PDA

View Full Version : Great Xmas pressie idea!

Curious Pax
8th Nov 2005, 08:26
Saw mentioned in the paper this morning, what seems like a great idea for a Christmas present for Mrs CP - a goat!

Apparently it started last year, and has been taken up by more charities this year - look at Oxfam's web pages for more details on what they do, though there are others doing it I believe. Basically instead of throwing cash in a bucket as a donation you can specifically buy something that will be of use to someone in one of the poorer parts of the world, such as a goat, a donkey or a camel. Includes other stuff too (for example medicines), but I think the price will be worth the look on Mrs CP's face when she finds out one of her presents has four legs!

No doubt there will be the usual grumbilngs about the amount spent on admin by the major charities, but as far as I am concerned somewhere will get a useful animal, and even if I pay a premium over the price they would pay down the local market it will be worth it for the laugh on Christmas morning. :ok:

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2005, 08:34
A nice fluffy idea, but why would a poor person want a goat?

How do they feed it for a start? :confused:

Most of the poor people I've met in the third world were looking for jobs, not goats...

Whirlygig
8th Nov 2005, 09:41
You might to read this!!

I need a goat! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189076&highlight=goat)

Cheers

Whirls

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Nov 2005, 10:26
Does it come with wellies and velcro gloves?:E

Sorry, sorry.... Hat, coat, yada, yada.......... :ouch:

Edited to add that goats are also known as the scourge of Africa. They're immensely destructive and are slowly helping to advance the defoliation and desertification of Africa.:(

Save Africa, curry a goat...!:ok:

gatfield
8th Nov 2005, 10:34
I'm poor, but I don't want a goat.

Still want chockies for xmas.

DX Wombat
8th Nov 2005, 11:47
The charity which I support also has such things as fruit trees, chickens, sheep etc and even Health Worker Training available as presents for people. I like the idea very much. We are not a poor nation and most of us have what we need already, anything else is extra to requirements.

Curious Pax
8th Nov 2005, 13:17
Blacksheep, maybe if they were a goat herder in Africa? Unlike your namesake, a goat will eat anything, so that is not a problem. Apparently part of the deal is that the farmers get trained in animal husbandry, and the goats get vaccinated, so have a longer life expectancy.

In very simplistic terms once you have a male and a female goat then you are on the way to having more goats, as long as they stay reasonably healthy and have something to eat. Once yuo have more goats you can sell some of them to make money to buy other stuff. QED.

Blacksheep
9th Nov 2005, 01:27
Give a poor man a goat on Thursday and his family will have a feast on Friday. Give a poor man a job and his family will have a feast every Friday.

If you want to really give some practical help to the developing nations, come on over and join in.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Nov 2005, 04:07
CP

More goats just means more destruction of the environment. :(

The buggers ring bark trees and will even climb a tree to get to the juicy bits.

Great in curry, though.:ok:

B Fraser
9th Nov 2005, 08:14
A goat isn't just for Xmas

Carve it carefully and it will last until Boxing day.

Gouabafla
9th Nov 2005, 09:44
Rusty, I know what you mean about goats and in general I'd agree with you. However, I did read an article in the UK press this week that followed up on the results of 'last year's give a goat thing'. Apparently it's all pretty well monitored, and training in appropriate husbandry and enviromental monitoring are all part of the deal. Also, the people who are given a goat are required to give the first two kids to other people to help the scheme spread.

Frankly, I was surprised by how well thought out and executed it seemed to be. Until that point, I was very much of the 'curry a goat and save Africa' school of thought.