PDA

View Full Version : Bush Pilot

Pace152
5th Nov 2005, 21:15
Hi everybody,

I'm currently in Florida just finishing of getting my FAA Commercial. I have my FAA Instrument Rating, will soon have my FAA Commercial, and have my JAA Multi Engine. In total I have around 270 hours.

Could anybody tell me if this would be enough to get a job as a Bush Pilot? and if so how I could go about finding work?

I'd really appreciate any help!!

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 21:33
i think it would be best to come out here to SA and instruct a little first,thats how you get the connections that will then get you into the bush pilot arena.(Not my idea of fun though,bush piloting!)

Good luck mate.

Pace152
6th Nov 2005, 17:42
Thanks for the help, its much appreciated!!

Do you know if you can instruct on South Africa on a FAA CFI? Also do you know any companies I could get in touch with?

Great Callsign by the way :cool:

austra1998
6th Nov 2005, 23:33
i would ectually instruct in florida...get up to 1000 hours...and then ...direct to Tanzania....or west africa...

if you come to africa with 270 hours....i see it difficolt to get a job ..not to mention that sometime...bush flying can be quite difficolt...
on the other side....you can try your luck...you just need lots of patience and skill...which is something that you could build in florida...to me sound a bit better like this.

all the best

alex

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Nov 2005, 02:53
You need SA certification to instruct on SA registered aircraft.

There's always Maun...:ok:

PropStrap
7th Nov 2005, 06:40
Nice to hear that you want come to Africa and fly. But with two hundred some hours you may want to stay in sunny Florida and fly Banners. At some strips there you can get a job flying and learn skills that you can use here. Get at least a thousand hours and try hitting up the companies. but keep looking and good luck.

organ donor
7th Nov 2005, 07:07
Pace152,
Unfortunately SA does not recognise foreign Instructor ratings anymore. In order to instruct you would have to do the SA comm and Instructor rating.
As austra998 said, the best way is to build 1000 hours or so there and then try your luck in Africa.
Best of luck

Tango24
7th Nov 2005, 11:06
Pace152

Try your luck in Botswana, Namibia and Zambia. Most of the companies take on low time pilots. However, just sending the CV won't be enough. You will need to show your face as well. This could end up being an expensive exercise, with no outcome, so just be aware of that!

Botswana will accept your license, I'm not entirely familiar with Namibia and Zambia, but don't think you would have a problem with them.

Best of luck! :ok:

european champion
7th Nov 2005, 12:38
If u are southafrican or australian or new zealander u have big chance in southafrica or botswana,or if u are anglosaxon in general there is a chance,if not then i would suggest try to look for work in west or east africa,there is always companies who look for work,your hours could be a bit low but it all depends who u know.there is one advantage in west africa,there is less piston aircrafts and u have a chance to go direct to a turbine,in south africa or botswana u would have to get sick of a 206 or a 182 before u even touch anything bigger.

Pace152
8th Nov 2005, 21:08
Thank Y'all for your help, its much appreciated!!

I wish I could work in Florida, however since I'm a UK citizen I can't work without a visa and of course most of the companies employing pilots would rather just employ an American and not have to deal with the hassel of employing an 'outsider'.

Looks like I'll have to try looking at Botswana or that Maun place :O

SAT_BOSS
11th Nov 2005, 04:39
Yup hit East Africa Tanzania .... but the wise one is to get a thousand hours .... also concetrate on C206 and C208. Go slightly more Turbine than Piston if you can .... Avgas getting scarcer out here

Good Luck mate als a US outfit that fleis a lot in Africa and you can get the website at www.airserv.org the pay is fair and they will pay for your transition.

vaninnam
13th Nov 2005, 04:38
In Namibia more than 50% of the active bush pilots are foreigners and they all started with low hours.
you should do a C210 rating before as it will help this is Cessna country
They accept your FAA com and might even accept your instructors
greetings send me a mail

Hop-a-long
13th Nov 2005, 05:52
How is the issue regarding workpermits dealt with? Is it not a requirement?

Basically a working holiday or what?

Cheers

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Nov 2005, 06:49
WP usually arranged by employer in Bots. Nam info from those who operate there?:ok: