PDA

View Full Version : Appreciation for Joburg radar 4/5 Nov

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 13:35
nice work on 124.5 today and yesterday! utterly professional despite the storms and congestion.just a word of appreciation.
cheers guys.
Cb:ok:

makeapullup
5th Nov 2005, 16:55
Man what a storm on friday. saw a E135 takeoff at about 1800 straight into storm. lightning, heavy rain and a mean wind. turned immediate right but i think it took them a while to clear the meanie! took a long time to get rid of the backlog.

captain cumulonimbus
5th Nov 2005, 21:30
Yeah,it was a biggie!

Anyway i'm always grateful to be under Joburg Area or radar control...man its a huge contrast between them and our friendly northern neighbours!:cool: (whom i might add,vectored me straight into a Cb on final and,i guarantee,would not have payed for my funeral!)

Shrike200
6th Nov 2005, 03:56
I'd like to add a word of thanks too, these people are pro's.

And yes, the difference as you cross FIR's on the way up is enormous. And when you hear 'Radar identified, cleared....' on the way down - it's always a relief!

flyboy2
6th Nov 2005, 05:13
I too agree that it's indeed a great pleasure to cross into the SA
Airspace after being further afield, to be greeted with those magic words " ZS-ABC you're radar identified, your inbound clearance is .........................!

A very large slice of SA Airspace is now seemingly under radar control & with much better R/T coverage than in the not too distant past.
Flight -folllowing when a flight-plan has been filed is excellent & I'm amazed how efficiently even non-flight-plan VFR traffic is handled.
There have been virtually no comments about this on Pprune ,
so IMHO it's time to say "thank-you" to those who made it possible.
Keep up the good work !
:ok:

SortieIII
6th Nov 2005, 09:16
I was fortunately able to observe that huge storm from the ground!

:ooh:

I agree that Jo' burg ATC does a great job when the WX gets threatening, and I am always thankful for their help.

Keep up the good work!:ok:

bloodisgreen
6th Nov 2005, 15:54
Its allways great too get feedback from the flying community and well appreciated from the app and area ATC 's.Its just a pity that the management does not realise the hard work that gets done! I hope that something will be done too stem the tide of controllers mainly from app that are leaving too go too the UAE before it becomes a bigger problem than what it is at the moment.

Blah Blah Fishpaste
8th Nov 2005, 06:13
ERJ 135 taking off into a storm! Boy those guys are good pilots....yus lyke!:uhoh:

Tip of the hat to ATC's is long over due i think as well, but eish those arrivals!....oooi vei!:yuk:

On a 2 hour flight you can have 100 knot tail wind and still take longer than the return flight into that wind, just by being on the arrival.

I know a system is required but this system needs help!:bored:

Its costing the carriers a fortune....