PDA

View Full Version : Another 'We musn't offend them'

frostbite
7th Nov 2005, 22:04
Waveney Council is the latest bunch of huggy fluffs to hit the headlines.

Christmas lights are not being displayed this year 'to avoid offence'.

What is the problem with this country?

Jerricho
7th Nov 2005, 22:26
It's not the country Frosty..........

Stop the world, I would like to get off please.

pulse1
7th Nov 2005, 22:44
As Stuart Prebble says in "Grumpy Old Men", the reason there are so many asylum seekers in this country is that it is becoming more like an asylum everyday.

tilewood
7th Nov 2005, 22:59
Yes but wot happens when I take offence at the
Christmas lights being removed? Damned all!! :*

To think my old dad fought to defend this country's independance
and way of life, and all the prols in Westminster and the other Kremlins in the cities of Britain have handed it all away.

mini
7th Nov 2005, 23:04
Stop the world, I would like to get off please.

You & me both mate...

markflyer6580
7th Nov 2005, 23:10
Who will it offend??
In Hull (soon to be re named kosovo) all the immigrant toerags have more flashing lights on their honda civics than my whole street has at christmas.That offends me big time,its all tony blairs fault.. HE CAN KISS MY AR:mad: E

chiglet
7th Nov 2005, 23:12
My Dad [partially disabled] "Munitions"..Elder Brother KIA, Dunkirk. Younger Brother..Seaman/Stoker [t'oher way round Drapes?] Me? RAF, Borneo 1960's.....
Iwas proud [Like my Dad and "Kin"] to fight for Monarch and Country.......Now, I am in desparate straits.......
I LOVE my Country.....but these wankrs...:mad: :mad:
watp,iktch

Flypuppy
7th Nov 2005, 23:21
I realise this might be a bit of a radical idea in a democracy and all, but have you ever considered this;
the council works for you, you pay taxes and rates for them and coucillors are elected by you democratically. With me so far? Right, the council has done something you don't agree with so find out who your councillor is and complain. Really, it might have more effect than having a strop on an aviation related bulletin board.

You might be able to contact the council by post, telephone or e-mail;
Waveney District Council
Town Hall
High Street
Lowestoft
Suffolk NR32 1HS

Telephone: (01502) 562111
Email: [email protected]

Milt
7th Nov 2005, 23:49
Flypuppy

Yes - call the council.
But will the council workers be able to speak English ?

Most unlikely. And don't mention the situation just across the channel.

chiglet
7th Nov 2005, 23:52
Flypuppy,
Yup, done that.
Saw said "councillor both privatly and at the Local Assembly...aka waste of time..result...Waffle :mad:
watp,iktch

TheFlyingSquirrel
7th Nov 2005, 23:55
get out why you can....that's what I'm doing !!

OneWorld22
8th Nov 2005, 00:01
Of course the ROCPUF's don't give us a link and omit the following...

Mark Bee, the council leader, yesterday insisted that the wording of the proposal had been drawn up by officials and said the change was being proposed solely on economic grounds.

“I consider the wording of the document unfortunate and I will be taking it up with the officer on Monday,” said Bee. “I do not see the reason for this as one of equality and diversity. It is one of economics.

So it's for economic reasons.

Is this just another attempt at scare mongering? Dire warnings about the "muslims under the bed?" :p

like the "scandal" widely reported by a hysterical media over the banning of Hot Cross buns by a Manchester council, because they offended Muslims....

Except of course the stories weren't true.....

p.s. don't tell the loons here that Waveney is a Tory run council!

Flypuppy
8th Nov 2005, 00:27
chiglet,

why not take your concerns to the next level? Either contact the leader of the district council or raise it with Suffolk County Council. Alternatively go directly to your local MP. That can often have surprising results.

The thing I have found about politicians is that if we sit fat dumb and happy and dont give them a hard time, they assume we are agreeing with what is happening in our area, district or country.

We have the right to vote, but we also have a responsibility to ensure those we choose are carrying out our wishes.

Interesting that it is really an economic reason and not a PC inspired decision though....

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2005, 00:32
>But will the council workers be able to speak English ?

Our District Council got a special mention on national media for their instruction to householders to place their wheelie bin "at the curtilage of your property".

planepsycho
8th Nov 2005, 01:32
Talk about some scrooges....
All I can say is "Bah Humbug" to those people:yuk:

TheFlyingSquirrel
8th Nov 2005, 01:37
where I come from, we have a joint November 5th and Divali celebration - I don't understand why we celebrate the fact that we DIDN'T blow up the feckin houses of parliament ! Where's the logic in that ? Total bollocks ! Shall we have a vote, Jerricho ?

RJM
8th Nov 2005, 02:30
THe Australian government is showing some sense with respect to its constituency. A rapid tightening by the parliament of anti-terrorist laws last week (much opposed by tree-hugging 'progressives' in the local press) preceded a series of raids on numerous properties in New South Wales and Victoria this morning.

Around 16 people were arrested, all male, predominantly Muslim including an imam, together with a large amount of explosive material similar to that used in the July 7th London bombings. Mooted targets were a busy train station and a major stock exchange.

These are seriously dangerous times requiring appropriate actions, including the curtailment of some freedoms, as happens in times of conventional war. It is up to us to make sure that those freedoms are restored as the threat reduces.

I can't wait to read what the tree-huggers have to say in tomorrow's papers.

Darth Nigel
8th Nov 2005, 02:36
It is up to us to make sure that those freedoms are restored as the threat reduces.

Ahh, but in this nebulous war on terror, when will the threat be reduced? Strikes me that, without some vigilance amongst the left and the right, we could be in for a long hard winter of discontent.

I fundamentally agree with your position, by the way. But I start worrying when we have secret tribunals, secret laws, secret prisons ... if justice is to be done, then let it be seen to be done. Many a scoundrel wraps himself in the mantra of "National Security" and "unquestioning patriotism". Me, I'm a cynic.

RJM
8th Nov 2005, 03:00
Fair enough, Darth Nigel. To quote two well-worn phrases: 'The price of freedom is eternal vigilance' and 'we get the government we deserve'.

In this case the populace will have to be vigilant to make sure that freedoms are curtailed only to the extent and for the duration of the period of threat. Seems to me this is a crucial aspect of all this.

If we fail to do that, and we let unscrupulous politicians leave us shackled, it's our own fault. The risk, I suppose, is that we give our leaders so much power that we cannot regain our lost freedoms without too great a fight, or perhaps that both sides (leaders and us plebs) become accustomed to the new, tighter regime.

If the controls remain after 'the threat', then I'm for the remote countryside with the vegetable garden and the cow, or the tropical island with the wahine if I can afford it.

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2005, 05:15
So the councillor took no notice and gave you a load of waffle? There may be nothing you can do this year, but councillors are elected. Kick up a fuss in the local paper, on notice boards in the supermarket, anywhere and everywhere, any chance you get. And keep on doing it.

Eventually they all come up for re-election and if they get back in, it means you're in a minority and must keep your mouth shut. If they don't get re-elected then you'll have won.

It worked well enough for my Dad when he fell out with his local council - he found plenty of people had the same opinion as himself and they got a bunch of councillors who shared the electorate's opinion.

For a while at any rate.

Stockpicker
8th Nov 2005, 08:39
Our minister on Sunday mentioned in her sermon that there is a suggestion that churches should obtain clearance as to the messages they post on their noticeboards in case they cause offence.

Arg!

African Tech Rep
8th Nov 2005, 09:18
Just an idea

If you really feel strongly about this how about contacting all the store / companies in the area and seeing if they will support decorations financially.

If the council is being honest and their plan is based purely in finances there should be no problem with permits.

You might also look into where last years decorations went – and the council budget for this and last year.

Yorks.ppl
8th Nov 2005, 11:07
Last year in wakefield I took my children to see the christmas lights, I was met, at the main approach into the town, by a huge iluminated sign saying "happy dillwalli" (not sure of spelling).
I drove on wondering about the meaning of the sign. In the middle of town was another huge sign wishing us all a "happy eade" (again not sure of spelling) I didnt see a sign saying happy christmas although I am told there was a small one outside the cathedral but I don't know if they put that up them selves.

There are not words to discribe how insensed I felt. Not because the signs were there, that in its self was a thoughtfull and inclusive gesture, no I was, and still am insensed because there was no attempt to make anything of our own culture, its like we just dont matter, and thats wrong.

Incedentally wakefield council banned all council buildings from flying the union jack so as to avoid giving offence to ethnic minorities.

Paterbrat
8th Nov 2005, 11:12
Aaaaaaah but you see it was for economic reasons...by the time we had catered for all our minorities, sposered the Eid Kabir celebrations the Diwal festival of light there was actualy not enough in the kitty for union jacks. But the good news is we are going to add a West Indian carnival next year.

African Tech Rep
8th Nov 2005, 11:45
From their web site

Waveney District Council has put in place a system to ensure that the allocation of grants by this Council is fair and free from political influence. We have done this be establishing a Grants Allocation Panel, which comprises Members of the Council and representatives from the voluntary, and community sectors, supported by officers from the Council.

The recent report on Christmas Illuminations was a recommendation to the Council’s Executive on the subject of continuing to provide grant for the provision of Christmas lights and was set in the context of the Council’s overall grant setting policy.
The Leader of the Council has decided to withdraw the report from the Executive agenda for the 10th. November, and has asked officers to provide, a report which recommends that the Council awards the full Christmas lights grant (in accordance with the report’s original recommendation) and that of the grants allocation panel, at the next Executive. The report will not consider any of the other recommendations made by the Grants Allocation Panel.

The report was trying to make clear to Members that the equality and diversity issue was the fact that this grant is not advertised, in line with the general grants process, and that therefore the process was closed to new applicants. We would accept that the issue of it being a Christian festival was not relevant to the report, and should not have been included, as the issue was about fair access to Council services, which includes the availability of grants.

Sounds a bit like you might just get the lights.
I still think you should keep a close eye on their spending plans and make a big deal of it if they don’t budget for what you want – others will.

Paterbrat
8th Nov 2005, 11:53
Apart from sounding like a rather garbled recipe for fudge... oh it is a fudge, for Christmas lights by popular demand. How strange is that. How nice. Christmas celebrated in a Christian country now fancy that. ( even if it is a pagan festival that was appropriated.):) :ok:

Astrodome
8th Nov 2005, 23:18
Waveney District Council has put in place a system to ensure that the allocation of grants by this Council is fair and free from political influence. However when it suits, or when there an embarrassment in the offing....The Leader of the Council has decided to withdraw the report from the Executive agenda for the 10th. November, and has asked officers to provide, a report which recommends that the Council awards the full Christmas lights grant So no political influence there then ! How re-assuring.

Boh'ban
8th Nov 2005, 23:46
Got e-mailed this today. A bit off topic but I didn't want to start another PC thread. Twould be funnier if not so close to the bone...??

Trafalgar - 1805 PC.

Nelson: "Order the signal, Hardy"

Hardy: "Aye, aye sir."

Nelson: Hold on, that's not what I dictated to the signal officer. What's the meaning of this?"

Hardy: "Sorry sir!"

Nelson (reading aloud): "England expects every person to do his duty, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious persuasion or disability. What gobbledygook is this?"

Hardy: "Admiralty policy, I'm afraid sir. We're an equal opportunities employer now. We had the devil's own job getting 'England' past the censors, lest it be considered racist."

Nelson: "Gadzooks, Hardy. Hand me my pipe and tobacco."

Hardy: "Sorry sir. All naval vessels have been designated smoke-free working environments."

Nelson: "In that case, break open the rum ration. Let us splice the main brace to steel the men before battle."

Hardy: The rum ration has been abolished, Admiral, it's part of the Government's policy on binge drinking."

Nelson: Good heaven's Hardy, I suppose we'd better get on with it. Full speed ahead."

Hardy: "I think you'll find that there's a four knot speed in this stretch of water."

Nelson: Damn it man! We are on the eve of the greatest sea battle in history. We must advance with all dispatch. Report from the crow's nest please."

Hardy: "That won't be possible, sir."

Nelson: "What?"

Hardy: "Health and safety have closed the crow's nest. No harness. They also said the rope ladder doesn't meet regulations. They won't let anyone up there until proper scaffolding can be erected.

Nelson: "Then get me the ship's carpenter without delay, Hardy."
Hardy: "He's busy knocking up a wheelchair access to the fo'c'sle Admiral."

Nelson: "Wheelchair access? I've never heard of anything so absurd."

Hardy: “Health and safety again, sir. We have to provide a barrier-free environment for the differently abled."

Nelson "Differently abled? I've only one arm and one eye and I refuse even to hear mention of the word. I didn't rise to the rank of admiral by playing the disability card."

Hardy: "Actually, sir, you did. The Royal Navy is under-represented in the areas on visual impairment and limb deficiency."

Nelson: "Whatever next? Give me full sail. The salt spray beckons."

Hardy: "A couple of problems there too, sir. Health and safety won't let the crew up the rigging without hard hats. And they don't want anyone breathing in too much salt - haven't you seen the adverts?"

Nelson: I've never heard such infamy. Break out the cannon and tell the men to stand by to engage the enemy."

Hardy: "The men are a bit worried about shooting at anyone, Admiral."

Nelson: "What? This is mutiny."

Hardy: "It's not that, sir. It's just that they're afraid of being charged with murder if they actually kill anyone. There are a couple of legal aid lawyers on board, watching everyone like hawks."

Nelson: "Then how are we supposed to sink the Frenchies and the Spanish?"

Hardy: "Actually, sir, we're not."

Nelson: "We're not?"

Hardy: "No sir. The Frenchies and the Spanish are our European partners now. According to the Common Fisheries Policy, we shouldn't even be in this stretch of water. We could get hit with a claim for compensation."

Nelson: "But you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil."
Hardy: "I wouldn't let the ship's diversity co-ordinator hear you saying that sir. You'll be up on a disciplinary."

Nelson: "You must consider every man an enemy who speaks ill of your King."

Hardy: "Not any more sir. We must be inclusive in the multicultural age. Now put on your Kevlar vest; it's the rules. It could save your life."

Nelson: "Don't tell me - health and safety. Whatever happened to rum, sodomy and the lash?"

Hardy: "As I explained, sir, rum is off the menu! And there's a ban on corporal punishment."

Nelson: "And what about Sodomy?"

Hardy: "I believe that is now legal, sir."

Nelson: "In that case.........Kiss me Hardy".

reynoldsno1
9th Nov 2005, 00:14
The Christmas lights in downtown Bangkok are always very good...

chiglet
9th Nov 2005, 00:24
Flypuppy,
I "Live" in Gtr Manchester. The Region is called "Tameside". I have spoken to them verbally, [telephone] email, personally. [Local Assembly] and one of my "local" MPs.
What did I get? Besides "Waffle"......a "pat on the head" and "We know better" :mad:
Suggestions please....
watp,iktch

spitfires rule
9th Nov 2005, 00:25
We always have to do things for them we aways make the exceptions for them but woud they do the same if you went to their country? I doubt it. For example what if you went into Iran as a women in a T-shirt the people would most likely attack her!! Why do we always have to be the nice ones?? They certainly would notbe nice. When you go to their country you have to obey the laws and nobody cares if your offended!

Spitfires Rule

Blacksheep
9th Nov 2005, 01:10
sign saying "happy dillwalli" (not sure of spelling). I drove on wondering about the meaning of the sign. In the middle of town was another huge sign wishing us all a "happy eade" (again not sure of spelling) I didnt see a sign saying happy christmas 'Deepavali' and 'Eid al Fitri' were in November last year, as they were also this year. A few weeks early for 'Merry Christmas' I reckon.

woud they do the same if you went to their country?In many cases, yes!
Women in skimpy clothes are frowned upon here, as are men going out and about in shorts that expose the knees (both of which were also true of England until very recently) and public consumption of alcoholic refreshments is not permitted. Apart from those minor irritations, the locals are very tolerant and friendly. Xmas decorations abound throughout the Xmas season and the shops play Xmas music on the PA. Same for Chinese New Year (different decorations & music, obviously) Over in neighbouring Malaysia, people of every race and religious persuasion actively participate in all of the common religious festivals with great enthusiasm.

West Coast
9th Nov 2005, 07:18
All this hubbub over Christmas lights, heaven forbid you should try and run up the Union Jack.

Saintsman
9th Nov 2005, 08:10
Eventually they all come up for re-election and if they get back in, it means you're in a minority and must keep your mouth shut. If they don't get re-elected then you'll have won.

If you become a minority, they will put up the Christmas lights in case they offend you!

BombayDuck
9th Nov 2005, 08:13
The decorations out here are quite nice especially in the Bandra region (where's Jordan) which is mainly populated by the Catholic community....

....only christmas "songs" done by Mariah Carey / Boney M et al get on my nerves by their incessant airplay on radio.... :yuk:

Paterbrat
9th Nov 2005, 12:29
Hmmm must then be in the minority, cannot say that many exceptions to my, or expatriate sensibilities were much in evidence during my 27 odd years in the ME place I was in. Not that I did not enjoy beeing there, I did, wouldn't have been there otherwise.

It did not though close my eyes to the intolerance that existed there, or to the intolerance in many parts of Africa and other parts of the world which I travelled through over and lived for much of my life.

Set an example by all means, live to high standards, be civilized all of them, but don't get stupid.

Sometimes I think stupidity, lack of common sense, and naiivity are being amply demonstrated in many ways here by what sometimes goes on.

1DC
9th Nov 2005, 13:28
All is not lost, our local B & Q is already playing the Christmas carol tape continuously...

African Tech Rep
9th Nov 2005, 13:39
Chiglet
Often a Recorded Delivery letter with a couple of newspaper editors on copy gets a result.
You’ll probably get a “pat on the head” letter back – but it’s worth a try.

Blacksheep
For some stores starting Christmas in November is actually starting late :D

People tend to forget about the places that are “open” and concentrate on the places that are “closed” – another example of the pedantic annoying ones affecting how all are looked at.

airship
9th Nov 2005, 14:34
Fer Christ's sake people, do you all really need multi-coloured lights to remind you of me...(I mean Him)?! :rolleyes:

Jerricho
9th Nov 2005, 14:39
Really airship?

I just looked at your photo in the "photo thread" and you look nothing like a jolly girth challenged fat man in a red suit with a beard :E

airship
9th Nov 2005, 14:44
Ho ho ho! Hmmm! ;)

Paterbrat
9th Nov 2005, 18:21
Knew I made amistake. :uhoh:

reynoldsno1
9th Nov 2005, 19:42
Christmas parade coming here shortly ... which mrsr1 thoroughly enjoys, from a Buddhist perspective...:ok: For us atheists, it's rather quaint....

Blacksheep
10th Nov 2005, 01:04
For some stores starting Christmas in November is actually starting late I know. Heard my first Xmas carol backing an advert on Capital FM two weeks ago. In October that is...

Last year I was on home leave in October and they were putting up the Xmas decorations in the local garden centre. [Don't even ask what I was doing there...! :ugh: ] Father Xmas was in attendance (I believe that from February to September he lives in St. Albans, but don't tell the children)

So, its Happy Deepavali, Eid Mubarrak, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanuka (is it too early?) to all Jet Blasters. :ok:

Rollingthunder
10th Nov 2005, 01:43
**** 'em.

Everyone go the extra length and decorate your houses and shops - to hell with the council. Do it yourself.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th Nov 2005, 05:45
Oh, what the hell!

Happy Easter for next year.:ok: