PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Uluru

BBK
9th Nov 2005, 00:22
Hi Guys

A couple of questions from a Pom on his hols....

I'm hoping to fly (as in scheduled service) up to or near Uluru/Ayres Rock. Which is the best airport to fly to? Do the low cost boys fly there etc?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a field near to Sydney where they fly vintage aircraft or at least have a museum. Many thanks for any info.

cheers
BBK (from 51N, 1/2 degree west!) :D

peuce
9th Nov 2005, 03:51
QANTAS fly right to Ayres Rock(Uluru)

www.qantas.com.au

I believe you can then get scenic flights from their as well.

UnderneathTheRadar
9th Nov 2005, 05:42
Unfortunately you're limited to Qantas for the two nearest airports (Ayers Rock - very very close( 20km); and Alice Springs - close (about 500km - it's a BIG country!)) - unless things have changed with Virgin Blue recently.

Your best price option is to get a one-world alliance ticket that allows flights in/around Australia - they're almost the same price as a normal return flight and you'll get to either one for stuff all cost.

HTH

UTR

enicalyth
10th Nov 2005, 19:41
Strange call sign!

Old aircraft?

Any RAAF base really... Williamtown, Richmond...... (incoming!!!)

Please come to see Aussie and not her aircraft! But if you must...

Sydney is a big big place, very spread out so try a web search on Bankstown + Camden + Tiger Moth and go from there. But beware, it is expensive hence fool, money, parted etc. Personally I'd climb the Harbour Bridge and drink in the Nelson and the Hero to obtain the same effect.

Aussie has not been exceptional in preserving the air heritage so the pommie museums at Hendon, Cosford and Duxford are I am afraid in a league of their own.

If you go to Victoria or Queensland I can think of three museums so websearch nearer the day if you must leave the Premier State. But going to the Territory? Cheap in the summer 'cos its well hot, Aussies go in the winter and its well expensive.

Alice Springs is worth stopping in and it kinda grows on you. Or at least something will if you stay in Toddy's. Alice. It's like Collingwood without the tinsel. It's big. It's got a Coles AND a Woolworth's. And a branch of my tailors. Target. That's pronounced TarZHAY, Hyacinth. Check out the RSL. Oh yes!

Visit the Telegraph Station. Alice's museums are all small but you will find the odd aviation gem. If you don't look you won't find it. Seriously, go to every museum there no matter how trivial it sounds. Including, believe it or not the Desert Park. Yup. A Desert Theme Park... in the Desert. Only in Alice or Collingwood. Mind you in Collingwood you can get married three times and still have the same in-laws whereas in Alice you can take your wife and sister to a pub and only have to buy one other beer. It's true but it's against the law everywhere else.

Visit the cemetery and look up Albert Namatjira and Lassiter and ponder on the contrast.

In the textile museum there are beautiful dress lengths for sale, made by local by Arrernte ladies. Makes the girl-friend think you care. Makes the wife furious. Good prices too, especially when you see the mark-up in Adelaide.

Only in Alice are you simultaneously as close to all the beaches in Australia. The tide tables are pinned up in the tourist office, just lay your towel down and wait...

Get a 4x4 do John Hayes Rockhole, Glen Helen (ahh the pub) and swim round to the organ pipes. Trek to Ormiston Gorge, the Pound.... sod aircraft. If its flying you want Trephena Gorge has all the flies you'll ever want to see, hear and eat.

Look for Ghost Gums, Red Gums, and Fruit Gums where Australia's deadliest mammal, the Drop Bear hides. More than Red-Backs, Joe Blakes, Salties and Funnel Webs the Drop Bear suckers more tourists than any other Godzone creature.

Its a long way for a pom from Alice to Yulara by bus. Always be 45 minutes early at least, the b*****s don't wait. You can camp next to the Sails in the Desert. For sure you won't be able to afford the hotels there which are only for newly weds and nearly deads anyway.

Er, when you buy your steak or burger at a campsite try to remember you are in oz so don't look surprised when they give you raw meat. Just find a vacant hotplate or stove and you cook it y'self mate!

The trick to climbing the pink rock is to be at the foot one hour before sunup. 38 deg C or 0730, whichever comes first they'll close the walk. It's disappointingly easy, 45 mins up and when the chain stops, one teeny weeny false summit and you are there so easy bro. People do fall off. Japanese chasing windblown hats for example. Stepping back to frame the shot... Worse than drop bears some of 'em.

The Olgas are much nicer. And King's Canyon. If you stay two nights at Yulara campsite you get one night free at King's Canyon. B******s don't tell you that either or that campers can use the posh self-catering kitchens and the equally posh swimming pool. Reason? Staff are Kiwis or Poms. The Kiwis are all misery and the Poms, well nothing drier than a pommie's towel so that rules out service on both counts.

Do as much of the Larapinta as you can.

Naw. You don't come to Oz for aviation. Get walking in the bush. Get flat out like a lizard drinking.

Best Rgds

The E and KO Sally

Still On Tour

Back Shortly

maxgrad
10th Nov 2005, 21:19
enicalyth!...Blo0dy classic mate!
Whats even scarier is it's.....Spot on mate!.
Good advice with good places to see.
There are scenic flights, be it rotary and fixed wing at the rock, worthwhile.....mate
Watch out for overnight costs at the rock, got many choices of room, even a caravan park but all very expensive.
maxgrad

BBK
11th Nov 2005, 08:16
Hi Guys

Many thanks for all the info especially from Enicalyth. I don't think I was expecting quite so much feedback...

cheers
;)

OpsNormal
11th Nov 2005, 21:16
Enicalyth, that was about as close as it gets!

About the only thing I could ever hope to add to what has been written is that if you did get the opportunity and are flying yourself (which if you could there is a lot to more to see than the average tourist ever gets to see - especially in the Western Macs, Gosses Bluff crater and Ormiston Pound etc etc etc are fantastic from the air in a lightie), then if Uluru/Ayers Rock is your fancy and you are on a budget then why not stay at Curtin Springs? It is about 45nm east of The Rock, has a 1400m strip (albeit gravel) and the accomodation ranges from free camping to a/cond rooms (what are referred to locally as "dongas") that are reasonably neat and presentable. The family owned Property is a working cattle station with a store/pub etc and a stop off point for busses, backpackers and tourists of all kinds and descriptions so a broad cross section of Australia is the go. I was lucky enough to live there a few years ago now and was the station pilot at the time. All in all I spent about three years in The Centre.

While many only think of Central Australia as The Rock, the Olgas and Kings Canyon and a whole heap of red sand, that is but the tip of the "iceberg" so to speak. If you can't hire an aircraft yourself, then fly the fam to Alice on the 'burner, then when you get there look up a bloke who posts here under the name "Bushy". He has the good oil on tours at the right price to see what there is to see to get a feel for the place.

tinpis
11th Nov 2005, 22:20
Be sure to check out the totally dysfunctional Mutijulu Aboriginal community .

What good has "ownership" of the area done them?

Pseudonymn
12th Nov 2005, 02:36
If you do decide to stay at the resort at Yulara, albeit perhaps the campground, when you book in, flat out ask them if any of your fee to stay there goes towards the Mutijulu Community at all.

If you feel so inclined, you can then ask to have this removed from your cost. (This is not shown as a seperate fee on your invoice, but they must tell you about it if asked and also must remove it if asked to.) :ouch:

Home James!
14th Nov 2005, 08:45
BBK,

Adding to comments, and they are all good. You get the vastness of Australia though by road and train. If you can afford it in time as well as money use ground not air travel. Get used to distance, picking up ice for your esky and the fact that a litre of water is more expensive than a litre of petrol (or can be) is an experience!

Your query extends to Sydney and Uluru and so we should stick to that. While in Sydney savour Harry de Wheels pies at some stage. Wanna walk? The Royal National Park is an idea. Take the train to Otford, two days walking, 15km each day. Bundeena Ferry back. Wallabies? Take the bus from Wynyard and then ferry to Kuringai. Nice little campsite. Blue Mountains? Take the train to Blackheath and Echo Valley. Wanna see the great outdoors? Take the train to Broken Hill, visit the underground mine, see Silverton Ghost Town. Back on the train to Adelaide, visit Kangaroo Island. On the train again to Alice Springs. From there bus to Uluru. Once in the Red Centre there is enough in the East and West McDonnells to keep you busy. Rainbow Valley truly memorable for example. Always look on the back of your Cole’s or Woolworth’s checkout in Alice as printed in red might be a cheap car hire offer. Don’t pass up and rival car firms may match the deal. Nothing wrong with bunkhouses like Toddy’s by the way, they all will offer a family bunk room for wusses. All part of the experience. Get to the RSL (Rissole) half-an-hour before sunset. Lest we forget.

Have fun! Welcome to Godzone Country! Why live elsewhere?