PDA

View Full Version : So I have Gas...Lots of it.

Ontariotech
7th Nov 2005, 20:43
I have had the burps and the toots for 3 days now, so much so, that I have barely eaten. And have not gotten much sleep.
So, this I felt prompted a trip down to my local Emerg. at the Hospital.

5 hours later, a few C/C's of blood short and bit of egg on my face, I walk out of the hospital, the proud owner of a strong dose of Stress. Whah????

What did I miss? Me, stressed? You must be joking man?

Thats all it was. My constant farting, burping and otherwise bloated self, has had the ability to inflate one of Sir Richard Bransons Balloons over the last 3 days. All because I work shift work, chasing kids in stolen cars, breaking up bar fights and trying to talk a jumpers of the roof of the City Hotel here in My home town of Bellevagas Ontario.

Now I sit in the office, checking PPrune on company time, filling traffic tickets for the traffic unit.

Anybody else get bad gas? Any home cures out there??. The Doctor has me on Zantac. But I prefer the home cure approach.

Rainboe
7th Nov 2005, 20:58
I thought I was bad, being the product of a British boarding school where one's gas producing abilities were a thing of great admiration, but I can safely say I have never seen anything like it until I married my second wife. She leaves me in total wonderment.
I don't think Zantac is for wind- it's for indigestion (and very good at it too). We have something here called gripe water you feed to babies that gets them to honk the contents of their stomachs explosively down your back. If you try some of the gas pills you can get in drugstores, they may help (but they did nothing for Mrs. Rainboe Mk II).

tony draper
7th Nov 2005, 21:08
Gripe water used to be about 80% proof, little wonder sprogs fell promptly to sleep after inbibing a large spoonfull.
Sounds like a excess of vegetation in your diet,decaying or digesting vegetable matter produces vast quatities of methane, eat nothing but steak/burgers/sausages ect for three weeks no vegatables.
:rolleyes:

Farrell
7th Nov 2005, 21:41
Try cutting bread out of your diet for a while if you eat a lot of it.
Donuts, pastries and other flour-based products too.

frostbite
7th Nov 2005, 21:44
Sounds like you're on a one-man mission to destroy the ozone layer!

Tuba Mirum
7th Nov 2005, 23:21
Peppermint is good - either peppermint tea for mild cases, or tablets (e.g. Colpermin) if it's more of a problem.

Relaxes the bits that other... stuff... doesn't reach. :uhoh:

Grainger
7th Nov 2005, 23:26
I've had the same thing - caused almost exclusively by stress.

Naturally, getting rid of the stress is the best solution but of course that's easier said than done.

Failing that: apples. Seriously.

I used to drink a lot of orange juice which is healthy but very acidic. I've switched to apple juice (the cloudy pressed type - not the clear stuff) and also fresh apples. You may need to experiment with the type of apples (the red and green ones are better than Golden Delicious :yuk: for example), but it does help and I'm no longer chomping antacids and Zantacs.

Oh - and cut down on the Prawn Vindaloos ! ;)

tart1
7th Nov 2005, 23:30
Apples are marvellous for helping with all sorts of digestive problems. I agree that red ones or red/green ones are better. :D

Onan the Clumsy
8th Nov 2005, 00:08
Apples are marvellous for helping with all sorts of digestive problems. but be prepared for a certain amount of pain during the insertion process :}

:{

shiftkeying
8th Nov 2005, 00:26
Anybody else get bad gas?

I'm lucky, I only get the good gas. Lots of it too!

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2005, 00:28
>I'm lucky, I only get the good gas. Lots of it too!

Is it classical gas - or just pop pop pop?

BombayDuck
8th Nov 2005, 03:41
There's a tablet you get here called "Distenil" - it is part activated charcoal, which helps adsorb (i spelt that right, didnt I?) the gas. Ask your doc though.

BUMPFF
8th Nov 2005, 04:36
The First Mate's name was Carter.
By Jove, he was a [email protected]!
When the wind was low
And the ship wouldn't go,
Carter's [email protected] would start 'er.

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2005, 04:46
Apples are marvellous for helping with all sorts of digestive problemsHuh! Tell that to the horses...

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Nov 2005, 06:04
Have you tried lighting them? Hours and hours of harmless fun as you giggle quietly to yourself.

Great fun and wonderful therapy...:E :ok:

acbus1
8th Nov 2005, 09:35
Hmm.....is flaming allowed on this forum?

patdavies
8th Nov 2005, 11:44
As this is an aviation related board.....

Try flying long haul. The decreased atmospheric pressure in the cabin should help release all that pent up gas.;)

But be ready to be the first person voted off

Spinflight
8th Nov 2005, 13:08
Drink plenty of Guiness. It won't solve the problem but you'll have a smile on your face for weeks after your wife cleans the bog.

frostbite
8th Nov 2005, 15:57
You might find that Omeprazole will cure your problems - if your Doctor agrees, that is!

(esp. if there is also an excess acid element)

I am Birddog
8th Nov 2005, 16:42
My wife has this cute little word she uses to give me a heads up she passed wind.

"honey...I 'fithered'"

When I pass gas and want to return the courtesy of the heads up...

"Sorry babe...I fithered as well"

her reply....."...you don't fither...you $hit in your pants!!"

:hmm:

OntarioTech, with all that gas gives new meaning to the expression 'Tap that a$$'

UL730
8th Nov 2005, 17:25
One has kept a few sheep in the past and the most common cause of stomach cecal dilation or bloat is overeating on certain feeds.

Mr Ontariotech You have not been overfeeding on wheat, barley and rye? Stress is maybe an overly simplistic diagnosis.

I discovered that decompression of the stomach in sheep could be effective using a nasal gastric tube. Alternatively - the cecum and large intestine can be relieved of gas, or decompressed by the use of a horse trochar. If you do not have one of these to hand in your kitchen utensils - a 6 16-gauge hollow needle plunged into the abdomen provides instantaneous relief.

:\

G-CPTN
8th Nov 2005, 17:27
Can't you tap that gas and run your car on it? THAT'D be cool.