PDA

View Full Version : My cat likes fireworks

tart1
5th Nov 2005, 18:02
I know that generally speaking animals do not like fireworks - the noise and the bright flashes frighten them.

We tried to keep our cat (imaginatively named Tigger) in for the first couple of years (he's 8 now). He used to go berserk, scratching at the door and crying to be let out.

We have had to come to the conclusion that, not only is he not frightened of fireworks, but he actually likes them.

He's sitting outside now, calmly watching our neighbour's very loud, and no doubt very expensive, display.

Whenever he hears the bangs of fireworks going off, he rushes outside or, if it's raining, jumps onto the windowsill and sits watching. He appears totally unfazed by the whole thing.

Is he unique, do you think? Cool cat?? :cool: :cool:

Whirlygig
5th Nov 2005, 18:37
Maybe not unique but certainly very cool :cool: and it's way better than having a scaredy-cat with a slack bowel problem :ugh:

I had two cats (ex got custody so they're still alive!) that loved the film "Gothic" by Ken Russell. Personally, I think it's a load of bilge but then I'd like to think I'm slightly more discerning than a couple of moggies! I thought it was a "one-off" when they sat glued to the television watching it so next time it was on, I recorded it and played it to them every bonfire night. Each time, they couldn't take their eyes off the TV and forgot about the bangs outside. Mind you tart1, they did come from Arlesey (in-joke for Bedfordians!)

Cheers

Whirls

Loki
5th Nov 2005, 19:44
I had one cat who loved to watch "One man and his dog"

Another was very fond of jazz; Miles Davis and Ella Fitzgerald would always bring him in to the room.

IB4138
5th Nov 2005, 20:02
The cat next door is going to "like" fireworks later....it's killed another of me plants today!

Cat trap in place in garden...50 rocket awaiting its feline passenger in the morning!:E

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2005, 20:13
Having lived and worked in Bedfordshire during 17 years, I fully understand:-
>they did come from Arlesey (in-joke for Bedfordians!)
:ok:

arcniz
5th Nov 2005, 20:21
hey IB4138:

Better you save your expensive rockets for deterrent to rioting North Africans or Midlanders. Besides, you might set your shed on fire by accident.

Here is a certain and family-rated solution to the problem of feline raiders:

Step 1: Pee in a cup...the larger, the better. Guiness can help the cause.

Step 2: Pour the resulting cat-repellent around the stones and walks and the bases of the plants you wish to protect.

Step 3: Repeat as may be appropriate.

This works because it communicates to the animals in language they clearly understand.

p.s. Also reportedly works for BIG cats, if you happen to be in lion country. In this case, having a 'plan B' is advisable, just in case the animal of the moment does not know the rules.

IB4138
5th Nov 2005, 20:28
arcniz

My wife says that I can't pee as high as the top of the wall!...and she refuses to have any of her containers contaminated.;)

Does Beamish work as well as Guinness?

Capn Notarious
5th Nov 2005, 20:45

Well I have no analytical knowledge, however you should audit both beverages, to determine the end product, most suitable.

IB4138
5th Nov 2005, 20:49
Right Capn. N

Let auditing begin!

Are you assisting?:uhoh:

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2005, 20:54
ASSISTING? He's insisting and persisting (and so will you be after all that stout).
Remember, you don't buy beer, you merely rent it . . .

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 21:36
So your pussy enjoys a bit of a bang and sparkle then?:p

Whirlygig
5th Nov 2005, 22:02
One of my cats was called Beamish but he was a Reading Market stray, NOT from Arlesey!

Therefore, I'm sure Beamish would have a better effect than Guiness!

Cheers

Whirls

arcniz
6th Nov 2005, 06:49
IB4138
Suggest you follow this (modified) procedure:

1. Ingest Guiness as appropriate. Beamish (not the cat) is non-standard, so far as this procedure is concerned. May require sign-off approval from significant other.

2. Climb onto wall.

3. While standing, kneeling, or sitting, conduct 'ab initio' marking fluid distribution procedure, per above, except as modified to eliminate need for intermediate container.

Marvin the Robot
6th Nov 2005, 08:59
Peeing?

Don't talk to me about peeing. :(

Pee in a cup......

.......p.s. Also reportedly works for BIG cats, if you happen to be in lion country. In this case, having a 'plan B' is advisable......

Plan B to "Pee in a cup"?

Like what?

[email protected] in yer pants, presumably. :}

Gordon Fraser
6th Nov 2005, 12:04
We used to own a 'pub' dog named Becky - always covered with fag ash and crisp crumbs. She adored fireworks and used to sit beside us watching the rockets and roman candles intently

She didn't like hot air balloons, though. We were once overflown by three from a flyin, at two minute intervals. She considered it an invasion of her airspace and chased them in turn to the end of the parking lot - returning to us proudly after 'seeing off' each one.

It worked - we were never overflown by a balloon again!!

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2005, 12:21
In the 70s we lived near Bedford, when Goodyear built their first airship at Cardington. Trials were held locally and we became used to the sound of the engine as the blimp chugged over, quite low.
Our dog at the time used to 'see it off' though, however he was SO busy looking up whilst barking and running he ran straight into the chain-link fence at least once that we saw!

Gordon Fraser
6th Nov 2005, 16:15
Our Becky was only daft - not feckin stupid !!!

Paterbrat
6th Nov 2005, 20:03
When in Lion country, the eating of Asparagus before the peeing and distributing to mark territory helps in really sending the olfactory message and also substitutes for the lack of an anal gland to provide the fixative for the urine.;)

Tigger indeed sounds like a cool cat. :ok:

paulc
7th Nov 2005, 06:59
having seen my parents dogs suffer over this and every other firework night it is not nice. No amount of stroking would stop the trembling / vomiting / panting etc

Both dogs were in distress and very very frightened for most of the weekend resulting in a trip to the vet to get 'knockout' pills for both.

27mm
7th Nov 2005, 10:24
Strange, but true - we have a pair of 3 month old Pekes (known as the Pekey Boys), who didn't bat an eyelid over Guy Fawkes weekend - reckon it's because of their chinese lineage (nearly said chink, but that's not PC, is it?)