PDA

View Full Version : Top US beer (inc. Microbrewers)?

yintsinmerite
5th Nov 2005, 12:47
Seeing the thread on Coors beer (two words seldom seen together), and the comment about the thriving micro brewing business, I was wondering what proons think is the top US beer.

For me, the votes go to Shiner Bock (Tejas) and Phat Tyre (Colorado?)

Farrell
5th Nov 2005, 13:20
.....Bud Light.....:p

Spuds McKenzie
5th Nov 2005, 14:12
US beer
Two words even more seldom seen together.

Reminds me of this joke (or is it an urban legend or even a true story?):

Guy is asking for a Bud in a bar somewhere in the Caribbean.

Bartender says:"Sorry, don't have it"

The guy is asking for something which tastes closest to a Bud.

Bartender hands him a glass of water...

:D

Gouabafla
5th Nov 2005, 14:22
Phat Tyre is good and I also really like Black Lab, also from Colorado.

If your knowledge of US beer stops at Bud Lite and Coors, you really need to get out more.

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2005, 14:57
I have NO experience with US beers, but was shocked to hear that, having bought Bass, Coors have renamed the Bass Brewery Heavy Horses 'Coors':-
http://www.bass-museum.com/

Spotting Bad Guys
5th Nov 2005, 15:38
Top microbrewery in Las Vegas - the Gordon Biersch on Paradise....miles better than any of that mass-produced Coors/Bud/miller crap!:ok:

SBG

Rollingthunder
5th Nov 2005, 15:56
Mostly "Rent-A-Beer" comes to mind.

Anchor Steam Beer was rather good though.

Real men eat quiche......

They don't drink light beer.

con-pilot
5th Nov 2005, 16:08
I have been informed that ‘Samuel Adams’ is a beer close to the European style of beers.

(PS, I not only eat quiche, I also make em) :p

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Nov 2005, 18:25
there's no contest

Paris Dakar
5th Nov 2005, 19:41
Must say that I'm not a fan of North American beers........................................but 'Schlitz' served nice and cold, isn't a bad slurp at all.

C130 Techie
5th Nov 2005, 19:45
Top microbrewery in Las Vegas - the Gordon Biersch on Paradise

Have to agree with that one

Best mass produced is MGD

phnuff
5th Nov 2005, 21:18
Another vote for Shiner Bock here !!

barit1
6th Nov 2005, 00:51
Best beer in US comes from Montreal and/or Vancouver -

Lebatt Blue

although some Christian Moerlein varieties are close.

Heatseeker
7th Nov 2005, 08:39
American beer !

Isn't most of that stuff pre-owned.

H :E

MagnusP
7th Nov 2005, 10:00
Fire Rock Pale Ale from the Kona brewery. Mmmmmm. :ok:

paulc
7th Nov 2005, 12:16
Alaska Amber is not bad either

PT6ER
7th Nov 2005, 14:59
Ah, the good old "British Beer Snob" (I should know, I was one once). I do miss the odd pint of Brakspears Ordinary Bitter though, but it doesnt mean I glibly lump all U.S beers into the Coors P#ss water category. Also I seem to remember the continual fight between the carbonated and CAMRA sides of the fence. Could never join CAMRA since a cable knit sweater never was my favorit bit of kit.

Now....back to thread:

Try Black Butte Porter or Mirror Pond from the Deschutes Brewery in Oregon. The Pacific Northwest has some fantastic microbrews.

West Coast
7th Nov 2005, 15:23
Another vote for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

zarniwoop
7th Nov 2005, 15:33
I'll add a vote from Mirror Pond. Rogue brewery also do some excellent beers, in oversized bottles for good measure.

Sammie_nl
7th Nov 2005, 15:47
Two things come to mind....

Best beer: milwaukee best (The Beast) gheghe, what taste :ok:

Ow and off course "Steel Reserve" pretty strong beer, in half liter cans, if you need to get drunk fast

Farmer 1
7th Nov 2005, 16:10
India Pale Ale from a Salt Lake City brewery - sorry, can't remember the name. It was really very nice indeed. Pale ales in general were very good.

Hints for first-timers:

Ask if there is anything on draft (pronounced draught). If there is, then work your way through them, it shouldn't take too long. You might have a pleasant surprise.

If there isn't, have a look at the list on offer. There will be some followed by the word "lite" (pronounced light): Coors, for instance, or Miller, or B*******r. Avoid anything sold by these companies. Any company that sells anything containing the abovementioned unmentionable word is not in the brewing business.

That could well leave you with just Heineken, I'm afraid. It's then up to you. Heineken's not bad, but when I visit places I prefer to sample the local products. But, dash it all, there are limits!

ecnalubma
7th Nov 2005, 16:57
Almost any beer that they import from Canada or Europe.
One thing that really bugs me about US beer is that they don't all recycle their beer cans.
Any of their lite beers you might as well be drinking water and look out for the ensueing headache from all the preservatives.

barit1
11th Nov 2005, 13:47
Then there's Watson Brothers micro, right across the road from Blue Ash airport. The Watsons - aviators from WWI and bitter rivals - founded a pair of airports only 1 km apart. Only one airport survives today (KISZ).

Send Clowns
11th Nov 2005, 14:15
You used to be able to get Watney Red Barrel in the States. Curious as the brewery was near here at one time and I've never come across it int he UK, at least since I have eben old enough for it to matter.

Don't remember any names, but US microbrews can be good, if a little on the cold and gassy side. Can now get some in UK supermarkets. Have tried some good ones (Sierra Nevada springs to mind, though no other details do).

Jerricho
11th Nov 2005, 14:20
if a little on the cold

Chuck it in the microwave for a bit.

phnuff
11th Nov 2005, 15:16
Could never join CAMRA since a cable knit sweater never was my favorit bit of kit.

I used to work with a bloke who was secretary of the local CAMRA branch. He did wear a cable knit jumper and also, used to carry a one and a half pint bottle with a ground glass bottle & stopper. When he went into a non CAMRA pub, he would get his pint, tip it into the bottle, shake it and then tip it back into the glass.

"Gets the gas out!" he would say

"He's not with us !" we would say

Craggenmore
11th Nov 2005, 15:49
Sierra Nevada from Chico, North California

Probably a bit biased though as I spent 2 wonderful Summers there back in the 90's...

downthebay
11th Nov 2005, 17:42
Has the New Belgium brewery fallen into the hands of British hiphoppers?

Fat Tire is one of the things I miss most about Colorado since moving to Beantown. I have seen it on the West coast (Oregon) but not out here.

Among the well known brews I would have to vote for Anchor Steam as my personal favorite, though.