PDA

View Full Version : Overseas employment

propwash85
7th Nov 2005, 23:24
G'day all,

Just a quick question i hope someone could answer. Just wondering how you find out about employment flying overseas in such places as PNG and Africa in particular?? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Propwash85.

troppo
8th Nov 2005, 00:27
It's quite easy really, do some research, find somewhere that hires with your level of experience.
Then you get off your bum, buy a plane ticket, pack your bag and go knock on doors like everyone else.
It normally works and it puts you one step ahead of the rest of the people that sit around thinking the job will come to them.

tom19
8th Nov 2005, 01:22
troppo

buying an overseas plane ticket (say to Africa) with no guaranteed job sounds like a bit of a gamble to me...any other suggestions for propwash85?

troppo
8th Nov 2005, 02:05
It doesn't matter where the ticket is to Africa or PNG, they are both expensive.
Not wanting to sound like a prick, but thats the reality of getting a job in PNG and most likely Africa.
Read the forums, it's the same advice given to newbies who want to get a job in the Top End. Everyone says go north early in the year and wait around. Do a search on PNG and the same advice is given there. Do a search in the Africa forum and you come up with the same.
Employers in PNG want to see people that have the initiative to go there, have a look around, get on with the other blokes. They won't hire a cv and pay recruitment costs to someone that turns up and says "f:mad: k this place is a ****ehole", "i can't handle it", "i miss my mummy" etc
The majority of people that I know that have gone to PNG (including myself) looking for work have ended up with a job.
It's reality!

Sexual Chocolate
8th Nov 2005, 02:22
That's because it is a gamble. Try finding any outfit in Australia who'll 'guarantee you a job' because you sent them a CV and made a phone call - it doesn't happen.

Like anywhere else, it comes down to being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. You want a job OS, do it the same way you would in Australia. Find out where the equivalents of Darwin, Kunnunurra and Broome are, stick your life in a backpack and go there.

Don't go over with the preconcieved idea that you're going to work there for the next two years. Treat it as a holiday and fact finding mission, and if you're really lucky, you just might pick up a job while you're over there.

Or you might get there and realise that the third world isn't for you. Or that it's near impossible to get a work visa in some places. Or that you came at the wrong time of the year. Or that you don't like flying aircraft which should have the entire instrument panel labelled 'unserviceable'.

Re: Africa, go to Prune's African Aviation Forum and check out my thread on 'Swakopmund, Namibia'. Re: PNG - how many hours you got?