PDA

View Full Version : Help!

rob152
8th Nov 2005, 23:37
Hello people,

Right, I need some words of advice from anyone who can help me!
I recently applied for the FlyBe sponsorship, I managed to get an email asking me when it is that I finish college. I replied and unfortunately didn't end up with any success, I guess because I'll still be studying when training commences! I'm studying for a HND in Aeronautical Engineering; Does anyone think this qualification will fare well when applying for sponsorship programmes? I have 9 GCSE's but only one or two of them at grade C and above, will the HND counteract the lack of high grades in my GCSE's do you think? I considered the response from Cabair regarding the FlyBe sponsorship to be quite positive, would anyone else agree? I mean, would you feel good about applying for other sponsorship's as and when they arise?
I'm 25 and I have about 46 hrs towards my PPL, I'm so determined to make it one day but feel that, of course, advice is knowledge and you can never have enough.

Any advice anyone can offer would be so greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

Cheers, Rob

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Nov 2005, 06:40
Every little helps, as Tesco says, and you will do no harm in having additional qualifications. I didn't do so well with my GCSE's, and it would appear that BA were not interested in me until I got a degree (back when BA had their sponsorship).

Having a HND in Aero will certainly help you get the heads up on the ATPL syllabus, especially for the tech based subjects.

Do remember that getting on a sponsorship program is VERY competitive, so make sure you have a back up plan.

Good luck.

rob152
9th Nov 2005, 11:44
Hi CAT3C Autoland,

Would just like to say thank you for your reply, my eyes are certainly peeled in a bid to spot any sponsorship's that arise, wherever and with whoever they may be. I think at the moment it's sensible to concentrate on my engineering course and just keep an eye open, maybe start hounding everyone with letter's!
Also, where would be good place's to look for financial help if I wanted to pay for myself? As a result of being at college my credit rating has been ripped apart but is there anywhere you can recommend? Just wanting to view all avenue's.

Again, thanks for your time
Rob

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Nov 2005, 17:15
Firstly your welcome for the reply.

With regard to the financial side of things, it is getting tougher now to get a loan, especially since HSBC have withdrawn their professional studies loan program. Also, not having any collateral will hinder your chances of getting cash from the bank.

I went down the 'work your ass off for 3 years route' and saved the cash up. This has its disavantages in the respect it will take time to accumulate the money required. I managed to save about three quarters of the cash and obtained a loan for the difference. Even if you saved up a third or maybe half, at least you could approach your bank with evidence of your saving ability, and see if you could obtain a loan for the difference. Going along to the bank for a chat might be the best option, tell them what your plans are and see if they can help you. If you do, go along with a business plan of how you set out to achieve your goals.

All the best.

rob152
9th Nov 2005, 18:08
Well I think I obviously need to get through this course firstly, but like I said I will constantly moniter the sponsorship situation and apply for anything and everything, also just send letter's and maybe CV's out. I guess if I have no joy in the near future I need to find some kind of career that I may enjoy and do the 'work my ass off for 3 years' and save as much as I can and then review the situation. I'm certainly not going to be giving up the dream without a fight at it, one way or another I fully intend to achieve my life-long ambition. You never know, I might be your First-Officer one day!

Many thanks again for your valued advice

Rob

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Nov 2005, 19:38
Bloody hell, I have to slide into the right hand seat myself first, before I move into the left!:eek:

However, I do like your optimism, keep it up!

rob152
9th Nov 2005, 19:43
Ha ha, sorry I just assumed you were already there! Well your miles ahead of me so you never know! Out of interest, when do you expect to land yourself in the right hand seat? What experiences have you had?

Rob

CAT3C AUTOLAND
9th Nov 2005, 20:05
No probs. Well, technically I am in the right hand seat, the instructor seat that is, and really enjoying it.

As like most people who use these forums, I have made numerous applications to most of the airlines recruiting. The closest I have come is CTC, however I was unfortunate in the sense that I did not make it through the final interview. Shame because we were told if we did get through the final interview and the AQC, we would have been off to Thomson Fly, for the B757, doh!:{

Nevermind though, head high and keep trying!

rob152
9th Nov 2005, 20:20
Well I'm sure you will get it one day, just got to believe and keep on at it because I'm sure it's worth the persistance. Like I said, I've still got to gain my PPL, although I'm probably less than 10 hrs or so away, but I'm going to keep trying until I'm too old to do it, even if it means paying for myself one day! We were all put on this great planet to do something, flying is the only thing I'm good at and it's the only career I want to do, much the same as you I'm sure. So with the HND, do you think I meet CTC requirements, because they do sponsorship through EasyJet and various others don't they? Oh and whereabouts do you instruct?

Regards Rob