you return back to base? Any pax allowed? etc etc.
go over these sorts of operational situations and give answers again using all available regs and info.

The flight test will be very much like your initial, depending on who did the initial and who will do the renewal.

Keep asking yourself operational Q's including partial panel, Wx, lighting and then include approaches.

e.g I have an engine failure on the inbound turn of an NDB approach to a circling min. What are my initial actions, next actions and so on. Go into detail on each part and then sit in a chair(away from laughing onlookers) and pretend you are flying and go through all the above.

Hopefully you have been doing this from pre first solo, if not start now.

Hope that helps

Bentleigh
9th Nov 2005, 02:09
Thanks for that Maxgrad

It sounds like it will be fun......

flywatcher
9th Nov 2005, 09:12
Where can you obtain a copy of the standard IR form? Can't find it on the CASA site. Thank you

Whoops! Found it. Sorry.

Tempo
9th Nov 2005, 10:41
I have always found the IFR quiz at the back of the Flight Safety mags really good to check your knowledge prior to a renewal. I tend to save them throughout the year and go over the questions coming up to renewal time.

N2000
12th Nov 2005, 01:31
Thanks for you help folks, it all went fine!!