PDA

View Full Version : Generic names for helos

Thomas coupling
8th Nov 2005, 13:19
Why do some helicopters have generic names and others not?

For example:

Puma
Gazelle
Colibri
TwinStar [Squirrel]

What about the :
S76

Who gives these names out?

Phoinix
8th Nov 2005, 13:28
109 - Power, Hirundo... but for the rest, i have no idea.

NickLappos
8th Nov 2005, 13:34
I participated in the naming efforts for a few Sikorsky types, it is not a game for the faint of heart, when closely scrutenized, every name sounds foolish! Names come from either the manufacturer (for civil aircraft like the TwinStar) or the military organization that paid for the design (like Black Hawk or Iriquois). Numbers come from the manufacturer when they designate the sequential model number (S-76) and come from the US military service when they are type/model specific (UH-60L, MH-60L, SH-60M).

I think the nick-names they get from their users are the more durable and memorable, like Huey and Snake, Jolly or Thud or Buff.

Wunper
8th Nov 2005, 14:20
Nick

Didn't the S-76 used to be called the "Spirit" until some religious zealots decreed it disrespectful? I think it's a cool name and should have been kept pc or not.

W

forget
8th Nov 2005, 14:53
It was Rolls-Royce who objected, successfully, to the name Spirit. Claimed it was 'theirs'.:confused:

md 600 driver
8th Nov 2005, 16:12
tc

it was eurocopter [or predcessors] that gave them all names they must have thought yours did not warrant a name

What about the :
902 Explorer
135 billy no mates without a name .
S76 spirit
109 hirondo

any one think of a name for tc s helicopter

how about one of neds callendars[or a magazine for the winner let tc pick the winner come on ned

SilsoeSid
8th Nov 2005, 16:41
How about,

EC135 - Lizard ?

It seems to have PA News' vote!!!

http://www.circusmalabaristas.co.uk/Graphics/Speciality/RR-Lizard.jpg

;)
SS

NickLappos
8th Nov 2005, 17:57
Wunper,

The "Spirit" was the name of the S-76 (which started out as the S-74, but gained 2 "points" when the bicentennial of 1976 was being celebrated.)

Spirit was chosen in a contest among Sikorsky employees. The winner was Adoph Plenefishe, who was a worker on the VS-300 and the R-4. Talk about a pioneer, Dolf was the fellow who drove the parts car with the white bull's eye on the roof that the first delivery R-4 followed on its trip from Bridgeport Ct to Dayton, Ohio in 1943.

The Spirit name lasted about a year, but was dropped because the name was copywrighted by Spirit Helicopters in San Francisco,and Spirit wanted $500,000 to license the name to Sikorsky. Gerry Tobias refused to pay that much, so he had us drop the name. The ghost "spirit" story was used to avoid embarassment about not doing a careful enough name search, I believe.

Thomas coupling
8th Nov 2005, 18:39
Once an a*se always an *rse with you I think MD599 (1 short of a chopper).

There was a competition by ECD for the naming of the 135 but no-one got to know who won:confused:

Lynx
Cobra
Chinook
Labrador
Wasp
Apache
Comanche
Dauphin

R22
R44
BO105
MD600

SilsoeSid
8th Nov 2005, 19:56
TC,

Isn't the R44, or variant thereof, called the 'Raven'?

http://www.robinsonheli.com/r44ravenmain.htm
" The R44 Raven is offered in two models...Raven I...Raven II "

And the BH206, isn't that known as the Jetranger/Longranger?

http://www.bellhelicopter.textron.com/en/aircraft/commercial/
"The 206B-3 JetRanger III ......the 206B-3, the LongRanger IV"

:confused:
SS

ppheli
8th Nov 2005, 23:22
Here's another one for the mix.. The R44 with floats was originally going to be called the Neptune (presumably to "rule the waves") but settled down for the Clipper. I guess that the final decision was made over a glass or two of Cutty Sark whiskey? "hey, that's a nice thing on the water on that there bottle, mate, it says it's a Clipper". OK, that's decided then...

the S-76 is also known as the Eagle in military form

the 109 was spelt both Hirundo and Hirondelle dependant on what country the brochure was printed in

I like the nickname Wokka for the Chinook, a very appropriate onomatopoeia which has been used in the domain name http://www.wokka.co.uk/ - an excellent site on UK Chinook photos and history.

IFMU
9th Nov 2005, 00:47
I've heard a rumor about the rollout of the S76 Eagle. The rumor goes that it was an S76B Eagle, as it had the P&W engines. People at the rollout interpreted it as the S76 Beagle, and they had to redo the logo.

NickLappos
9th Nov 2005, 01:43
IFMU,

I was there and flew my share of the Armed S-76B tests and demos. That story isn't really true, but I do remember that we insiders did affectionately call it the "Beagle"

ConwayB
9th Nov 2005, 04:34
With regard to aircraft, the Military Designation System follows these rules:

The letter to the immediate left of the dash is the BASIC MISSION symbol. This includes C for Transport (Cargo), F for Fighter and B for Bomber, etc.

If it’s a non-standard aerospace vehicle, this may be modified by the VEHICLE TYPE such as ‘H’ for Helicopter.

The number to the immediate right of the dash is the DESIGN NUMBER submitted to the organisation responsible for designation of military aerospace vehicles, HQ AFMC/LGSI. For example, F-16 means that it was the 16th design for a fighter aircraft submitted for designation.

The letter immediately after the design number is the SERIES DESIGNATOR. The British use the Mark system. For example, CH-47D is Transport (Cargo) Helicopter – 47th design submitted and fourth series in the design (ie D). The Brits would call it HC.1 Mk III Helicopter Cargo Type 1, third series. (Any pommies out there, correct me if this is not accurate.)

A POPULAR NAME for aerospace systems (including missiles, rockets, fixed wings, space vehicles) is decided upon after submissions from interested persons or units. These are then assessed and checked for suitability / PC / copyright, etc.

As for naming aircraft in the US Army, any helicopter (and FW I think) is normally given a name representing an Indian tribe;

Some great, and not so great, helicopters:

Mohave, Cayuse, Choctaw, Chikasaw, Creek, Apache, Cheyenne, Iroquois, Chinook, Black Hawk, Comanche, Kiowa, Sioux, and so on.

For more info on the MDS, go to the following website:
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/afji16-401.pdf

Bravo73
9th Nov 2005, 09:15
ConwayB (or anyone else who might know...),

The letter to the immediate left of the dash is the BASIC MISSION symbol. This includes C for Transport (Cargo), F for Fighter and B for Bomber, etc.

Something that I've pondered in the past briefly but does anyone know why WWII-era Fighters used a 'P' prefix (whilst the Bombers were already using 'B')? eg P-51, P-47 etc vs B-17, B-24 etc.

:confused:
B73 (A very late model 'Bomber', it would appear...!)

PS Apologies for slight thread creep...

John Eacott
9th Nov 2005, 09:25
Bravo73,

P for Pursuit :ok:

SilsoeSid
9th Nov 2005, 09:28
It was because the P-47 was a 'Pursuit' Aircraft?

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/ind/pind.htm

USAF Museum Pursuit Aircraft Index

Curtiss P-6E "Hawk"
Boeing P-12E
Boeing P-26A
Seversky P-35A
Curtiss P-36A "Hawk"
Lockheed P-38L "Lightning"
Bell P-39Q "Airacobra"
Curtiss P-40E "Warhawk"
Republic P-47D "Thunderbolt" - Razorback version
Republic P-47D "Thunderbolt" - Bubble canopy version
North American P-51D "Mustang"
Bell P-59B "Airacomet"
Northrop P-61C "Black Widow"
Bell P-63E "King Cobra"
Fisher P-75A "Eagle"
Lockheed P-80R "Shooting Star"

Snap B73, with knobs!
:ok:
SS

Bravo73
9th Nov 2005, 09:32
Mystery solved!

Many thanks JE & SS :ok:

More Payload
9th Nov 2005, 16:50
SS,

Your cut&paste from the Bell site is a bit misleading.

206B is Jet Ranger.
206L is Long ranger.

Full sentence under 206L-4 is:

"Like its predecessor, the 206B-3, the LongRanger IV began with all the best features, coupled with a stretched cabin"

MP

Geoffersincornwall
9th Nov 2005, 17:29
Heard on the R/T at Port Stanley airfield November 1984

Squeaking 050 you are clear to join from the South, there's a Fat Albert climbing out an Eric on finals, two Teeny-Weenies hovering in the upwind areas, look out for the Woka-Woka shortly joining from the North and beware the Stovepipe on the threshold

Like Nick says - it's the nicknames that seem to be enduring.

md 600 driver
9th Nov 2005, 17:43
Geoffersincornwall

was the woka-woka the one we obtained from the argies

tc
ta for the compliment

Rigga
10th Nov 2005, 12:04
We didn't get a Chinook from FI - though we got a Puma, some Hueys and a few of A109's!

The Puma took a couple of years to repair before entering RAF service; 1 Huey was taken as a "Prize" and went onto the airshow circuit (as G-HUEY) for a few years, the others went into museums; and the 109s went into Army service.

There were also some Pucaras taken to UK of which at least one was flown for performance and tactical assessment purposes.

There were also many military vehicles including Merc G-Wagens and Unimogs which were well utilised for many years - Most of which were not paid for - having been delivered to Argentina only a few months prior to the conflict

I remember some Renault Armoured cars about Mount Pleasant too - Anyone else remember the Pink Panzer?

Thomas coupling
10th Nov 2005, 15:13
Rigga: sorry what has this to do with helo names old boy?????????

Fake Sealion
10th Nov 2005, 16:21
Perhaps as a sub thread....

Can anyone add to this list of fixed and rotary wing re-cycled names?

Seahawk - Armstrong Whitwoth & Sikorsky

Lightning - EE & P-38

Raven - Robinson & General Dynamics

Thunderbolt - Republic & Fairchild

Typhoon - Hwaker & it's decendant (!)

Hawk - Curtis & BAe

Keep em comin'

FS

Rigga
10th Nov 2005, 16:21
TC

"...was the woka-woka the one we obtained from the argies "

needed an answer!

What about:

Whirlwind
Wessex
Scout
Wasp
Kolibri
Allouette
Llama
Cobra

...just a few "off the top" names...

Blackhawk9
10th Nov 2005, 20:14
UH1/204/205-Iroquios/Huey
UH-1N/212 -Twin Huey
Military 412's- Arapaho (as seen on id plate of Norwegian 412SP)
Canada- their own name for everything! (must be same name in English and French the problems of being by lingual)

wassatboing?
10th Nov 2005, 20:33
I gather that the merlin or EH101 started life as the European Helicopter Industrie 01 or EHI 01 until some civil servant got it wrong

Fake Sealion
11th Nov 2005, 08:07
A few more re-cycled names:

Whirlwind - Westland & Westland

Tomahawk - Curtis & Piper

Nimrod - Hawker & DeHavilland

Skyhawk - Douglas & Cessna

More please?

FS

Rigga
11th Nov 2005, 12:05
Typhoon - Hawker & BAe (& ?)
Buccaneer - Blackburn(BAe) & (a little seaplaney thing!)

wassatboing?

I\'d heard that this mistake (EHI 01 to EH101 [now = Merlin]) was made by a Company Secretary when completing some official application form and so the \'designation\' was incorrectly registered. It would then be cheaper to leave it, as is, than change it!
(Ohhh, the clarity of Hyphens-Dashes!)

ase engineer
11th Nov 2005, 15:52
Not that EH-101 / EHI-01 myth again!!!

It was always EH-101 cos it sounded good, inspired by a well known airliner family.

Harumph