PDA

View Full Version : Boatpix

MK10
7th Nov 2005, 18:04
going to states on holiday early next year, fancy some cheap
R22 time,boatpix are certainly cheap! anybody been??
mk10

alouette
7th Nov 2005, 19:14
That would be me in this case. Been to Jacksonville, FL, earlier this year, and have to say Boatpix was a very positive experience. Just make sure you book your block of hours in time in order not to run in conflict with other customers.:ok:

TheFlyingSquirrel
7th Nov 2005, 23:02
and don't forget the Rhode Island location - this is the less busiest so I understand, and pretty easy to book in during season - this way you've got NY on your door step and those long island beaches just a ferry ride away....just make sure you're not a fat git like me and can actually get in the Robbo ! ( Seat weight limit 240lbs ):cool: ( unsure if you'll need your SFAR73 - you may need to check with Tom McD )

Flingwing207
8th Nov 2005, 14:54
You'll need to receive and log the "awareness training" before you can put your hands on the controls - this is merely a ground briefing on things like energy management and low-RPM rotor stall.

To act as PIC, you need 10 hours of training and an endorsement. However, if you are a rated helicopter pilot, you can log PIC for all the time you fly the helicopter (the SFAR is an endorsement, not a rating).

walesuk
8th Nov 2005, 20:54
Haven't been, but definitely check the location availability before you go. If Florida there probably won't be any problem. I looked at the Maryland location last winter and they told me they only take people on during the spring/summer months as it was a bit slow in the winter time.

MK10
9th Nov 2005, 17:24
thanks for the feedback guys, glad most of it seems positive!
FLY,SQUIRREL thanks for the R.ISLAND pointer, didn,t know
they had a base there to. Already speaking to Tom mcd,
just wanted some feedback from fellow jockeys.
mk10

choppertop
25th Jul 2008, 22:20
Any rated pilots here had their PIC time-building hours with Boatpix disallowed by the UK CAA? Or, more helpfully, anyone able to say theirs were definitely accepted? [I know the rules; I just want precedents!]

stxheliguy
20th Feb 2014, 20:16
Hey guys, Im pretty new here so if this info has been covered elsewhere please let me know where to find it but I am on the verge of dropping the $22.5K to get started with boatpix and wanted to know your opinion about Mr. McDermott's operation.
So far I've heard more good than bad.
Got any tips?

Thanks in advance for your help

choppertop
21st Feb 2014, 00:25
He's the real deal. Super-direct but honest and delivers the goods. That was my experience in 2008. Many since then have reported same.

Oh, and to answer my own question of six years ago earlier in this thread, the PIC hours were allowed :) Always get it in writing though... lol.

rick1128
21st Feb 2014, 16:05
I talked with Tom a few times over the years. The last time we talked his price was fuel not included. While the price sounds like a good deal, keep in mind that the 22 burns around 8 gallons an hour and with fuel prices running between 5 and 7 dollars a gallon it adds another 40 to 56 dollars to the price. If you look around you can find operators offering prices of 200 to 250 an hour wet. In fact I ran across one operator offering a 44 for 200/hr dry just the other day.

jymil
21st Feb 2014, 18:07
Didn't make a good impression on me as well. Last time the CFI didn't mind flying with both tanks topped off resulting in a TOW well above 1400lbs :ugh:
Wouldn't surprise me if this guy managed to kill himself in the meantime.