PDA

View Full Version : I enjoyed that...

Self Loading Freight
8th Nov 2005, 22:11
BA4327 tonight, all four mighty engines hauling the tax-efficient suits from Ronaldsway to Gatwick through the murk, happy cabin crew doling out the G+Ts, bit of chop as we surf across a front. Good clean fun.

On finals to Gatwick, things pick up. We bounce, we sway, we execute a few minor excursions of a vertical nature. Nothing at all worrying but, y'know, it's a small aircraft and the ground isn't that far away. I prepare myself for a bit of a smackdown, mildly expecting that it's probably best to get rid of that last few feet with some despatch. Just before the runway appears beneath the wing, there's a final twitch that makes the grass seem especially interesting.

And the bleeder greased it. Didn't even feel the nose wheel go down. I didn't know you could do that in a quadrapuff , even if you got a choir of angels to let the thing down on ropes of celestial silk. On the way out this morning, the weather wasn't nearly as exciting but the beast fairly pogo'd in.

Well done, whoever you are (I did manage to say so as I passed the flight deck door on my way out, but couldn't hang around). That was fun.

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2005, 22:22
Some years ago I was scheduled to return from Birmingham UK to Copenhagen on a small 'exec' plane. It was a scheduled service (mid 80s). The weather was stormy (trees bent over and glasses blown down from street lamps). I rang Mrs G-CPTN in Denmark and learned that all SAS flights were grounded due to gales. I rang Birmingham Airport "Would the flight be going?" "Yes, sir, we fly every Thursday afternoon." . . . .
We took off and flew to Copenhagen with some degree of disturbance. On finals it got VERY rough, with the 'plane tossed up and down and side to side. About 20 ft above ground level the pilot pulled it up slightly and we 'floated' down for an imperceptable touch-down. Spent the night in Copenhagen Airport - no onward flights to anywhere as all SAS and Maersk flights grounded due to excessive wind . . .

acbus1
9th Nov 2005, 07:01
Bad.

Any runway, but especially a wet/damp/greasy runway demands firm touchdown to ensure wheel spinup.......otherwise you could, for one thing, blister (the tyres, I mean)

Lon More
9th Nov 2005, 14:44
With Acbus on this: Seen a few skite off runways after a gentle touchdown.
Most of my arrivals belonged to the "any landing you can walk away from .... & re-use of the aircraft is a bonus ..." school of thought
http://swamp.com.au/assets/strips/7539.GIF

airship
9th Nov 2005, 14:52
Reminds me of an internal ANZ Fokker flight between Auckland and Whangarei back in the '80s. Stormy morning. At the gate, I was welcomed with an anguished "I saw the landing, the airplane bounced up and down at least 3 times, are you OK?" To which one replied in one's best Bond accent "Slightly shaken (if you insist) but not stirred...thank you" ;)

G-CPTN
9th Nov 2005, 14:56
The comment I like is from the old lady after a particularly heavy landing, to the pilot standing in the cockpit doorway - "Were we SHOT down young man?"