PDA

View Full Version : Usual Requirement of a US/Australian airline

vinayak
6th Nov 2005, 22:28
Hi,
I donno if I am posting this in the wrong part of the forums. Well, I am training to be a pilot and I know how as to acquire a Indian CPL, I want to know what are the requirements (usual ones) that major airlines like Quantas, AA, BA require?

Do they require to have a lisence from their own country? You know stuff like those?

Thanking you in advance.

-Vinayak...

scroggs
8th Nov 2005, 10:00
All companies from the developed world, who work in an established and mature labour market, require you to have the right to live and work in their home country. That usually (but not always) means you need to have a passport from that country. You can't just walk into one of these countries and ask for a job.

This is in contrast with places like India, or the Middle Eastern countries, where the economies are expanding faster than the local labour market can support, so the indigenous airline industries need to attract pilots from other countries.

In your case, the Indian airline industry is expanding very rapidly. The government has imposed a minimum 6 month notice period for pilots wishing to leave a company, and has raised the retirement age to 61 to try and avoid a critical pilot shortage. The future for aviation in India is bright. Why leave?

Scroggs

redsnail
8th Nov 2005, 22:00
Qantas requires you to have the right of abode in Australia.
You're also required to hold an Australian CPL with IR and the ATPL subjects completed and 500 hours in command as a minimum for direct entry.

The reality is usually much higher unles you're a cadet.

Qantas (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilotsDirectCriteria) Direct entry details. Their cadet scheme is on another page.

vinayak
11th Nov 2005, 16:49
thank you for replying.

Why leave? Well don't have the first hand experience of any indian airline as yet but, just thought of knowing more.

And I have a sinking feeling about the governments "plans" to develop the infrastructure wont happen as soon as expected.

(All airports in India are controled by the government.)

So, just wanted to know about things from now.........

Thanks,
Vinayak Sharma.

Piltdown Man
12th Nov 2005, 21:35
I thought the minimum requirement to work for an Australian airline (or any other outfit there) was to be able to walk on water (and ATPL, previous experience, about 10,000 hours, aged 20 or less etc.). If you want to work abroad, look for the place with MOST expensive licence and go there - you will have less competition and maybe more luck with a working visa.

Atreyu
13th Nov 2005, 00:10
I would recommend Oxford, nice and expensive ;)

AT

MAX
13th Nov 2005, 08:42
I thought the minimum requirement to work for an Australian airline (or any other outfit there) was to be able to walk on water (and ATPL, previous experience, about 10,000 hours, aged 20 or less etc.).

HAHA! A rookie like that wouldnt get a look in.;)

MAX:cool:

Sal-e
13th Nov 2005, 11:21
You're absolutely right with that one.....In Australia are the worst paid GA jobs that consistently pressure you indirectly to get jobs done at all cost without the cost...and you need to kiss some serious booty before that to get the job....along with your ATPL with the works, space shuttle type rating, PHds and everything else.