PDA

View Full Version : A380 - combined threads

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

corklad
4th Oct 2005, 19:43
panda k bear,

im sure you have a super duper job comparing various airplanes for your comapny, well done mate, your parents must be very proud indeed! good point well made, what-ever! maybe it is you who is confusing infer with perhaps...imply? again whats your point? you didnt understand the point or the sentence? i think your grasping at straws there, let it go. as far as typo's are concerned, well if i mess up the occasional word here or there please feel free to correct it with your french dictionary ...yawn! as for FR v EZ , who really cares, neither one of them are going for the a380. but if you love easy soooo much feel free to believe they are tops! now do you have anything interesting to say on topic (ie a380 relevant) or are you going to keep harping on about spelling mistakes and typos and your great job comparing aircraft for your company.:zzz: let me gues your the best of the best of the best at comparing aircraft in your particular company and therefore you know it all. well done!:ok:

blackwidow
4th Oct 2005, 20:46
A couple of weeks ago the Sunday Times Travel section had a small cutting -

"....the Airbus A380 assembley line will open to public during october. You can watch the largest commercial airliner in history, coming to life at it factory in Toulouse for just £6.50....."

I have since tried to get further information via search engines/airbus website etc. to no avail..

Can anyone help???

Re-Heat
4th Oct 2005, 20:47
embraer is a great company with great planes, even the royal air force uses embraer aircraft (tucano).
Before you make a complete idiot of yourself, note that the Tucano is a Shorts aircraft - built entirely in Belfast, which is significantly different from the Embraer upon which it is based.

I could pick apart all your posts, but quite frankly I cannot be bothered as there is so much nonsense within them, not to mention poor grammar and lack of paragraphs. Unsurprisingly, 'infer' is a word, and you simply appear ignorant with your childish post. The grammar is why nobody understood that phrase of yours at first glance - nobody here cares to lecture people on grammar, but when one cannot understand a post it is a different matter entirely. So in short, no, nobody can read much of what you are writing, so wind your neck in and post in an adult manner.

If you can't stand people's views here, then go away. Your only comments so far that have the slightest bearing on the aircraft's suitability for one airline or another are that you 'wouldnt turn down a shot flying it' (sp), and that a US Airways jet was 'a smooth ride'?

Quite frankly, I am curious as to how you have posted in one of your prior posts in August "i currently have around 2000hrs in the 737-200 and am thinking of coming back to europe for family reasons. i was speaking to a friend of..."; and follow up in September with "just completed my 737-200 type at FTI in denver colorado."...

Why have US passenger carriers not ordered the A380?

1) Extremely low profitability and poor balance sheets, preventing financing
2) Point-to-point services do not support it at densities flown
3) Poor infrastructure in the US for the aircraft at major airfields, such as LAX - one of a few reasons why Virgin is no longer the first to fly the aircraft and chose a later delivery.

It has very little to do with startup loans, which though given by governments to Airbus with lower rates, are indeed repayable. Neither does it have anything to do with politics as US airlines have operated Airbuses from A300 upwards.

MarkD
5th Oct 2005, 01:25
corklad

I'll go through the rest of your diatribe if I can be bothered sometime, but suffice to say the 330K's ability to do BZN-MPA nonstop and the number of standard containers it would bring along and the fact that they wouldn't be relieving BA of some used 763ERs as would have happened in the old days has a lot more to do with it than "politics". Search mil forum (username BEagle) if you want more.

Ask the Australians, who because they won't be messing around with a stupid PFI will be taking delivery of their 330Ks before RAF despite beginning their process after them.

By the way, after re-heat's post I couldn't help myself - do you own a time machine of some sort?

2/Aug/05
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2016902#post2016902
23/Aug/05
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2110723#post2110723

panda-k-bear
5th Oct 2005, 09:07
Right, point by point then, ignoring spelling and grammar because clearly it doesn’t matter to you whether people can understand what you write or not…

“im sure you have a super duper job comparing various airplanes for your comapny,”

Yes, I do. It’s fun. I see the manufacturers at least weekly. Do you think that qualifies me to comment on why airlines buy any particular aircraft? Or do you still believe they are bought because of the way they look? If so, I'll take a dozen DC-3s, please.

“well done mate,”

Very kind of you, thank you.

“your parents must be very proud indeed!”

I’m sure they are.

“good point well made, what-ever!”

Gibberish

“maybe it is you who is confusing infer with perhaps...imply?”

No, I don’t think so.

“again whats your point?”

My point is to know what the sentence that I quoted in my previous post was supposed to infer – what were you trying to suggest? Plastic Airbus? A320 is about 15% composite. 787 will be about 50% composite. Which one is the plastic aeroplane?

“you didnt understand the point or the sentence?”

No, I was emphasising that you are contradicting yourself. You said: “what i said was its a great lower end model to compete against A319 or B737 etc.” I emphasised that that is not what you inferred – you were inferring that the “plastic Airbus” is inferior to the 737s and the Embraers in your previous post.

“i think your grasping at straws there, let it go. as far as typo's are concerned, well if i mess up the occasional word here or there please feel free to correct it”

Thanks, I probably will. I won’t bother for now though – it’d take too long.

“with your french dictionary ...yawn!”

I mentioned that in my opinion the Embraers were a bit of “bricolage”. That’s a French word. You accused me of slandering them. I still suggest that you look up “bricolage” to understand what I was saying and then you will see there’s no slander involved.

“as for FR v EZ , who really cares, neither one of them are going for the a380.”
I couldn’t really care less. YOU were the one who brought up FR and their slaughtering of EZ, not me.

“but if you love easy soooo much feel free to believe they are tops!”
They beat FR hands down in terms of service – and they go to places I want to go to, not somewhere 50 miles away.

“now do you have anything interesting to say on topic (ie a380 relevant)”
I could, but I think I’ll refrain from discussing it with you for the time being. Re-heat makes the main salient points anyway. Your “no airports can handle it” and “runways are too short for it” comments show an astounding lack of knowledge on the subject anyway, so what would be the point discussing it with you?

“or are you going to keep harping on about spelling mistakes and typos”
Learn to write and discuss properly and there’ll be no need to.

“and your great job comparing aircraft for your company”
Well it lets me be qualified to discuss aircraft comparisons objectively, doesn’t it?

“let me gues your the best of the best of the best at comparing aircraft in your particular company and therefore you know it all.”
I’m so happy that you think so. How many people do you think run aircraft evaluations for airlines or leasing companies or banks, by the way? Do you imagine it’s hundreds or only a handful?

“well done! ”
Thank you. I still await your answer to my questions, point by point, instead of waving your hand "whatever!"

U.S. carriers are in no position to be ordering the A380 – or any aircraft – at the moment. Take a look how many orders there have been from the U.S. legacy carriers. Only 2 ordered the 747-400 as a passenger aircraft and both of them are in Chapter 11. The A380 will introduce a quantum leap drop in operating costs for the airlines – extremely important with fuel today at over $2.00 per USG. Those airlines with intercontinental hub to hub strategies will order it in droves (hence 159 orders for a machine not yet in service – not bad for an aircraft costing close to $300 million). The 787 will do the same but will not be able to do it at slot constrained airports. Thus it’ll offer the same drop but to secondary markets. Yes it will get more orders than the A380 but it’s less than half the price, about 1/3 the size and so an airline will need to order more of them – it is only logical.

flyingbee
5th Oct 2005, 10:02
Taxiway (http://www.taxiway.fr/) run the Toulouse factory tours. However, they do not specify whether the A380 build line is included in the tour on the site. Your best bet is propbably to contact Taxiway.

flyingbee

Groundloop
5th Oct 2005, 11:28
Seems nobody picked up Leighton's post about the US Government paying for the prototype 747. Absolute rubbish, I'm afraid.

Boeing submitted design proposals for the C-5 competition with an aircraft that looked very similar to the Galaxy but without the T-Tail. Boeing lost to Douglas at the DESIGN stage.

Juan Trippe of Pan Am then approached Boeing with the suggestion of taking some of the studies they had done for the C-5 and come up with a large passenger aircraft. The result was the 747. But Boeing self financed the prototype and, when problems delayed early deliveries, almost drove Boeing under.

Sorry to try and put some common sense (and really off topic at that!) into a post full of the complete rubbish coming out of southern Ireland at the moment. And this post is probably much more boring to read than corklad's rantings.

But to come back on topic - let's see. Airports becoming increasingly congested, pax numbers rising. Therefore, like it or not, larger aircraft are required - hence the A380 for major trunk routes.

panda-k-bear
5th Oct 2005, 13:15
Umm, Lockheed, I think, groundloop. There is a point that some contribution was made by the U.S. governement. Without it there would have been no aircraft for Juan to start from, if you catch my drift. But yes, Boeing did bet the house on the 747 and it paid off. Top marks for that!

And actually no, it isn't boring. I was wondering if I was losing my marbles and the world had gone mad. Thank you for some common sense.

dawsonio
5th Oct 2005, 14:45
Corklad,

As far as I can see in this Topic it seems you have a chip on your shoulder against the British, not British v American

Myself I love the American people, I like Boeing planes, and I like airbus planes. Granted they both get help so let them play. It’s only going to benefit us as they will constantly try to outdo each other with better more reliable more stylish planes. I say great.

Who cares who orders what!!!

Oh and that bit about Ryanair made me laugh :ok:

Groundloop
5th Oct 2005, 15:05
Oops, of course it was Lockheed!

Probably laughing at corklad too much my brain threw a wobbly!

merlin505
5th Oct 2005, 15:25
This thread should be on prescription!

There i was sitting down to my computer with a splitting headache not relishing the prospect of several more hours of drudgery at the office when i happened across this thread.

20 mins later, headache gone and tears of laughter streaming down my face I am rejuvenated!

Corklad, please please stick your head back out of the foxhole :p

hanx
13th Oct 2005, 11:13
Saturday 29th will be the second time the A380 visits Germany. Some newspapers and the local spotter community (links at the end of this post) reported that the A380 will arrive at 09.00 am for tests regarding dispatch and the "overall airport capability".

The RMAS (Rhein-Main-Aviation-Society) website says that position E9 is reserved for the big Bus, and that the visitor terraces may be closed due to the limited capacity.

Some links (sorry, couldn't find links in english, so german language only):

Frankfurter Rundschau (http://www.fr-aktuell.de/ressorts/frankfurt_und_hessen/frankfurt_und_hessen/?cnt=734760)
RMAS (http://www.rmas.de/)

panda-k-bear
13th Oct 2005, 11:22
Also set to visit Singapore, K.L., Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Dubai during November according to Airbus.

It'll be nice to see it in other parts of the world and give punters a chance to see it.

sickBocks
14th Oct 2005, 20:27
Think I saw one North of Toulouse at FL360 yesterday afternoon - the controller didn't know as he wasn't responsible for that area though.

davedek
14th Oct 2005, 21:07
Has it been to the UK at all yet?

I wanna see that big girl at Heathrow!

captain cumulonimbus
17th Oct 2005, 08:25
Hi all,
When does EK expect to take delivery of its first 380? Anyone know?

chornedsnorkack
17th Oct 2005, 09:56
Sometime in Spring 2007. It was supposed to be October 2006, shortly after Qantas, but then the 6 month delay surfaced.

BMI701EGCC
18th Oct 2005, 09:39
The 2nd 380 took off this morning from Toulouse, then flew south west to do some testing :)

nice to hear that all is well!

cheers

scott waterworth

Halfnut
19th Oct 2005, 02:32
.....but did it come back?

vapilot2004
19th Oct 2005, 07:44
you're a funny guy Halfnut

:p

VnV2178B
19th Oct 2005, 08:01
Back on the ground at LFBO at about 15:30 apparently all in one piece! - now awaiting the post-flight report.

lasernigel
19th Oct 2005, 09:02
Thought the fourth one was already built and flying now,never mind the second.

wiggy
19th Oct 2005, 10:56
There were two out on the ramp (SE corner of airport) Monday evening, one with the Airbus paint scheme (tail) and the other was in all white - would that be number one and two respectively?
Also one or two others out on the tarmac by the main assembly halls to the NW of the airport so things are certainly progressing.

BMI701EGCC
19th Oct 2005, 11:04
this aircraft is MSN004 the forth bus off the production line, MSN 002/003 are being kept on the ground for interior testing, MSN001 as you well know made the maiden flight a few months back,

everything seems to be going ok for the A380 team at the moment, i hear they are ahead in testing :)

cheers
scott waterworth

Big Tudor
19th Oct 2005, 22:00
When all else fails, check the Airbus website (http://www.airbus.com/en/presscentre/pressreleases/pressreleases_items/10_18_05_second_A380.html) for info.

hanx
28th Oct 2005, 16:40
I just read in a news release that due to engine-problems nr. 4 will visit Frankfurt. One engine of Nr. 1 was replaced and the reinstallation of test equipment will take some time. Here's the link (sorry, its in german, couldn't find one in english language):

Engine replacement (http://www.vwd.de/vwd/news.htm?id=24059377&navi=home&sektion=ir)

point5
28th Oct 2005, 20:07
A380 due to do proving flight into Heathrow in January. Will stay overnight to be towed around the airfield.

Cheers!

allthatglitters
30th Oct 2005, 13:47
google translation:-
Press release conveys of directnews. For contents of this press release alone the reporting enterprise or the reporting institution is responsible.

A 380 has problems with an engine

F.A.Z. FRANKFURT, 28 October. With the new large-capacity aircraft A380 problems with the engine arose. The Frankfurt general newspaper (expenditure for Saturday) reports. Therefore the European manufacturer airbus on Saturday another test flight things than planned to Frankfurt airport sending, where different maneuvers and process at the soil are to be tried out. To information of this newspaper it had come on Thursday to technical problems with one of the two A380-Maschinen tested at present. The test flights of both airplanes - both the number 1 as well as the number 4 - are to have been broken off. About it high-level personnel is to have been informed on late Thursday by E-Mail. On Saturday now the A380 with the manufacturer number 4 is planned the number 1 to Frankfurt to fly, not as before.

A spokeswoman von Airbus in Toulouse confirmed that at test flight things number 1 was arisen "with an inspection a problem". "preventive" one exchanged this engine, which comes from the manufacturer Rolls-Royce, now. It did not want to confirm rumors, to which it had come to a fire in the engine. Due to the complex installation of test equipments at the new engine stick the A380 number 1 now only once at the soil, said it. So far it was intended that he starts in the next week to test flights to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Australia. In the schedule for it nothing is to change, was called it in Toulouse.

Contentwise further inquiries arrange you please:

Frankfurt general newspaper Mr. Jahn Tel.: 0049 (0)69-75 91-14 40

hanx
30th Oct 2005, 21:42
Weekend is over, and this happened during the visit of the A380:

Loads of local spotters feel a bit kidded because 30 min before scheduled landing the runway was changed from 07 to 25. I don't know the reason for the change but there must have been a good one (change of wind direction perhaps :-)), they wouldn't change only to get rid of some people with cameras as some assume on their local forum.

:E

Nearly all tests were going well, but this is a topic which is covered by a lot of the media.

Nr. 4 left frankfurt at 9:25 with one extra round over frankfurt, but try to see a white plane in fog, haha, i image i heard it but since it is said to be so quiet i think i heard the SAS leaving to Stockholm (MD 80)

:}

Regards from FRA

hanx

ps: oh, i forgot, fraport calculated with about 50.000 visitors, but only 5.000-10.000 (depends on the source of the estimation) came to the A380. They should change the reg to F-WPIF (white plane in fog)

Buster Hyman
2nd Nov 2005, 05:34
I like the rego...F-WWOW...I'd have thought that F-TBMF would be more appropriate though!http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/spezial/Fool/inc.gif

flyboycoxy
2nd Nov 2005, 22:42
Hi Guys,

I am heading the BNE for the first landing of the A380 in Australia on the 11th of november.

I know it lands in the eavening of the 11th and was wondering if any pprune members know of any good viewing areas at brisbane Intl

Inside the terminal is ok but would rather be outside if possible.

Any info would be great.

Flyboycoxy

Mr @ Spotty M
4th Nov 2005, 16:09
The 3rd Airbus A380 to take to the sky's, did so yesterday the 3rd November.
Aircraft MSN 002 flew for 3 hours, yesterday afternoon.
The tour of Asia and Australia has been delayed, aircraft due to arrive in Singapore on 11th November, instead of the 8th.
This is due to two engines being changed at the request of Rolls-Royce after an earlier change.
The aircraft tour of Australia will be unchanged.
Details on the Airbus web site.

Algy
4th Nov 2005, 16:52
...or for a more objective view... (http://www.flightinternational.com/Articles/2005/11/04/Navigation/177/202588/Third+A380+flies+as+demo+tour+is+postponed.html)

MarkD
4th Nov 2005, 20:15
what was unobjective Algy?

the_hawk
4th Nov 2005, 21:01
I guess he meant the airbus website and not your post...

Algy
7th Nov 2005, 08:14
yup, sorry if not clear.

the_hawk
8th Nov 2005, 13:16
F-WXXL landed for the first time in Hamburg (EDHI) today 1319z. It was welcomed by the German head of Airbus and lots of Airbus workers and spotters as well :) It will get interior for ~500 pax with subsequent test flights.

747FOCAL
8th Nov 2005, 17:06
THERE WILL BE NO QC 2 FOR YOU :E

A380 is louder than assumed :E

Media: Frankfurter Rundschau

Author: Wolfgang Schubert

Date: 05 November 2005

Fraport and expansion opponents present results of measurements/not tested in normal every-day conditions

The Airbus A 380 was as loud as a Boeing jumbo jet 747 during the test landing in Frankfurt a week ago. Moreover the [A380] causes dangerous wake vortices because of its size, communicated the German aircraft noise monitoring organization on Friday in its measurement results. Fraport confirmed the measuring data to a large extent.

Frankfurt • "The shouts of joy [about the A380] are to be referred to the land of fairytales", said Sascha Friebe, chairman of the German aircraft noise monitoring organization (DFLD). Lufthansa managers, airport CEO William Bender, Minister President Roland Koch and Chief Burgomaster of Frankfurt Petra Roth had talked about a "quiet giant bird” after the landing before 10,000 spectators last Saturday, which flew in "like a glider."

The measurements of the aircraft noise service in Moerfelden Walldorf, which considers itself as an "independent non--governmental organization" and is predominantly organized in the airport development opposition, show the opposite. The mega-airplane, which should have been three to four decibels quieter than the largest passenger airplane the Boeing 747-400 according to manufacturer data, was as loud as other large-capacity aircraft during the landing. The measuring instrument of DFLD registered 67 decibels over Neu-Isenburg south of Frankfurt.

The noise might have been even stronger. On Friday airport operator Fraport submitted its own results of measurement, which are even higher than those of the DFLD. For Offenbach-Bieber Fraport indicated 70.3 decibels, in Offenbach-Lauterborn was it 71.8, in Frankfurt-South 75.3 and at level of the Stadtwaldhaus just before touch down 82.3. In comparative values with a 747 plane, which had landed during the same morning, were only lower at the Stadtwaldhaus. In Frankfurt-South and in Offenbach-Lauterborn the A 380 was substantially louder

During takeoff, Fraport registered values that were below those of the 747. The Airbus however only weighed 400 tons. If it would be fully occupied for a flight to Tokyo and would have been refueled, the plane would have weighed 560 tons and would have been much louder than the 65.7 decibels over Raunheim and the 74.5 over Weilbach.

Fraport emphasized however that the measured values of only one landing and one takeoff of a prototype is not representative. The test plane was even equipped with measuring instruments at the fuselage and the wings, which would have caused additional surge noises.

The aircraft noise monitoring organization criticized also that the A 380 was not tested under everyday life conditions. The air traffic control (DFS) granted the pilots "ideal landing conditions". The distance to the next jet for instance was with ten miles so large that the A 380 could land "with low speed and therefore quietly". DFS spokesperson Axel Raab said, they had opted for a large distance for safety reasons because of possible turbulence.

Those are extremely large according to data of the DFLD. The A 380 has caused, "a good two minute tornado with noise values of about 70 decibels," said Friebe. Such turbulence he has “never experienced". If the plane would have flown very low over Raunheim, “the roofs would have blown off".

Wolfgang Schubert

I wonder how that PAX Evac test is stacking up? :\

BEagle
8th Nov 2005, 17:55
Your usual ill-informed BS, 747 F***all.

The full scale A380 passenger evacuation test is due to be conducted early next year. Hopefully the US made escape slides will work OK.

747FOCAL
8th Nov 2005, 18:02
Hey that looks like it came out of a German newspaper to me. I just posted it.

:E

Personally, I don't think it would matter who made the slides. Airbus will never get 873 PAX off of that airplane in 90 seconds.

MarkD
8th Nov 2005, 18:06
I was hoping not to be the first to bite - thanks Beags. :D :D :D

Be careful who you count as friends 747FOCAL - those greenie groups won't like 747Adv any more than A380...

747FOCAL
8th Nov 2005, 18:11
MarkD - Thanks and I know this. I just like stirring the pot. :E :ok:

DozyWannabe
8th Nov 2005, 18:17
When it comes to wake vortices, it's worth remembering that size isn't always everything. The 757 actually created vortices more powerful than those of the 747 Classic, due to the advances in aerodynamically-efficient wing design between the mid '60s and late '70s.

I also find that most of these noise-monitoring groups won't be happy until all airfields are situated hundreds of miles from the nearest town.

jollyikarus
8th Nov 2005, 18:27
Very questionable indeed what that Mr. Wolfgang Schubert writes....

Where did he get his 'facts' from...and was the actual vertical flight profile of that flight ever considered???

First of all, landing conditions at the time the A380 made that 'working visit' to Frankfurt were anything but 'ideal', and anyone who saw the landing on TV will agree that it was 'firm and safe' but by no means 'picturebook-style'!

In a TV-Interview, the pilot (Absmeier) stated that the approach was 'on instruments'.... HEY, I didn't know that the A380 was already certified for IFR-Ops! ;-)

But never mind, everything regarding the A380 and Airbus is highly political and any flaws are covered by a blanket of silence.... or legal proceedings, following the principle of 'If you are not FOR us, you are AGAINST us!'

Frankfurt Airport, too, is a highly political issue - night curfew, new runway, departure and arrival routes, new maintenance hangar, freight centre...and many more. So, it is no wonder that extremes (interests) collide here very intensely and all the sources quoted in that newspaper article are very biased.

Like always, the truth is somewhere in between!

From what I heard (and saw) of the approaching A380, it was not louder than most other 'Heavies' approaching FRA, and certainly a lot more quiet than some of the US Military freighters which used to operate into FRA until recently. But then, the fog may have swallowed some of the noise....

Can't say much about the take-off on Sunday, except, that it was 'picturebook-like flat' and the pilot seemed to be in no real hurry to reach altitude. Why should he, anyway, as he was going to do some sort of low 'fly-over' of Frankfurt City in VFR (which he soon abandoned due to poor visibilty/low cloud!)?!?!?

IMHO, for all practical purposes, that newspaper article is for the wastebin, just stirring for the sake of stirring (and be invited to more press conferences as an (self-appointed) 'aviation specialist editor'.

Anyone else with more facts????

Cheers!

;-)

747FOCAL
8th Nov 2005, 18:35
You know I am yanking everyone's chain. :E

I agree with Topic Review jollyikarus that the conditions were not ideal and certainly not certification level, but when you are comparing the data of the A380 to other aircraft flights made on the same day and something shows up you have to question it. airbus has been telling the world that the A380 would be 50% quieter than a 747-400. It should have been at least less, but according to these people it is not.

No QC2 takeoff and its a dead bird.

jollyikarus
8th Nov 2005, 20:09
747FOCAL
-------------------------------------------------------
but when you are comparing the data of the A380 to other aircraft flights made on the same day and something shows up you have to question it. airbus has been telling the world that the A380 would be 50% quieter than a 747-400. It should have been at least less, but according to these people it is not.
---------------------------------------------------------

Who has the REAL figures about other flights that same day?????

I for sure don't!

To me, the whole approach looked like a 'high drag/high power' approach - more for stability and precision than anything else. But then...I wasn't on board.

A few weeks ago, when the bird visited Hamburg during Open Day at Finkenwerder and did three turns over the airfield, it appeared to be VERY quiet. But then....he was probably just soaring with all engines set to idle.

That the A380 can take off 'steeper' than in FRA could already be seen on the first flight in TLS! Weights were probably quite different, though.

Fact remains that all AIRBUS issues - and any concerning Frankfurt Airport or Hamburg/Finkenwerder - are highly political and biased! No room for constructive truth.

It is also very interesting to see which path some of the contributions to this particular thread are taking. IMHO a bit too emotional to be factual or in any way constructive.

Cheers!

:-)

markflyer6580
8th Nov 2005, 21:25
Its a bit hostile in here:ouch:

The 747 will always look better though, and just as Concorde was loud as you like,people loved it,the same is said of the 747.
But I don't think there will be too many people banging on about "that nice new French plane":E

Faire d'income
8th Nov 2005, 21:54
The distance to the next jet for instance was with ten miles so large that the A 380 could land "with low speed and therefore quietly".

Eh it's not as if either runway at FRA is limiting for landing so WTF is he on about?

EI-CFC
8th Nov 2005, 22:27
The measurements of the aircraft noise service in Moerfelden Walldorf, which considers itself as an "independent non--governmental organization" and is predominantly organized in the airport development opposition, show the opposite.

I think that sentence speaks volumes.

Oshkosh George
8th Nov 2005, 23:01
that nice new French plane

It's actually more British than French(by content).

jollyikarus
9th Nov 2005, 00:38
--------------------------------------------------
Eh it's not as if either runway at FRA is limiting for landing so WTF is he
on about?
---------------------------------------------------

What else do you expect from a wannabe (aviation) journalist???
I wonder if the person he cited (Raab) will ever recognize his statement in this context. But who cares?

Hey guys.....it is Showtime - Airbus Showtime!

Cheers!

;-)

Dani
9th Nov 2005, 00:43
May I help some of the not initiated ppruners here about some basic facts about physics:

65 to 70 decibels are the volume you have at the moment in your office when you have your printer on or someone is talking to you in a normal voice.

Please read the Wikipedia article below:
Decibel scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Acoustics)

Landing traffic is never a noise problem, although some airport-neighbour-committees say so. "Look, there's an airplane - and if you listen there's also a sound". While the car going through the street is much louder.

Take off noise is a much greater problem indead. If those French Airbus-Engineers made it possible that the taking off A380 is at nearly office noice, then they have done a good job.

Dani

4SPOOLED
9th Nov 2005, 04:03
meh, i dont know what everyone is whinging about, the louder the better in my narrow minded opinion. 707's 727's 732's an 74 calssics at full noise on take off...mmmm now there is a real aircraft.

Seems like the world has turned into a bunch of pansys. I bet the people who make all the noise about aircraft are the ones who cannot afford to fly, and live in the poor socio economic arears surrounding most field, moving in knowing there was an airfield there that was there long before housing went in......

411A
9th Nov 2005, 05:11
Good for you 4Spooled, in fact I would like to fly an old B707-320 straight-pipe to FRA, just to wake 'em up....:}

Ahhh, the good 'ole days....black smoke and noise. :ok:

aus_interloper
9th Nov 2005, 07:26
first time poster, please be gentle ;)
anyone here able to give me an idea of the flight path of the a380 as it goes bris <-> syd, when overhere in .au?

looking at maybe trying for some flyover shots..
ie:one (http://bigmoe.zoto.com/img/1024x768x1/1037fc70e2b431e306a0e1ebba0a4969-.jpg),two (http://bigmoe.zoto.com/img/1024x768x1/b14446b238d74cdee98a396ef49575fc-.jpg),three (http://bigmoe.zoto.com/img/1024x768x1/1ea1830cad6a842401287e7a30cefec9-.jpg)

Groundloop
9th Nov 2005, 08:23
Dani,

Actually some airliners now are louder on the approach than on take-off.

Modern high by-pass turbofans can be incredibly quiet. One of the major sources of noise is now the airframe. In landing mode flaps/slats are extended further creating greater disturbance in the airflow thus creating more noise.

Also departing aircraft clean-up quickly ie retracting the gear immediately after rotation, whereas landing aircraft have the gear down for a long time. The gear creates a LOT of airframe noise.

markflyer6580
9th Nov 2005, 08:35
4Spooled

Well said that man.
My house is on the short final of an old RAF base,the last things that flew were lightnings,I wish I was living here then. They really are loud:}

Danny
9th Nov 2005, 11:15
May I remind all the 'enthusiasts' who appear unable to contain their pro or anti Airbus/Boeing feelings that this is the Professional Pilots Rumour Network and I won't entertain continued amateurish posts about your petty opinions whether Airbus or Boeing have got it right or do it better. :*

If you feel the need to defend your honour or honor, depending which side of the Boeing/Airbus debate your 'enthusiast' leanings take you, then there are other forums on this website that cater for your needs. This forum is not the palce for enthusiasts to air their views on the pro's or con's of whose aircraft is bigger or better.

As potential pilots of these new aircraft or comparable existing ones, we can expect a bit of banter from time to time, just as we do when gathering for post trip relaxation when downroute. What we don't expect is a bunch of enthusiasts butting in with their aggressive and misplaced affections for particular aircraft manufacturers.

So, if you want to post about how aroused you get every time you think about a particular aircraft type or you want to have an argument about which manufacturers' technology turns you on more, please go visit the 'Spectators Balcony' forum where you can mudsling to your hearts desire. Having your posts deleted is a waste of my time and yours. This forum is not the place for anything that isn't directly related to current aircraft types that are flown in non-military scenarios by professional pilots. When the A380 enters service then no doubt there will be space and time on here for the various incidents which are bound to occur.

In the meantime, new airliners undergoing testing, old airliners now consigned to the history books and museums, general aviation and recreational aircraft all have their own forums on here and this isn't one of them! :suspect: :rolleyes:

ARINC
9th Nov 2005, 18:01
Before anyone shouts spotter, you'll notice I took these pics airside !

Low Go round gear up, hardly noisey....!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Baw1085/A380Low.jpg

This was full TR and she stopped in under half the runway length after an admittedly short hop/Low Gross to Finkenwerder from Toulouse. But noisy ? Certainly no noiser than any other Heavy I've seen and heard.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Baw1085/IMG_0242red.jpg

This is noise !!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b112/Baw1085/har3dred.jpg

Green Guard
9th Nov 2005, 18:41
Groundloop

You may be right only if the acft in approach is starting a goaround.

Do not confuse this with flaps or even a parashute (if installed).

Ýf you still do not believe your ears please take them under the approach part of any airfield and just use them properly

tallsandwich
9th Nov 2005, 21:11
Danny,

You may be hosting (and giving out invitations to) this party but...

"In the meantime, new airliners undergoing testing......all have their own forums on here and this isn't one of them!"

Guess the whole thread should be moved to another forum as last time I checked, the A380 was "a new airliner undergoing testing" :p

So far this thread still contains no facts re A380 noise and no amount of time consuming moderation will change that :{

If talk of A380 noise needs to continue, then you might as well invite the guy who fixes the roofs on the portacabins on the St Martin site of Airbus France - as he will be uniquely qualified to give the most accurate "figures" which will certainly not be measured in any known scientific units :E

My alternative proposal - get the A380 to fly into (and then leave) BRU after a 747 and then we all check out the 'Wake Up Craainem' web site for a fair comparison
http://www.wakeupkraainem.be/sonometres/

Anyone know of a similar site for FRA so we can check it out and you can all stop arguing without any facts?

ExSimGuy
10th Nov 2005, 14:54
As a long-not-aviator, but a quite old member of this forum, I hope Danny will forgive me (if not, I'm banned :) )

Maybe he had a bad flight or had a Boing (or Bus - not sure which he flies) bump into him this morning - but it's his site and he has more entitlement to comment that the rest of us - AND to move to Spotters Corner!!

Whichever camp you belong to, the 380 is a heck of a piece of engineering. The Conc made a lot of noise, but we got usedto it (some even loved it - and I used to live on the A4,right beside LHR right runway!)

Have any of the detrators ever stood behind a 727 (pre-"hush-kit" taxiing?? :ugh: - any modern high-bypass fan-jet has to be quieter than that (similar story with BAC 1-11 and Trident, but maybe not quite so much)

Evac? - well, it has to prove itself and we'll have to wait and see, but I doubt if 'Bus would have gone this far and spent as much money if they weren't sure it would qualify!

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to the first time I get to fly from RUH or BAH to LHR on this remarkable aircraft. Surely we heard all these arguments decades ago when the 747 first debued?

And if the DeamLiner gets on the route, I'll be very interested in that too :ok:

alert5
11th Nov 2005, 02:35
Managed to catch its arrival one hour ago.

http://www.radarvector.com/2005/11/a380-landed-in-singapore.html

ACMS
11th Nov 2005, 04:27
Being a chap employed as a "Professional" in this wonderful business we call Aviation I feel very qualified to give my 2 cents worth...................here goes again.

Airbus build cheap plastic throw away crap. Always have and always will.

If it's not Boeing................

Get the picture?

chow.

N380UA
11th Nov 2005, 09:20
N24 (http://www.n24.de/lifestyle/reise/index.php/n2005111107463000002)

Looks like the A380 is on a promo tour through Asia and Australia.

Dani
11th Nov 2005, 09:31
I've been there! It's big!

http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/danielwigger/images/A380.jpg

Dani

BlueEagle
11th Nov 2005, 11:21
Singapore (Changi), where the picture shows the a/c landing, used to be WSSS, what is the significance of the change to WSSL please?

Avman
11th Nov 2005, 16:08
I thought WSSL was Seletar. Changi is still WSSS isn't it?

Airbus340FO
11th Nov 2005, 17:16
Hello 747FOCAL,
with surprise I got to read your comments in the forum. A lot of times I can´t imagine you are a prof. pilot, or something horrible must happened to you in the past.
But you can be proud, because I took my nickname after your so well known name here.

It seems to me, you are the second best known person herein the forum after 411A.

To give you some insight from Frankfurt/Germany. The people you are referring to in your post would like to stop airtraffic completely in Frankfurt Rhein/Main and they are also a privately organised group.

Just for your information and back to the facts:

The ILS intercept was out of 3000´ feet, fully established, instead out of the standard 4000´ and that was one of the points, where they had their first noise monitoring point.

Second, we really got a laugh out of the statement from the generated tornados and the rooftops in danger in the approach path from RWY 07 ( a little in front of the marker ).

"Such turbulence he has “never experienced". If the plane would have flown very low over Raunheim, “the roofs would have blown off".

But just a little info about that A380.

Lufthansa will phase out the 747 now, since they need so much fuel.
The A340-600 is saving 25tons compared to the 747-400 in fuel on each leg to Buenos Aires. (same payload, wind etc.. )
The A380 is at least 15% more efficient in any sector then the A340-600.

But they are thinking at Lufthansa about buying a 787, when the aircraft will perform as promised and that also in time.

hope that makes you happy...

MarkD
12th Nov 2005, 01:11
alert5 probably made a typo while hoping to pull people to his blog as usual. At least he isn't just linking to someone else's site this time - although there is no attribution on the photos...

BlueEagle
12th Nov 2005, 01:11
Thanks Avman. I'd love to see an A380 land at Seletar!!!

alert5
12th Nov 2005, 02:25
I took the photos myself for your information. Taken with a Casio EX-Z3. Need more proof?

And sorry for the typo. I was rushing to get to work.

bantios
12th Nov 2005, 07:39
Any fellow pilots going to watch the A380 land this Monday at Melbourne airport?

I will be there with a smile on my face.

One day,, just one day ill be off the 320 and onto this massive 380.

bekolblockage
12th Nov 2005, 08:41
Saw it land in Singapore yesterday. Doesn't look that long, but it sure is high and wiiiiiiide!

Greenmonkey
12th Nov 2005, 09:09
i might go on monday evening, does any one know what there is gonna be to do there, are you going to be able to see the thing ?

bantios
12th Nov 2005, 09:13
The viewing deck inside the airport will be open all day and night to view the A380. Being a pilot on a bus already; we will be given a tour of the insides.

blackwatergoblin
12th Nov 2005, 09:58
Ramblings of a feeble mind edited out.....

Traffic
12th Nov 2005, 14:24
There was plethora of old kit around the place at Changi this morning...

Travolta's V-Jet Qantas 707 which I presume is a trailing spouse for the A380 Tour Downunder.

Aso a Pakistan 707 on the hardstand around Bay 40, plus the usual KC135 parked over the far end of the strip.

ExSimGuy
12th Nov 2005, 17:12
Any fellow pilots going to watch the A380 land

Careful, Guys - Better wear your wings and stripes. You could getmistaken for spotters :*

Bantios, Hope you get your wish (ah, if I was a few years younger . . . AND had a few more \"A-Levels\")

jamesh.com.au
14th Nov 2005, 11:30
http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105

Thanks a ton to John Eacott for the ride! Hopefully this is the right forum for these!

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6940.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6940?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6944.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6944?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6959.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6959?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6945.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6945?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6960.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6960?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6910.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6910?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6950.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6950?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6972.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6972?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6962.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6962?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6984.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6984?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6977.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6977?full=1)

http://trapdoor.darb.net/albums/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6968.sized.jpg
(http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105/csmIMG_6968?full=1)

More here: http://trapdoor.darb.net/gallery/A380-YML-141105

VC10 Rib22
14th Nov 2005, 11:40
I loved seeing her at Paris 2005, nice the Aussies have finally got to see her sheer size, in the flesh. Good crowds, too.

VC10 Rib22

:ok:

Sultan Ismail
14th Nov 2005, 17:29
Hope it goes to the paint shop before it gets here on Thursday or Malaysia Airlines will be p*ss*d off.

Did you notice the SIA logos at WSSS, the QANTAS logos at YMML

exmax
15th Nov 2005, 00:15
Thanks for posting those pics of the A380 in MEL, I managed to see it's departure ex SYD yesterday morning and certainly was the highlight of my day.:D

exmax

jamesh.com.au
16th Nov 2005, 11:50
thanks guys, I was just in a fortunate position. I think I was the only airborne photographer there .... which is quite funny as it was my first time in a harness, hanging out of a jetranger!

BOAC
16th Nov 2005, 12:31
Taking bondage to 'new heights', Jamesh?:D

jamesh.com.au
17th Nov 2005, 19:11
LOL! I never said first time in bondage ... Don't Go There! :O :p

Sultan Ismail
17th Nov 2005, 23:43
Corporate Logos

Pleased to report that it did arive in Kuala Lumpur with MALAYSIA logos, a lot of paint has gone into this promo tour, that QANTAS logo took up a lot of real estate.

dushank
19th Nov 2005, 07:39
Taken on 19th November 2005 from a nearby building.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7559/p60300274af.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/97/p60300290of.jpg
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8593/p60300300fg.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4661/p60300314sb.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/3286/p60300328jq.jpg

vapilot2004
19th Nov 2005, 08:02
Dushank, you are a good man for posting these first photos !

Thank you thank You !

According to the Airbus website, the big bird (as I like to call her) will be the highlight of the show - including flying demonstrations.

I've seen Lockheed's C-5s at close range -very impressive - I would imagine an A380 would be quite the thrill to see in person too ! (a bit quieter I should think)

For having only a couple of A380 copies flying about - there sure are a nice variety of airline colors to see.

BRGDS,
vapilot

:cool:

PS for the technical among us - Airbus has recently released the Airport planning documents on the A380 - including typical seating, jet exhaust maps, dimensions and service ports.

White Knight
19th Nov 2005, 10:34
As I said on the thread running in the Middle East forum, the 380 dressed in Emirates logo looked great this morning flying around Jumeirah...

And it was VERY QUIET - I think the Learjet chase plane doing a photoshoot generated far more noise:{

JJflyer
20th Nov 2005, 15:44
But oh my is it ugly. It looks even worse in real life than it does on pictures.

JJ

dushank
22nd Nov 2005, 13:08
A380 in Dubai Air Show 2005

Isn't she beautiful ?

The credit goes to my friend Viren Pushpanayagam who captured these lovely shots.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/6783/p10505763ok.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/844/p10505942ok.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6696/p10505956op.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/4549/p10505968at.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8595/p10506004ol.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7392/p10506017mk.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5063/p10506028li.jpg

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9915/p10506054xu.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7174/p10506079jq.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/8424/p10506095ty.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5195/p10506128pp.jpg

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7946/p10506171xb.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8923/p10506180ih.jpg

Xeque
22nd Nov 2005, 14:42
These are fabulous pix. But can you imagine how much more impressive it will all be in years to come when the fuselage plugs go in and the aircraft becomes a lot longer than it is now.

Remember the A340. It looked quite squat until the 400 and 600 versions were introduced.

reverserunlocked
25th Nov 2005, 01:48
Cue Andy from Little Britain voice.. 'I don't like it'

luchtzak
1st Dec 2005, 23:01
He is Belgian ánd he is leading the Emirates-Airbus A380 integration program: captain Patrick De Roeck was the very first commercial pilot to fly the Airbus A380 for Emirates Airlines on the Dubai Air Show, escorted by the 'Patrouille De France'. Have a look at the images here: http://www.luchtzak.be/article10645.html

greetz,

Bart

brockenspectre
2nd Dec 2005, 11:29
Great pics! Can't wait to see my first "live" A380 ... :ok:

sarah737
4th Dec 2005, 00:06
Not on the pictures, but the patrouille de france flew a barrel roll around the 380.

BOAC
4th Dec 2005, 08:00
I KNEW the wake turbulence was going to be a problem...........:D :D

Alain
10th Dec 2005, 18:55
hey everyone

i was sure to see a A380 with a big sticker on it saying SIA is to be the first one to take delivery of the A380 but now im seeing all these pictures of Emirates A380 fully painted and all, im not quite sure if it is in service yet but can anyone explain to me whats going on there???

cheers

ciao

akerosid
10th Dec 2005, 19:11
Hi Alain,

SIA will get its first A380 in Nov/Dec of next year; Emirates will gets its first aircraft in/about April 2007 (although Tim Clarke, EK's CEO, has said he's not altogether convinced of this - and is dangling the expected A350 order as a means to "encourage" Airbus to deliver on time).

The Dubai Air Show was held last month and since EK is a pretty sizeable A380 customer (the biggest by a long way) and since EK is a big Airbus customer, an A380 was painted in EK's livery for the show.

I don't think the one painted in EK colours is actually going to EK; indeed, ironically, two of the test aircraft (possibly including that one) are going to find a home a few miles down the road in AUH, with Etihad.

HowlingWind
10th Dec 2005, 20:03
I believe the plane sporting EK livery at the Dubai Air show had earlier been in SQ colours during a visit to Singapore, and then had QF paint on a subsequent trip to Oz.

Dani
10th Dec 2005, 20:25
partly correct.

The first aircraft, F-WWOW (MSN 001), has been seen in SIA and QF livery and is the first flying A380' (there are two others for structural tests). The first serial model for SQ will be MSN 003, F-WWSA.

The one in EK livery is F-WWDD, MSN 004. It is the second aircraft. Both will remain longer in service as a test aircraft.

EK and SQ have signed the contract with AI at the same time, but SQ a little earlier, so both can say they are the first to fly the A380. SQ will be the first to put it into service.

I might have to tell you that it's even more complicated: The production sequence is also not in order: first they complete MSN 001, then 004, then 002, 007, 003, 005 and 006.

Alain
10th Dec 2005, 20:31
Thanks guys mow its all clear to me.
its kinda funny though how confusing they can make it....

cheers guys

ciao

vapilot2004
10th Dec 2005, 22:16
The A380's 'paint' is actually removable decals - pretty slick for promotional quick turn-arounds.

arryboy
11th Dec 2005, 03:20
Guess they'll all be very disappointed when they do get them........................the thing just ain't going to meet it's promised performance.............50 tons short of target max Take off weight due to wing bending when loaded with fuel (fore and aft twisting), won't even do Hong kong- los Angeles direct, so Singapore/QF & Emirates are going to look pretty silly....................
Also the wake turbulence is a big problem, they are talking about creating a new category and you'll loose 1 take off behind every 380 departure..................should annoy everybody

kenfoggo
11th Dec 2005, 07:55
I say Arryboy, that's a bit of an eye opener. Is that a rumour or fact that A380 is coming up 50 tonnes short of expected MTOW??

ARINC
11th Dec 2005, 16:05
Guess they'll all be very disappointed when they do get them........................the thing just ain't going to meet it's promised performance.............50 tons short of target max Take off weight due to wing bending when loaded with fuel (fore and aft twisting), won't even do Hong kong- los Angeles direct, so Singapore/QF & Emirates are going to look pretty silly....................

I would be interested in seeing any sourced facts to substantiate this rubbish.

Also the wake turbulence is a big problem, they are talking about creating a new category and you'll loose 1 take off behind every 380 departure..................should annoy everybody

Given the fact Boeing has decided to join the game with the 747-8 then the new wake category, if created, will be waiting for them when they fly.

The aviation world will have to get used to it.

BOAC any reason for the edit ?

pstaney
3rd Jan 2006, 11:34
A buddy sent me this px, wanted to know the airline. Anyone help?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/pstanley55/8f5d0f61.jpg

Stan

BEagle
3rd Jan 2006, 11:36
It is actually a photo of a large scale model aeroplane, not of the real A380. The video from which this photo was taken can be found on the Internet.

pstaney
3rd Jan 2006, 11:38
Fast response THANKS. He tried to make me believe was real!!

Anyone know the airline livery?

GK430
3rd Jan 2006, 11:57
It's Etihad Airways, based Abu Dhabi and the National Airline of the UAE.
What a great marketing tool it is too!

chornedsnorkack
3rd Jan 2006, 12:02
Fast response THANKS. He tried to make me believe was real!!

Anyone know the airline livery?
Well, the text ETIHAD is the actual name of an airline.

And their official pictures - fakes, so far - of their A380 can be found on their site:
http://www.etihadairways.com/Presentation/webforms/PhotoGallery.aspx?pageid=FD8622E1-40E7-45BF-A4F6-00B621D01A46

I do not think A380 has as yet flown in Etihad livery, though they did glue on the liveries of some other A380 customers during the A380 tour in November.

Full Emergency
3rd Jan 2006, 13:30
I do not think A380 has as yet flown in Etihad livery, though they did glue on the liveries of some other A380 customers during the A380 tour in November.

Does anyone know when the A380 is due into LHR ?? Just curious that's all....

FE

point5
3rd Jan 2006, 14:16
First demo flight due end of Feb/begin March to co-incide with the opening of the new A380 pier. Livery yet to be announced!!

Full Emergency
4th Jan 2006, 08:57
First demo flight due end of Feb/begin March to co-incide with the opening of the new A380 pier. Livery yet to be announced!!

If you are on about Pier 6 at LHR, it is already open.....well to us anyways. :ok:

Had a walk down there the other day. As long as there wasn't a plane on stand you'd get a fantastic view of the Southern Runway.

FE

Full Emergency
4th Jan 2006, 09:00
Livery yet to be announced!!

I'd be putting my money on either Virgin or Emeriates, being the UK and LHR, I would say Virgin. I am sure that Branson would love to try and get one over his rivals.

That and aren't Virgin sueing Airbus for the A380 being late? This might be part of a settlement deal. You never know.

FE

Point Seven
8th Jan 2006, 21:13
point5

Not quite true - Pier 6 first stand opens on 16th (307) for live movements, 9th for towing trials. The pier should be fully in use way before the A380 arrives especially as it doesn't have a UK Airworthiness Certificate yet...

P7

ExSimGuy
9th Jan 2006, 12:44
Etihad Airways, based Abu Dhabi and the National Airline of the UAE
I suspect that Emirates Air (EK) may be a little upset about that! EK was the "airline of the United Arab Emirates" (UAE) based in Dubai. I think that it was jointly owned by Dubai, AUH and maybe some of the other emirates that make up the UEA.

Now AUH (Abu-Dhabi - another emirate of the UEA) has opened their own airline, Etihad.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
10th Jan 2006, 09:31
I see the A380 is off for altitude training at Medellin - Jose Maria Cordova Airport (MDE/SKRG) today. Elevation 7027ft.

redbull
11th Jan 2006, 14:03
Hi, just heard a rumour that the A380 roll-out will be delayed for a year. Has anyone else heard this ??

oliversarmy
11th Jan 2006, 14:27
I thought it had already happened in April 2005 ?

alexmcfire
11th Jan 2006, 15:38
Cool, now the A380 been to 8 countries, Australia, Colombia, France, Germany, Malaysia, Singapore, Spain and UAE.
I wonder who´s next in line, since Bolivia seem to be canceled?
UK perhaps?

the_hawk
11th Jan 2006, 17:41
Airbus will not comment on the test campaign until it is complete, but MSN004 is expected to fly on to La Paz, Bolivia where hot-and-high altitude performance tests are traditionally undertaken. During these trials, the aircraft will carry out take-offs and landings at high temperatures at El Alto airport in La Paz, which has an airfield elevation of in excess of 13,000ft (3,940m). (Flight International)

Bolivia isn't canceled.

point5
12th Jan 2006, 22:54
The A380 doesn't have a certficate to fly into the UK yet! The LHR visit has been delayed until March.

Cheers!

Point Seven
13th Jan 2006, 18:19
point5

i am intersted in how you get your inside information so quickly. you really have your finger on the pulse of Heathrow.

P7

chornedsnorkack
16th Jan 2006, 07:54
How roomy do you think is the upper deck of the Airbus A380?

A picture of the upper deck of the first plane - with a complete, 8 abreast Economy row in picture, but far in the background:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/972843/L/
Do you fancy spending hours in that window seat?

A closer view of a partial row:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/958995/L/

For comparison, an Airbus 340-600 prototype in a comparable stage of completeness:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/371822/L/
Do A340-600 and A380 use water tanks of equal size?
I noticed that both pictures have 4 rows of tanks and thought if they provide equal scale.

The A340-600 has much narrower aisle in the middle - but then the side tanks are a bit farther from the wall.

A part of the A380 has been made more habitable - with Business seats:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/958875/L/
For comparison, one example of a 340-600 Business Class in service:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/535228/L/

So - which one do you think is the more roomy and comfortable?

apaddyinuk
18th Jan 2006, 11:58
I noticed yesterday as I came off my flight that a UA777 was parked at the new A380 compatable pier at T3 with both airbridges connected. Due to the high number of official looking chaps standing around the apron I assume that they were running a test with the aircraft on stand and also the stand next door seemed to be getting a hose down in preperation for more trials.
SOOOOO....Does anyone seem to know when we may see an A380 paying a quick visit to LHR in order to try out the new stands????

MarkD
18th Jan 2006, 18:10
wonder what was in it for UA since they aren't getting any!

point5
18th Jan 2006, 18:40
Stands 303, 305, 307, 309 and 311 are now all open and available for live traffic. 301 will come into service in due course. Indeed United and Malaysian were parked up on 305 and 307 this arvo. First A380 due in March.

Cheers!

apaddyinuk
18th Jan 2006, 18:58
Ooohh...Thanks for that Point5!!!

spannersatcx
18th Jan 2006, 21:14
First A380 due in March 2006 or 2007?:E

Gonzo
18th Jan 2006, 21:44
Just a clarification; the stands we now call 309 and 311 are what used to be known as 304 and 302, they've just been renumbered, and are not part of the new Pier 6 development. In the future, Pier 6 will extend across what is now the R cul-de-sac and stands 309 and 311 will face north alongside 301-307.

point5
18th Jan 2006, 22:15
Indeedy Gonzo!

315 is also shut for the forseeable future whilst they move the Heathrow Express escape duct and demolish the end of the pier to (eventually) accomodate the widening of taxiway Bravo.

A380 due March 2006.

Ciao

Point Seven
19th Jan 2006, 20:17
Gonzo

That was a clarification no-one asked for or needed. Point5 was entirely correct in their assertions and their position within the aviation community is one that is nearly as lofty as mine own. So he knows his stuff.

P7

Atcham Tower
20th Jan 2006, 08:56
The word on the taxiway is that the A380 will do some flybys at Hawarden (where the wings are built) and then land at Manchester. Maybe to LHR thereafter. This will happen in March, dependent upon the test programme.

egnxema
20th Jan 2006, 11:55
Can we expect a Rolls-Royce Derby flypast too sometime? In the past there have been very large RR Staff viewing days at EMA when one of the new products is parked up for the RR staff to see.

Anyone heard when the big mama might show off her under belly in the Derbyshire skies?

PaperTiger
20th Jan 2006, 15:24
Hawarden (where the wings are built)and occasionally dropped :oh:

Gonzo
20th Jan 2006, 16:41
Hearty apologies, P7. I must have been under the mistaken impression that those people not lucky enough to see the output from Heathrow ATC's glorious Operations Department, might have inferred from point5's post that Pier 6 now extended all the way across, and thus that the R cul-de-sac was now closed. In retrospect I now see that I was completely and utterly out of order, and unreservedly apologise for any heartache my comments caused to point5, and hope I can be forgiven. :{

In the future if I see a post I believe I can clarify for the benefit of readers' understanding, I will wait patiently for you to ask me......:p

apaddyinuk
20th Jan 2006, 18:40
Oh Gonzo...You really are scoffing that humble pie!!! :}

Point Seven
20th Jan 2006, 21:23
And rightly so. Being fed by one such as I tastes good, don't it Gonze?:ok:

P7

Gonzo
21st Jan 2006, 17:21
I must have annoyed the great Point 7, he's gone and cancelled our Valentine's jaunt to Copenhagen....what's the matter P7, was it my words, or how I said them? I'll buy you some flowers, dear......

Being fed by one such as I tastes good, don't it Gonze?
Oh yes, oysters, strawberries, the lot. very romantic....:O

BOAC
22nd Jan 2006, 07:25
Steady folk! I'll have you off to 'Agony Aunt' as quick as a flash.:)

jondc9
27th Jan 2006, 21:03
isn't it true that the A380 will only have thrust reversers on 2 of its 4 engines? not a joke, a question.

Phil Hudson
27th Jan 2006, 21:21
isn't it true that the A380 will only have thrust reversers on 2 of its 4 engines? not a joke, a question.

Yeah, at least at this stage the allmighty 380 has thrust reversers only on #2 and #3.
That's because it's wingspan is much wider than any other plane landing on any other runway, and the risk of sucking in unwanted objects in the outboard engines is a factor.
Last but not least it doesen't need thrust reversers on all 4 to stop.
EDIT: John, you are rated on 119 more aircraft types than me, dunno why i bother to answer you, or why you are asking.

HOODED
27th Jan 2006, 21:23
Yes just the inboards, simplifies things and with all those wheels to brake who needs all 4 reversing?

Airbus Student
27th Jan 2006, 21:28
At the moment it seems that having only two thrusters on the '380 is working out quite well. As far as I know Airbus are planning to stick with this design.

However if one of the engines that has the reverse thrust has to be shut down during flight, then would this be a problem upon bringing the aircraft to a halt when landing?

Phil Hudson
27th Jan 2006, 21:30
At the moment it seems that having only two thrusters on the '380 is working out quite well. As far as I know Airbus are planning to stick with this design.

However if one of the engines that has the reverse thrust has to be shut down during flight, then would this be a problem upon bringing the aircraft to a halt when landing?

Not more of a problem than stopping a 2 engine jet with one engine.

Joetom
27th Jan 2006, 21:38
Belive Airbus wanted none, but customer pilots wanted some. so, two were fitted in the Nbr2 and 3 positions.

Would expect later 380's to have none.

BusyB
27th Jan 2006, 21:45
Phil Hudson,
Am I dumb or is the amount of reverse thrust available from 1 out of 4 less than the amount available from 1 out of 2.
The number of thoughtless posts on these forums increases by the day!

Phil Hudson
27th Jan 2006, 22:00
Phil Hudson,
Am I dumb or is the amount of reverse thrust available from 1 out of 4 less than the amount available from 1 out of 2.
The number of thoughtless posts on these forums increases by the day!

The A380 has 50% of all its engines set with thrust reversers,
the 777 has 100% of all its engines set with thrust reversers.
SO, if a 380 goes short of one engine to kick bacwards it isn't
more critical than if a 777 does the same.
On both types thrust reversers isn't a certification minima.

BusyB
27th Jan 2006, 22:14
If thats true re certificated reverse I apologise. It still is only half the effective reverse of a 777 though!

TotalBeginner
30th Jan 2006, 22:27
At the moment it seems that having only two thrusters on the '380 is working out quite well

What's a thruster??? Thought this was something you find on a spacecraft??

barit1
31st Jan 2006, 14:48
IIRC the early brochures for the A340-500/600 stated reversers would not be fitted. It was probably customer pressure that reversed (heh...) that plan.

Rainboe
31st Jan 2006, 15:02
People- get the need for thrust reversers off your mind! All landing performance is calculated without including any thrust reverse. On these really big engines, it is quite common to find the mechanism doesn't travel correctly and reverse won't apply. They are also not very efficient at actually reverse thrusting. Nice to have when conditions are pretty horrible, but any aeroplane can land perfectly satisfactorily without applying reverse thrust at all! It is a perfectly sensible decision for Airboos not to install it in the outboards- FOD ingestion and it is a big engine to have all that reverse so far from the centreline- I recall a 747 taking a swim in the Pacific for this reason.

BOAC
31st Jan 2006, 21:16
All landing performance is calculated without including any thrust reverse. - :eek:not contaminated for 737NG, sir, if you read the Midway thread.:eek: - and that has rocked a few conceptions!

Bealzebub
31st Jan 2006, 21:36
The answer is simple.

It was done to save weight.

barit1
31st Jan 2006, 21:41
Rainboe - to update you on this issue:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Pressrel/2006/060127.htm

Hermano Lobo
8th Feb 2006, 10:49
"Aeroflot Tupolev 104 this is Gatwick tower. Do not release your parachute after landing!"

ARINC
8th Feb 2006, 14:39
There are inumerable post in PPRUNE about the fact that reverse thrust gets only slightly more than zero credit for stopping performance. Modern Jets don't rely on TR for stoppng it's all brakes.

BOAC
8th Feb 2006, 15:56
Except 737 NG on contaminated, ARINC!!

ARINC
8th Feb 2006, 19:14
Except 737 NG on contaminated, ARINC!!
Well what do you expect when you buy boeing...:ok:

night hawk 150
12th Feb 2006, 21:16
hi looking on the flyer forum there are rumours of the A380 visiting Manchester on 10th june and heathrow some time in april can anyone here confirm this.

is there an definate dates for the big bird at UK airports.

Regards
Craig:confused:

Full Emergency
12th Feb 2006, 21:51
I don't know when the A380 will be visiting LHR, although I know they are currenlty strengthening both runways for it's arrival in due course at the minute. I would imagine that it would go to LHR first though.

This is from the Skyport Newspaper. They had some article on there about a charity 'fun-run' along one of the runways in order to raise money for charity

FE

Leezyjet
12th Feb 2006, 23:45
The A380 is due to visit LHR on the 29/30th April. Had it confirmed last night from the BAA ODM.

13th Feb 2006, 18:40
Will the A380 be able to operate out of any of these airports on their exisiting runways/taxiways/aprons?

London Heathrow
London Gatwick
London Stansted
Luton
Manchester
Birmingham
Glasgow
Edinburgh

captain_flynn
13th Feb 2006, 18:44
As far as I know, Heathrow has been preparing for the A380 for quite some time now?

Does anyone know when the A380 will be visiting London Heathrow? Last month I heard a rumour that it was February 13th (today)?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Feb 2006, 18:56
..end of April according to another thread.

captain_flynn
13th Feb 2006, 20:32
Ah okay! I would like to get over there to see it arrive.

point5
15th Feb 2006, 08:39
If you wanna come over and see it, Leezyjet has hit the nail on the head!

ARINC
17th Feb 2006, 17:59
If your in the Hamburg area you might just see MSN0007 arriving on March 6th, date accurate as of last week.

An update on this is below.

banewboi
21st Feb 2006, 15:05
It might sound odd but DSA (old RAF FNY) has one of the longest runways in britain, has acres and acres of spare land and loads of space for everything really, does anyone think that someone might base engineering there or anything like that qantas are offering options to dsa in 2008 whether this will be via codeshare ba flights or not who can say? the airport is at presnet pretty badly run but could be an absolute diamond of the north with the right input!

ARINC
22nd Feb 2006, 14:40
MSN0007 arrived in Hamburg today..Early believe it or not !! Being preped for evac tests next week.

ALLDAYDELI
23rd Feb 2006, 16:05
SOURCE : FLIGHT INTERNATIONAL.COM

Heathrow visitor centre sets April date for Airbus A380 London visit

The Airbus A380 could pay a visit to London’s Heathrow airport in late April as part of its airport "fit check" tests that has seen the ultralarge airliner so far take in Brisbane, Dubai, Frankfurt, Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne, Singapore and Sydney.

Speculation is mounting that one of the test aircraft will set down on the London airport’s runway in late April. Flight's 24h news service Air Transport Intelligence has learnt that 29 April is the favourite date, with the aircraft set to make an overnight stay.

Airbus has already carried out airport compatibility trials for the A380 at Frankfurt Main, but Heathrow is likely to be the first to host regular A380 services from the end of this year and Airbus is keen to test facilities at the UK's main hub. The Heathrow visitor centre says it has been informed that the A380 will arrive on 29-30 April but is unable to give details on activity plans for the jet.

However, Heathrow airport operator BAA says a date is not final, adding that “29 April would be too busy", as it is a Saturday prior to a public holiday.

Airbus is also unable to confirm the 29 April date, with any date being determined by the demands of the flight-test programme, saying: “This would be subject to change”. The company says it would have “serious doubts” that a provisional schedule fixed two months in advance would remain unaffected.

Virgin Atlantic, the only UK customer for the A380, says that it is unaware of a date for the A380’s first arrival into Heathrow. The carrier has postponed development of an A380 hangar at the airport following the deferral of delivery dates for the type.

The visitor centre is gearing up for record numbers for any A380 arrival. However, aircraft enthusiasts could be disappointed if they are hoping to catch a glimpse of the aircraft, as any operations would be restricted to the airport's southern runway (27L/09R), which has been widened and its taxiways repositioned to accommodate the giant. However this is furthest away from the visitor centre and work to allow A380 operations on the northern runway (27R/09L) will are not due to be completed until 2008.

Modifications at London Heathrow to accommodate the A380 also include the construction of a four-gate contact Pier 6 (a BAA artist's impression of which is pictured below) at Terminal 3. Terminal 4 will also have A380 stands and the new Terminal 5 will include A380 gates when it opens in 2008.

747FOCAL
23rd Feb 2006, 19:55
Whats this I hear that when full of fuel the A380 flexes so much some of the doors won't open.

ARINC
24th Feb 2006, 17:12
Whats this I hear that when full of fuel the A380 flexes so much some of the doors won't open.

oh dear.....more complete rubbish

banewboi
25th Feb 2006, 15:33
will the a380 land at dsa's huge runway for engineering?

Digitalis
27th Feb 2006, 14:58
Is DSA that huge really?

London Heathrow:

09L/27R 12802ft/3902m PCN 83
09R/27L 12008ft/3660m PCN 83

London Gatwick:

08R/26L 10879ft/3316m PCN 78

MoD Boscombe Down

05/23 10538ft/3212m LCG lll

RAF Brize Norton:

08/26 10007ft/3050m PCN 81

London Stansted:

05/23 10000ft/3048m PCN 86

Campbeltown (RAF Macrihanish):

11/29 10003ft/3049m LCG lll

Manchester:

06L/24R 10000ft/3048m PCN 94
06R/24L 9997ft/3047m PCN 79

RAF Fairford:

09/27 9994ft/3046m PCN 105

Doncaster Sheffield:

02/20 9491ft/2893m PCN 63

Well, it's just outside the top 10 in UK. There are several others in the 9000ft region. It does have the advantage of having a 60m width runway, but its PCN (pavement strength) is very low at 63, which is insufficient for many current widebodies, let alone the A380. Its taxiways, IIRC (I was based there for 5 years), are probably too narrow also, as well as being too weak.

I suspect that the cost of bringing DSA up to spec for the A380 is too much to make it viable. In any case, all the European operators of the aeroplane have their engineering plans in hand already. Finningley's a great place, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the A380 coming there!

banewboi
27th Feb 2006, 16:42
3 747 f's landed last year and there is a 767-300 based here this summer, but the taxiways are quite narrow, what do you think the prospects are for the latest heathrow of the north?

lol

BN2A
27th Feb 2006, 21:38
Can anyone confirm that the Singapore painted A380 flew westbound over Cairo at about 1400z today (27/2) at FL380/400??

Just wanted to know that I had seen it!!! Looked kind of cool!!!

:cool:

Few Cloudy
28th Feb 2006, 16:07
Yep, it would have been pretty cool - 56.5°C. at FL380...

BN2A
28th Feb 2006, 16:14
Hold on.. You've just dropped your spinning bow tie!!!

:p

Gone Sailing
1st Mar 2006, 04:53
Has anyone heard about the premature failure of the A380 wing, during destruction testing.

Apparently the wing ruptured 3% before the 150% load test of the wing flex.

If this is true All I can see is that they are going to have to reduce its MTOW or modefy the wing.

What would this mean for the aircarft fitter with wings that have already been assembled ?

Sounds like the A380 might not be the success story that Airbus was hoping for it to be.

What with the separation and fuel burn issues, and now the MTOW issue.

Sounds like they got it wrong on the A340 redesign also. not much interest in the 'Four Engines For Long Haul' logic.

Boeing's twins are kicking the proverbial butt. Longer Range, Less Fuel, Quieter.....

EDIT: No point in opening up a topic, GS, which has already been extensively aired on PPRune. I have merged your two posts (4 minutes apart) as well.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=211461&page=3&highlight=Airbus

chornedsnorkack
3rd Mar 2006, 09:54
What time of day is A-380 expected to enter into service?

I am not asking day, or even year - it is hoped that it would be in 2006, probably in December. The route, however, is well-known and announced - from Singapore to Sydney.

SQ flies from Singapore to Sydney 3 times a day - departing 1:05, 9:40 and 20:40.

Is it known which of those times is the time for A380 entry into service? And if not, can it be guessed?

myrtleman
4th Mar 2006, 09:20
I've been away on business for the last couple of weeks, but a friend was telling last night about a BBC news report of the A380 landing at LHR at some point in the last week.

Now he could well have gotten confused with his details and seemed a little vague. I can't seem to find any information anywhere. Also I didn't think it was due at LHR until later this year.

I wonder if someone could clear my confusion.

Cheers,
MM

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Mar 2006, 10:24
I'm about 99.99999% certain that it never went to Heathrow last week. Last I heard was the dates 29-30th April being talked about..

boeing 737 fan
5th Mar 2006, 20:31
hi does anybody know when the first passenger flight will be with the Airbus A380. I was just wondering when the big beast was getting up into the air commercially

chornedsnorkack
6th Mar 2006, 07:39
tomorrow from Southend to Palma.
leaves 10.30.
No.
From Singapore to Sydney.

Hopefully some time this year, probably December.

The problem is, SQ publishes their timetables a year ahead - and those show only Boeing 747 flights. No A380 scheduled.

point5
6th Mar 2006, 21:40
Ah yes, but changing a timetable last minute to a larger aircraft is easier to do than change it for a smaller one! At least everyone will have a seat (or 2!)

Cheers!

chornedsnorkack
7th Mar 2006, 07:30
Ah yes, but changing a timetable last minute to a larger aircraft is easier to do than change it for a smaller one! At least everyone will have a seat (or 2!)
Cheers!
The actual seat layout of the SQ A380 are a big secret. However, there are mentions of about 460-470 seats. Haven´t heard the breakdown by class - except that no premium economy is planned, instead there is more room throughout economy.

The SQ B744-s have 372 or 375 seats. 12 First, 50 Raffles and 310 or 313 Economy.

Getting to wonder... how many people already hold tickets to the first flight and have no clue till they see the plane at the gate? SQ will have about 90...100 seats extra for any interested press and VIPs and favourite customers. Does SQ offer any preseating?

ARINC
10th Mar 2006, 18:07
I Just uploaded this....more to come.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3046542226114078023

night hawk 150
12th Mar 2006, 22:03
that was a truly fantastic film and is great watching on broadband great find and well done to you.

MerchantVenturer
15th Mar 2006, 18:58
BBC Bristol Ceefax says today that the A380 will land at Filton on Saturday 10 June 2006 so that workers can see the end result of their labours.

Airbus is organising a special event to mark the aircraft's visit, though the Ceefax report does not specify the form it will take.

under_exposed
16th Mar 2006, 16:48
10th of June is the Airbus Friends and families day at Filton.

MerchantVenturer
17th Mar 2006, 16:19
A report in the Bristol Evening Post quotes an Airbus spokeswoman denying the 10 June date.

She says the hope is to get it to Filton by sometime in June but nothing has been finalised and test flights must take priority.

supercarb
18th Mar 2006, 13:55
It will not actually land, more likely just do a flypast like the A340-600 did at the last Families' Day.

baigar
20th Mar 2006, 12:25
Hi, at the moment a big aircraft (completely white and looking like an A380) is circling over Oberpfaffenhofen. Since 1200h it is flying always the same route above DLRs facility with gear out. Does anyone know what they are doing there? Some pictures (OK, they are not really good) can be seen at http://www.baigar.de/a380/...

baigar
22nd Mar 2006, 07:20
Hi, at the moment a big aircraft (completely white and looking like an A380) is circling over Oberpfaffenhofen. Since 1200h it is flying always the same route above DLRs facility with gear out. Does anyone know what they are doing there? Some pictures (OK, they are not really good) can be seen at http://www.baigar.de/a380/...
The newspaper "Süddeutsche" had an article about the tests: A380 came from Tulouse for tests at DLR. According tor the newspaper one topic were measurements regarding the turbulences caused by A380 which might be a danger for following aircraft. The results are used to determine the minimum time which there has to be after a A380 started/landed before the next aircraft can follow...
Nice aspect: Lots of people worried about the big aircraft flying often over thier heads and more than 100 called the police :)

gibsonsj80
4th Apr 2006, 15:40
Is anyone aware of the first flight of the A380 in the UK? I thought I saw somewhere that it was coming to LHR as part of the flight test programme in April? :bored:

Cheers

Flightman
4th Apr 2006, 19:48
Is anyone aware of the first flight of the A380 in the UK? I thought I saw somewhere that it was coming to LHR as part of the flight test programme in April? :bored:

Cheers

April 30th. :ok:

point5
4th Apr 2006, 21:13
As far as I am aware, the first visit has been put back once again to mid-May. Don't quote me on it - I just try and control the buggers!

Cheers!

Flightman
5th Apr 2006, 10:51
As far as I am aware, the first visit has been put back once again to mid-May. Don't quote me on it - I just try and control the buggers!
Cheers!

Haven't heard that, i'll dig around and see what i can find out.

GrahamK
5th Apr 2006, 13:56
Aye, the visit at the end of April has been postponed, dunno when it's due to be in LHR now.
Still planned for Filton in June or July however :ok:

chevvron
5th Apr 2006, 14:41
Filton July I would guess; this would fit in with Farnborough.

My Dad's Little Boy
5th Apr 2006, 15:19
It's due at Filton on 10th June (according to the BBC Ceefax News a couple of weeks ago). :ok:

Mogget
5th Apr 2006, 16:34
So, when is it visiting Manchester ? :)

bigflesh2005
6th Apr 2006, 14:35
It's due at Filton on 10th June (according to the BBC Ceefax News a couple of weeks ago). :ok:

filton make some parts of it so i bet it goes their at some time to test it. is it wings?

Ross Nelson
9th Apr 2006, 09:37
Hey,
Does anybody know when airbus are planning on bringing the A380 to Heathrow? I heard late April but can't find anything up on their website.
Thanks.:ok:

Sir George Cayley
10th Apr 2006, 14:56
The date has been circulated to those of us who need to know.

If you have not been told..............

Sir George Cayley

point5
10th Apr 2006, 15:06
It has also been circulated to us in ATC. Looks like we 'need to know' then!

Gonzo
10th Apr 2006, 15:10
Has it?

:confused: :confused:

point5
10th Apr 2006, 15:12
Well when I say circulated, I mean if you ask the guys in ops they will be more than willing to tell you the date and plan for its visit! Paperwork will follow soon, well one would hope so as its due on .....:mad:

Gonzo
10th Apr 2006, 20:07
I mean if you ask the guys in ops

Exactly... :} (not you Point7) Would be nice to know a little.

One asked the GM for the date.....

hobie
10th Apr 2006, 21:23
everyone I know seems to have pencilled in 29/30th April ....

Gonzo
10th Apr 2006, 22:30
AFAIK late April has been cancelled.

HZ123
21st Apr 2006, 18:04
Told by the BAA this morning that A380 expected at LHR T/3 on the 19th May. Any other sources of confirmation?

Pilotdom
22nd Apr 2006, 19:19
Was at Manchester today,watching the parents in Law fly out and used it as an excuse to visit the viewing park. Whilst in the Shop an ATCO came in and was speaking to the guy behind the counter and said that the A380 will definately be at Man on 10th June!

nickhewett
24th Apr 2006, 11:54
Sunday Times quoted "sources" as saying A380 at Heathrow arriving May 18th.

SirToppamHat
24th Apr 2006, 20:33
Although I am a regular on PPrune, I don't have any great interest in the civil side of the house. However, I came across a video this evening that was sufficiently interesting to make me want to share it.
I found my way top this thread and thought I'd just check to see if it had been posted before. However, I gave up after Page 27, so please excuse me if it is a repeat, and if someone lets me know I will remove this post.
Right, back to Military Aircrew.
Oh and here's the video:

A380 Being Built in a Few Minutes (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3046542226114078023)

Regards
STH

White Hart
25th Apr 2006, 23:09
Sunday Times quoted "sources" as saying A380 at Heathrow arriving May 18th.

looks good - told today that 18th is the day, (after Berlin Air Show), followed by overnight stop & dep next morning.

I can never understand all the "secrecy" that surrounds visits like this one. the word always gets out, and the spotters always turn up. Big deal.:hmm: within a few months it'll all be old hat anyway.

oldlag53
26th Apr 2006, 09:55
A little birdie within BAA has forwarded an internal email to me today which states that the A380 is indeed confirmed for a LHR fam visit on May 18th, arrival time is 12 midday...

Now I will have to go and eat my laptop - damn...

rubberjungle
28th Apr 2006, 18:51
I seem to remember hearing it was due to visit this weekend, does anyone know if it is and if not then when is it supposed to?

Thanks all.

Airline Tycoon
28th Apr 2006, 19:22
FROM THE BAA WEBSITE:

A380 to make its British debut at BAA Heathrow
26 April 2006

BAA Heathrow will welcome the world’s largest commercial airliner, the Airbus A380, on 18 May 2006, when it makes its British debut to carry out airport compatibility checks.

The A380 will arrive on Heathrow’s Southern Runway and will park at Terminal 3, Pier 6 - a new purpose built £100 million facility that is a 280 metre long, three-storey high pier which can accommodate up to four A380s at a time.

During its UK visit, BAA and Airbus will be carrying out ground handling and airport compatibility trials, which will help to ensure that everything is ready for aircraft’s entry into service. Airlines planning to operate the A380 at Heathrow include the first to begin scheduled service - Singapore Airlines – for whom deliveries are scheduled before year end; as well as Emirates, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

Airbus programmes generate around 140,000 direct and indirect jobs in the UK. At least 22,000 of these jobs result from the A380 - with the figures increasing further when taking into account UK engine manufacturing through Rolls-Royce and its supply chain – which provides the Trent 900 engine as an option on the A380. More than 400 companies throughout the UK are contributing to the A380 programme.

When: Thursday 18 May 2006
Time: 12:00

Important note: All media must contact BAA before 11 May 2006 to arrange accreditation for the event. Media will not be admitted without prior arrangement.

rubberjungle
28th Apr 2006, 19:29
Thanks for that just the info I needed.

Typically I will be away on a 4 day trip so will miss it, I live near Farnborough so will have to wait till the airshow.

All who are lucky enough to see it, Enjoy..

Dizzee Rascal
29th Apr 2006, 09:37
I thought I saw an A380 over BIG at about FL300 yesterday. Didn't see any mention of it in the Enthusiasts section so guess it must have been something else!

point5
29th Apr 2006, 22:31
Should be an interesting night shift for us on 18th. 380 due in at 12 noon from Berlin on 18th, will park on stand 303, due out at 05:50 on 19th. All times subject to change.

Cheers!

Point Seven
30th Apr 2006, 00:05
point5

Last time I tell you anythin.

P7:yuk:

resetsatis
30th Apr 2006, 09:22
So the big machine is coming to LHR on the 18th of May according to dutch pprune...?

skyman1
30th Apr 2006, 09:45
..and to Filton, Hawarden and Manchester onJune 10th!

skyman1
30th Apr 2006, 09:51
...also appearing at Filton, Hawarden and Manchester on June 10th?

Farrell
30th Apr 2006, 10:26
I think I'll go out and buy a new anorak!

captain_flynn
30th Apr 2006, 10:51
Is that for definite that it will be May 18th?

poss
1st May 2006, 17:23
Thats so much better!

Ok here are the requested "photoshopped" images of the stretched A380.

Original (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stevemorris9999/detail?.dir=47b3&.dnm=58ab.jpg&.src=ph)
Stretched (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stevemorris9999/detail?.dir=47b3&.dnm=2ff8.jpg&.src=ph)
Emirates A380-900 (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stevemorris9999/detail?.dir=47b3&.dnm=a65e.jpg&.src=ph)

I think the stretched version will look far more appealing.

vapilot2004
2nd May 2006, 06:22
May 18 to LHR it is. - No longer a rumor - right from the horses
mouth:
:}

A380 to make its British debut at London Heathrow
26 April 2006

The world's largest commercial airliner, the 555 seat Airbus A380, will make its British debut when it flies into London's Heathrow Airport on 18th May 2006, to carry out airport compatibility checks in conjunction with airport operator British Airports Authority (BAA). London Heathrow is likely to be the A380's first European destination when it enters scheduled service.

The aircraft, powered by four Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines, will be parking at Heathrow's new Pier 6 at Terminal 3. The 280 metre long, three-storey high pier, has aircraft stands to accommodate up to four A380s at a time and four gate-rooms which together seat 2,200 passengers. The facilities are designed to handle both very large aircraft and smaller aircraft types.

Four A380s have now flown. Two aircraft are actively involved in the intensive flight test programme which has already reached over 1,000 flight hours - one of these will be visiting Heathrow. Two others are undergoing cabin installation in Hamburg.

During its UK visit, the A380 will be carrying out ground handling and airport compatibility trials. These will help to ensure that everything is ready for the aircraft's entry into service. Airlines planning to operate the A380 at Heathrow include the first to begin scheduled service - Singapore Airlines – for whom deliveries are scheduled before year end; as well as Emirates, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways and Virgin Atlantic. Currently firm orders for the A380 stand at 159 aircraft for 16 customers.

Airbus programmes generate around 140,000 direct and indirect jobs in the UK. At least 22,000 of these jobs result from the A380 - with the figures increasing further when taking into account UK engine manufacturing through Rolls-Royce and its supply chain - which provides the Trent 900 engine as an option on the A380. More than 400 companies throughout the UK are contributing to the A380 programme, including the two Airbus UK sites (Filton near Bristol and Broughton, North Wales).

Work valued at over £7.5 billion has been placed in the UK on the A380 programme, through Britain's responsibility for its wings, landing gear and fuel systems. Over the life of the programme this figure is set to more than double to well in excess of £15 billion (plus the Rolls-Royce engines, which are set to generate work valued at a further £11 billion over the programme life).

A380 to make its British debut at London Heathrow
26 April 2006

The world's largest commercial airliner, the 555 seat Airbus A380, will make its British debut when it flies into London's Heathrow Airport on 18th May 2006, to carry out airport compatibility checks in conjunction with airport operator British Airports Authority (BAA). London Heathrow is likely to be the A380's first European destination when it enters scheduled service.

The aircraft, powered by four Rolls Royce Trent 900 engines, will be parking at Heathrow's new Pier 6 at Terminal 3. The 280 metre long, three-storey high pier, has aircraft stands to accommodate up to four A380s at a time and four gate-rooms which together seat 2,200 passengers. The facilities are designed to handle both very large aircraft and smaller aircraft types.

Four A380s have now flown. Two aircraft are actively involved in the intensive flight test programme which has already reached over 1,000 flight hours - one of these will be visiting Heathrow. Two others are undergoing cabin installation in Hamburg.

During its UK visit, the A380 will be carrying out ground handling and airport compatibility trials. These will help to ensure that everything is ready for the aircraft's entry into service. Airlines planning to operate the A380 at Heathrow include the first to begin scheduled service - Singapore Airlines – for whom deliveries are scheduled before year end; as well as Emirates, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways and Virgin Atlantic. Currently firm orders for the A380 stand at 159 aircraft for 16 customers.

Airbus programmes generate around 140,000 direct and indirect jobs in the UK. At least 22,000 of these jobs result from the A380 - with the figures increasing further when taking into account UK engine manufacturing through Rolls-Royce and its supply chain - which provides the Trent 900 engine as an option on the A380. More than 400 companies throughout the UK are contributing to the A380 programme, including the two Airbus UK sites (Filton near Bristol and Broughton, North Wales).

Work valued at over £7.5 billion has been placed in the UK on the A380 programme, through Britain's responsibility for its wings, landing gear and fuel systems. Over the life of the programme this figure is set to more than double to well in excess of £15 billion (plus the Rolls-Royce engines, which are set to generate work valued at a further £11 billion over the programme life).

Airbus is an EADS joint company with BAE Systems.

Hermano Lobo
2nd May 2006, 16:46
Allegedly the wing failed in a test at 1.47 instead of the required 1.50.

Will this effect the certification ?

Is it serious ?

Hand Solo
2nd May 2006, 16:52
It depends why it failed. The C-17 failed a similar test but investigation revealed that the loading had not been applied correctly, giving greater concentrations of stress in some areas than had been designed for. If the flaw is in the testing process rather than the wing then it shouldn't be serious.

Trinity 09L
2nd May 2006, 16:57
09R or 09L if they are on Easterlies? any difference for maneourving around the CTA? I will be on my roof for 09L ;)

4SPOOLED
3rd May 2006, 06:59
I must admit, the A380 has always seemed like an ugly duckling to me and has not the slightest peice of elegance, however the stretched -900 looks quite sleek, i wouldn't mind flying one of them, however give me a 777/787 anyday!

under_exposed
9th May 2006, 07:55
I have heard that the A380 will fly over Filton on the way to/from Heathrow, Does anyone know if this is true?

chornedsnorkack
9th May 2006, 10:08
See:
http://www.flightglobal.com/Assets/...px?ItemID=12637

474 seats in 6 different configurations... the default 555 seat interior has 4 configurations.
Next week, 474 passengers are supposed to sit there for 5 hours and never start engines. However, they are supposed to keep APU, IFE and other amenities functional...

Flightman
9th May 2006, 11:58
09R or 09L if they are on Easterlies? any difference for maneourving around the CTA? I will be on my roof for 09L ;)

09R I'm afraid. Its stand will be at Pier 6, so its the best option. NATS told me yesterday.

MerchantVenturer
9th May 2006, 12:25
I have heard that the A380 will fly over Filton on the way to/from Heathrow, Does anyone know if this is true?
There was an article in the Bristol Evening Post a day or two ago that said exactly that - can't remember whether the overflying will be before or after the LHR visit though.

The Evening Post was not at all happy, saying to do this rather than land (as was intimated by Airbus some time ago when the visit to Filton was first put into the public domain) amounts to a major snub to the many workers at Filton who have put so much into making the 380 possible.

under_exposed
9th May 2006, 12:50
Is the 18th not in addition to the visit on the 10th of June?

MerchantVenturer
9th May 2006, 16:16
Again relying on info provided in the Evening Post, that journal carried stories some weeks ago in which an Airbus spokeswoman denied that the 380 would be coming to Filton on 10 June although they would try to get the giant to Filton some time in the summer for the workers to see it. There was a clear inference in this that the aircraft would land when it did come.

It now seems the flypast is the best they will get.

zoink
12th May 2006, 10:37
Sneaky Request Time :E

With the A380 scheduled to arrive next week 18th May, can the LHR Director (if on Easterlies) please by chance try and make sure the big bird has a nice long approach prefereably doing its turn onto finals over Reading?

That would be a nice site to see!! :)

thanks
z..

GBALU53
12th May 2006, 17:12
With the news that Heathrow will have the Airbus 380 for trials on this comming thursday which a lot of us are looking forward to.:ok: :ok:

The BAA are hoping the winds will be from the west so 27R and 27L are the operational runways.

There concern is if they are on 09L and 09R as the aircraft flys over the M25 there could be a number of distractions on the road and possible accidents.

The ideal runway they are hoping to use for land will be 27L.

Many years ago when Brymon operated there Dash 7 aircraft due to them being so slow on approach it caused a nuber of car accidents as drivers were overtaking the Dash when on finals although the drivers should be concentrating on the road but certain aircraft are a distraction.

All of us are looking forward for the arrival and we do hope it all goes to plan without any incident.:ok: :ok:

gordonroxburgh
12th May 2006, 19:33
There concern is if they are on 09L and 09R as the aircraft flys over the M25 there could be a number of distractions on the road and possible accidents.

What crap!

I did not seem to remember too many accidents at 5pm when a certain pointy thing used to land.

GBALU53
12th May 2006, 21:46
Ref your reply re the Airbus A380 crap is with two ps to be politically correct

If you were around in the days of Dash Seven operations by Brymon Airways,you would understand the touch down speed for the Dash Seven is less than the speed limit,and this was the problem that some drivers found it unusual to be overtaking a commercial.

Your comment about a certain did get peoples eye when driving but the touch down speed of this aircraft is 3 times if not more than a Dash 7.

We all look forward to Thursday without any incidents it will get drivers eyes turning being a differant type operating into the City.:ok:

Point Seven
13th May 2006, 08:56
I have always been under the misapprehension that the landing runway is something to do with wind direction...????:rolleyes:

P7

point5
13th May 2006, 09:09
Thats why you work in Ops!
:ugh:

MyData
13th May 2006, 09:22

This *HAS* happened at Blagnac whereby unsuspecting motorists on the nearby dual carriageway have been 'distracted' during landings and caused minor accidents.