PDA

View Full Version : cultural do's and dont's

skyboy1919
6th Nov 2005, 05:39
Hi everyone

Iam currently writing a paper for uni and was wondering if anyone had some cultural do's and dont's. Or mistakes people have mad or heard of.

I am talking about common mistakes people make around the world. Soles of feet in public and so on.

Thanksin advance for all your feedback
:O

koru_kid
6th Nov 2005, 07:27
On Japanese flights we try and hand the meal tray with both hands, and avoid using our feet to lower the footrest or move passenger bags under the seat.

We also fill the glasses 3/4 full only, rather than completely full.

OZcabincrew
6th Nov 2005, 08:00
Chinese pax, no pointing at people as it's rude (use your whole hand rather than a finger), also address the oldest person first (if travelling as part of a group).

Silence is golden with the Japanese and as a lot of western people are, being all touchy as you talk to people isn't really the thing to do either. Hand men their tray first with both hands and then they decide as to if they'll have it or pass it to their wife.

Also making sure the toilets are well stocked and clean as the Japanese find it very embarrassing to have to ask for more toilet paper etc. Also you can never say sorry enough, even if it doesn't really deserve it. They hate being singled out aswell infront of everyone.

Oz

apaddyinuk
6th Nov 2005, 11:33
Oz.....thanks for that, It seems like years since I did my last cultural awareness training and I cant remember half of it, and now I have my first NRT coming up!!!

sukigirl
6th Nov 2005, 11:56
Othodox jewish people dont like to be touched by a woman because it is against there custom to come into contact with a woman whilst she is on her period. I have heard of incidences of pax asking a crew member if she is on her period! Though i think most have the decency to be more discreet. At check in they will often ask to be seated next to a woman, Though this sometimes doesnt happen and i have had to sort this out on board before.

They also need time and space to pray on the aircraft and must not be touched by anyone whilst doing so or they have to start again. Dont quote me on that last comment im not 100% if thats true but the woman rule is definately true

Sorry dont know how to edit but i meant to say in that first paragraph that they will ask at checkin NOT to be seated by a woman.

flyblue
6th Nov 2005, 14:11
We usually do not allow threads for papers and studies, but we can make an exception since it is a topic of interest to all.

BoeingMEL
6th Nov 2005, 14:12
skyboy..... writing a paper at university but you can't grasp basic grammar... try dos and don'ts.....ok?

ETOPS
6th Nov 2005, 15:00
BoeingMEL

Please don't be too hard on skyboy1919, he's the product of an education system that has become fatally flawed. For many years, teachers have downgraded the importance of spelling and grammar to the extent that "txt spk" is acceptable to some.

Although I shudder at some of the basic errors made here, I realise there is nothing I can do but try to lead by example. I know, for instance, how to spell "professional' (even though it appears at the top of the screen!) and that "Britannia" is a lady with a Shield and spear. I was taught how to spell with no hint of "deferred success" - get it right or be beaten to death :ouch:

In the push to achieve 50% entry to higher education, British Universities are being forced to accept students who, in the past, would never have made it through the first interview.

<<Hi everyone

Iam currently writing a paper for uni and was wondering if anyone had some cultural do's and dont's. Or mistakes people have mad or heard of.

I am talking about common mistakes people make around the world. Soles of feet in public and so on.

Thanksin advance for all your feedback>>

This is the result...............

Farmer 1
6th Nov 2005, 15:08
I hate being pedantic, but - Britannia has a trident.

ETOPS
6th Nov 2005, 15:52
Farmer 1

Yes I know, but being an ex-shuttle driver (BAC Super 1-11 Div.) I can't use the "T" word ;)

HZ123
7th Nov 2005, 07:48
How does your project relate or interact with Diversity & Equality as I feel that we in the UK are trained to accept E & D yet at the same time trying to accept and comply with everyone elses.

EurofleetLHR
7th Nov 2005, 08:13
A couple of gestures that can lead to problems...

Holding your hand up with the palm facing the person can be extremely offensive to some Greek people (very easy to forget that one when explaining to a non-English speaker when your are trying to tell them their flight leaves from gate 5 !).

Joining the thumb and the index finger in a circular fashion - most western cultures will accept this gesture as meaning "OK", the Japanese can perceive it as meaning "expensive", some Arab cultures think it means "I will kill you", and us Brits can use it as an offensive gesture .... be careful how you use it !!!!!!!

skyboy1919
7th Nov 2005, 18:26
Dear all

I was sure my post was asking a question about cultural awareness, and not my punctuation. Thanks for making me feel good about going out and getting an education guys. Wow some people love to feel a llittle superior. I am getting an education, and doing it in a way that works for me. Sorry you idea of a University student is not that of the Universities anymore; however, that is not my fault.

I am currently a composition one student, and am learning the importance of grammer and punctuation; however, I am returning to school after ten years for the first time this year, so its a slow process. Plus trying to study and fly full time is not easy.

Thank you for your posts so far, they are helpful and would be greatful of more. Leave the English to my teacher, his comments give me enough to think about as is it.

Eboy
11th Nov 2005, 08:26
Fair enough.

"Holding your hand up with the palm facing the person can be extremely offensive to some Greek"

Pacific Rim Asians also -- Japan, China at least. If you want to wave at someone, raise your hand with your palm facing you and pull your hand toward you as if suggesting "come here".

Also in Japan, when in doubt, smile! (Seriously)

I think many people in other countries do not expect foreigners to act like them. But, they are charmed if you try. Especially if you learn a few basic greetings in their language.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Nov 2005, 08:37
skyboy - I doubt that anyone meant to offend but to us oldies it is blindingly obvious that youngsters are not being taught as we were. If you watch the various email groups you will see appalling lack of punctuation ans spelling mistakes... and how many people never use a capital letter at the start of a sentence? It's just the way things are going - down the drain! Nobody is blaming you; they're simply expressing concern that nowadays many mature people cannot write or express themselves as well at 5 year-olds when we were kids..

Good luck with your project.

ETOPS
11th Nov 2005, 09:42
skyboy1919

Dear all

I was sure my post was asking a question about cultural awareness, and not my punctuation. Thanks for making me feel good about going out and getting an education guys. Wow some people love to feel a llittle superior. I am getting an education, and doing it in a way that works for me. Sorry you idea of a University student is not that of the Universities anymore; however, that is not my fault.

I am currently a composition one student, and am learning the importance of grammer and punctuation; however, I am returning to school after ten years for the first time this year, so its a slow process. Plus trying to study and fly full time is not easy.

Thank you for your posts so far, they are helpful and would be greatful of more. Leave the English to my teacher, his comments give me enough to think about as is it.

Much better - well done!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Thanks for your comments. As ever, this BB medium can be a blessing or a curse. On the one hand, it's modern up-to-the-minute style can lead to the free flow of ideas and real communication. But, on the other, it's very speed tends to encourage some to drop into txt spk an y'know like stuff innit :hmm:

As a fully paid up member of the GOM club, I simply can't help pointing out some of the usual howlers ( pace BOAC ) but refuse to hold back - it makes me feel better.....

blueloo
11th Nov 2005, 12:29
Oh and dont tell the Japanese that Japan is in Asia. They dont like it, and dont agree!

:}

Dave Gittins
11th Nov 2005, 13:00
Where do they think it is ??? There are not that many continents betwn Asia and the US to choose from.

Actually - come to think of it - what continent are the Pacific islands and Hawaii in ???

HD and Others.

At my advanced age, having passed my English 'O'Level 35 years ago, there is nothing wrong with either my grammar or spelling but my fingers are dyslexic and I am blind to my own typing errors. Without a spelling checker I tend to be terrible.

Gargleblaster
11th Nov 2005, 13:07
Oh and dont tell the Japanese that Japan is in Asia. They dont like it, and dont agree!

Just like the UK isn't part of Europe ?

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

(I'm always confused when someone says "Europe" here. Is it a Brit referring to mainland Europe, or is it an American referring to Europe geographically (i.e. including the UK) ?)

strafer
11th Nov 2005, 14:12
I'm always confused when someone says "Europe" here
It's quite simple. Europe is 'over there'.

BTW, respecting cultural diversity often seems to be a one way street. I for one don't get offended if a foreigner sticks two fingers up in the opposite way to a Churchillian salute. I simply assume they don't know what it means in Britain. So, should, for example, a Greek person not be offended if one makes a circle with thumb & forefinger?