PDA

View Full Version : Irish transport minister off to US to renegotiate bilateral

akerosid
8th Nov 2005, 06:03
Ireland's minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, is off to the US today, to try and renegotiate a new Irish/US bilateral, ahead of next week's EU/US talks. The minister is trying to negotiate a transitional period for Shannon to adjust to the new regime, although he will not say how long that will be. He did, however, admit that the US stance had hardened, to the extent that they now want Open Skies to mean Open Skies, from day one (how unreasonable ;) );Cullen says this is unacceptable to him.

Well, he'll have to swallow it. Even if the Americans do agree to it, which I think/hope is very unlikely, I can't believe that the Europeans would have no objection. If every European country could negotiate their own little side deals, it makes a nonsense of the whole thing.

The fundamental weakness in the govt's stance is that linking growth in DUB to that in SNN has been proven NOT to work for Shannon; despite growth of 50-60% on EU/UK flights, Shannon only saw growth of 2% on US flights. Why do they believe that holding back growth in one area helps growth in another? It's nonsense, but of course, it's politically motivated nonsense, so that's what they're arguing for. When Cullen gets back, he can say "oh well, I did my best".

My big concern is that although the govt can't put pressure on US airlines, it will probably try to put pressure on EI behind the scenes to maintain a particular level of service to Shannon, notwithstanding Open Skies. :*

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2005/1108/1344820484BZCULLEN.html