PDA

View Full Version : New Hardware oddity

MadsDad
7th Nov 2005, 15:49
Odd thing happened this morning. When I switched the 'puter on I got a 'you have installed new hardware' flag, which then went off on an Internet search for the relevant drivers (which it didn't find).

Since I hadn't installed anything since I switched off the previous night I thought this was a little odd. (Normal power off, no problems).

I've had a look round various places but can't find anything that seems similar but has anyone heard about anything that would cause this? (wondering about new viruses etc. which I might have come down with)

BOAC
7th Nov 2005, 16:48
Not much help, but just to cheer you up:eek:

Win XP SP2
The same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago, and it kindly informed me 'I had a new hard drive' and then 'it was ready to use' - problem is I didn't and my FAT was trashed on the boot drive and the rest is history.

Never did get to the borttom of it, but I now have a new drive (and Mobi and processor) and so far........................

MadsDad
8th Nov 2005, 11:30
Thanks, BOAC.

The problem hasn't repeated and everything seems to be working ok - and no sign of any new devices. The message was just 'new hardware' - didn't specify a device and it didn't find a driver - I killed it before it could look too hard. Fingers crossed.

(And don't mention 'trashing FAT' tro MadsMum or she'll have me on another diet. :uhoh: ).

BOAC
8th Nov 2005, 12:05
Lucky you! (Computer, not diet!!) Best not mention 'cluster size', then...............:D

Mac the Knife
8th Nov 2005, 12:29
XP is occasionally prone to incomprehensible glitches like this - the best thing to do is to document them as much as you can and do nothing. Most of the time they go away after a few days.

Just do a full virus scan with an updated definitions file, a run of Adaware or Spybot and a a quick look for a rootkit http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html
If nothing surfaces, just wait before embarking on your goose-chase.

I've seen more corrupted installations from chasing these inexplicable Windows brainstorms than anything else.

Modern OSes are so Byzantine in their complexity that no-one really understands them - actually, they're almost organic, so wierd things do happen at times.