PDA

View Full Version : About to install SUSE Linux 10.0... Known probs?

None of the above
8th Nov 2005, 19:32
As soon as I have a few hours available, I shall be installing Linux on this PC.
I'm going to take the opportunity to install a larger hard drive for WinXP and the slave HDD presently used for back up purposes will be used for the new OS.
I'll transfer existing files into XP once it is up and running again and future back ups will go to an external hard drive.
Now, I understand that I must install Windows first but are there any other pitfalls awaiting the uninitiated?
I did successfully partition a single drive some while back with an OS that escapes me (Mandrake?) from a magazine disc, but as I couldn't get it to work with a dial up modem, I ditched it at the next re-install. So, I'm not exactly a beginner but my knowledge and experience can hardly be called encyclopaedic, nevertheless I'm ready to have another go.

So Gentlemen, do you have any advice for the new SUSE Linux 10.0 user?
All contributions will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

N o t a :ok:

None of the above
10th Nov 2005, 16:19
Thanks for that, Cheerio.

I'll see if I can get it up and running via an ADSL router first of all, before I enter the uncharted waters of WiFi.
Should have an interruption free zone on Sunday to make my first attempt!

Ta

N o t a

Tinstaafl
11th Nov 2005, 03:35
I use Kanotix, a version of Knoppix which, in turn is a version of Debian.

Kanotix even managed to get my laptop's winmodem (yech...) working out of the box, something many other distros couldn't.

glyn thrash
11th Nov 2005, 13:32
have you had a look at linspire.com.. based off of Debian.. that is what i have on my laptop. runs great.!!!!!!! great support

Spinflight
12th Nov 2005, 22:13
Why does anyone want to use one of the umpteen versions of Linux when Solaris 10 is open source??? :confused: :confused:

glyn thrash
12th Nov 2005, 22:28
some of us don't know how to write command lines and install stuff from OS.. working on that though:ok: