PDA

View Full Version : Ad-hoc Flight Tests and Insurance

Multp
29th Jan 2001, 05:46
I posted a snippett in one of the previous heated debates on the R22/44 about the dangers of unauthorised experiments. I'm concerned to see that some (and I don't want to get into names, thank you) are still advocating doing non-standard manoeuvres in order to prove a point or discover some forgotten corner of the flight envelope. Ask yourself if there is any danger of going outside the approved flight envelope in the process. If in doubt, don't do it! You may not be insured: that's reason enough. Your insurer may decline compensation if you are unfortunate enough to have a mishap merely doing something quite non-standard.
If you have genuine concerns about handling qualities, performance or other design issues, speak to your friendly regulatory body or go via an approved maintenance organisation that has access to professional flight test personnel.
'There are old pilots and bold pilots, but few old bold pilots'. Funny that there are quite a few old test pilots about? Not really: they understand risk management!

[This message has been edited by Multp (edited 29 January 2001).]