PDA

View Full Version : For the old timers.....

collective bias
29th Jan 2001, 15:29
Question for the northern hemisphere mob.
Describe to all of us what a KH4 is...
State country where you flew or saw one.
Cheers

rotormatic
29th Jan 2001, 18:42
For a picture see:

http://www.spice.or.jp/~tk1512a/html/KH-4_e.htm

Kawasaki Bell Type 47G3B-KH-4 helicopter
Total of 203 were produced by 1975 when KH-4 helicopter is the one that Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. converted the Bell Type 47 helicopter that was producing from 1954 into 4 seats, gas turbine helicopter turn up. Because it is doing the there was the thought that wants to make 4 seats from the time when started the production of Bell 47D, the power of the engine insufficient the plan was delayed. The production of Bell 47D gets worse smoothly and the Bell company finished 47G-3B with the margin to power at the opportunity of, remodeling this completely KH-4 finished in 1962.

When the turn of the development design inside Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. is considered name of this helicopter should have made KH-5, be the name was made KH-4 particularly, because it was convenient to be reminded of 4 seats. KH-4 remodeled, cabin and center frame of Bell 47 completely and made 4 seats and also changed the fuel system and extended range. Although KH-4 is not a pure domestic production helicopter this helicopter is developed for the first time in Japan and acquired it form proof.

The experience that is not obtained inevitably in the production under license by the development of KH-4, can be piled up, this case became the bright first step regarding the helicopter design of Japan in all of be able to say. KH-4 finishes in October, 1962 and carry out disclosure flight every place the interior and it was well received over expectation. KH-4 was delivered by Metropolitan Police Department in January, 1963 and was delivered to the Japan Ground Self Defense Force, the Police Agencies, operation business companies, newspaper publishing company etc. since it. And it is the helicopter that took an active part to the liaison aircraft, trainers, crop-dusting helicopters, news coverage helicopters, transmission line patrol, search helicopters, rescue helicopters, advertisement helicopter etc. various usage.

4Rvibes
29th Jan 2001, 19:39
Good answer. End of thread?.....I didn't think so.

Larry
29th Jan 2001, 23:58
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=137624

Heres a recent pic of a operatonal KH4 on floats.

rotorque
30th Jan 2001, 06:32
A bit of usless information but when I first got my licence I did about 1500 hours in KH4's, doing mustering and mineral survey here in Australia. A company called Heli-muster operated about 7 of the things. I have to say that they are one of the best piston utility aircraft around. They are wonderful lifters and great for the tourists. The only problem is that they were obviously built for the nominal Japanese sized pilot so your knees were up under you chin. The other thing is that they only carry 200 litres of fuel and they can burn up to 72 litres per hour (they were all built around the 3B1 with a turbo) so you almost always flew with a couple of jerry's on the stokes litters. They also got a bit of a wiggle as you came through translation back into the hover and have no power assist on the collective.

As you might be able to tell, the KH4 is one of my favourite helicopters and if I was to buy a helicopter (very unlikely) it would be a KH4.

P.S there is probably still about 7 or 8 KH4's in Australia. Over the past 8 years about 5 have been crashed usually through over pitching. It is extremely easy to overload one cos of the amount of room etc available.

Ah the memories - thanks for that.